Glass half full/glass half empty

6 hours ago, Doctor Duran said:

Luongo constantly gave away silly fouls in dangerous areas.  This was his biggest weakness.

Decent player when on it.. not enough of a goal threat and not fit enough over the course of a season.

Vaulks will be an upgrade.. give him time to settle tho like all the new players.

Nobody preaches that more than I do I can assure you.

My post wasn't a slight on Vaulks, I think he's an excellent signing for us.

People are asking about Smith, Gregory and Windass and how they fit. Is there a chance we'll see Smith and Gregory up top in the 3-5-2 and Windass playing in the 'Bannan' position behind them in the attacking midfield role?

I know that will get people grumbling about Bannan playing deeper (alongside Vaulks, I presume). But he played that deeper role under Carlos, Jos and Bruce and was, for the most part, excellent. It was only under Monk and Pulis the deeper role didn't work as well.

4 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

People are asking about Smith, Gregory and Windass and how they fit. Is there a chance we'll see Smith and Gregory up top in the 3-5-2 and Windass playing in the 'Bannan' position behind them in the attacking midfield role?

I know that will get people grumbling about Bannan playing deeper (alongside Vaulks, I presume). But he played that deeper role under Carlos, Jos and Bruce and was, for the most part, excellent. It was only under Monk and Pulis the deeper role didn't work as well.

I think that one of Gregory or Windass will leave by the close of the window. 

They will both want as many minutes as possible and Smith has to be first choice.

6 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

But we didn’t have the personnel.

we now do.

Comparing us to Rotherham last season is a more relevant comparison than us in The Championship 3 years ago with completely different players.

Having Smith and tapping it about on the edge of our box is a complete waste of time.

Without BPF, Hutch and Storey, we don’t have the capabilities to pass it around our own box.

Make no mistake, adapting to the players he has chosen to bring in will be Moore’s biggest test. Warne or Ainsworth would love this squad and would expect to get promoted, let’s see if Moore can.

I think he will, why pick these players if he’s not going to take a more pragmatic approach?

Interesting question, Yes. Being tempted to raid Rotherham for mature players who got them promoted leaves open whether the manager is going to completely change his philosophy to use them in the way they are used to playing.

He has strong views on systems and famously helped ruin our chances of staying in the Championship by insisting on immediate changes to the way he wanted it. Remember how he insisted on playing it out from the back, and how he preferred to play one striker when he arrived?
Last season he went big on wingers but then decided to play with wing backs without wingers. 

Hopefully promotion is going to arrive this season by playing to the strengths of the experienced players he has acquired . 

4 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

BB playing too deep led to our best football being played on the halfway line even under CC , but FF’s early brilliance meant it did not matter. 

16 hours ago, catdog1121 said:

I would have liked a bit more youth but given the fact so far they have all been free transfers then I think we have done a great job..  

We have a decent keeper, bpf had a few clangers and he cost us points in the first half of the season so to have such a good keeper from the start for me is more important..

Smith is a 20 goal a season striker and for free whats not to likr

Smith won’t score 20 goals for us next season. He had a freakish season for Rotherham who’s direct football was ideal for him. Won’t suit Moore’s possession based football. He’s not great with the ball at his feet and doesn’t have the pace to run in behind or the movement to find those little pockets of space like Gregory. Poor man’s Nuhiu and we know how he split the fanbase. 

9 minutes ago, victorturner said:

He has strong views on systems and famously helped ruin our chances of staying in the Championship by insisting on immediate changes to the way he wanted it. Remember how he insisted on playing it out from the back, and how he preferred to play one striker when he arrived?
Last season he went big on wingers but then decided to play with wing backs without wingers. 

It's the manager's job to choose a system and make sure that it's implemented.

Your  choice of words is very irritating  "He has strong views on systems... and insists on playing ....".   

What do you expect a manager to do?  Should he just give you a call and follow YOUR advice?

12 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Smith won’t score 20 goals for us next season. He had a freakish season for Rotherham who’s direct football was ideal for him. Won’t suit Moore’s possession based football. He’s not great with the ball at his feet and doesn’t have the pace to run in behind or the movement to find those little pockets of space like Gregory. Poor man’s Nuhiu and we know how he split the fanbase. 

Unlike Nuhiu, Smith wins headers.

2 hours ago, victorturner said:

Interesting question, Yes. Being tempted to raid Rotherham for mature players who got them promoted leaves open whether the manager is going to completely change his philosophy to use them in the way they are used to playing.

Hopefully promotion is going to arrive this season by playing to the strengths of the experienced players he has acquired . 

We spent 44 out of 46 weeks that season in the relegation zone and were in 23rd, 10 points behind Derby County when Moore took over.

3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

We will see..   He got 25 last season, if you watched us play we often created soooo many chances, we were lacking in the clinical phase..  Smith clearly knows where the back of the net is..

13 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

We spent 44 out of 46 weeks that season in the relegation zone and were in 23rd, 10 points behind Derby County when Moore took over.

13 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Maybe they are the facts. But Monk’s earlier table places as a functioning manager had been acceptable given starting under the points deduction and in light of what followed with the same players.

DM  was the new manager actually liked  by the owner after a farce when he appointed TP but did not communicate with him then Neil Thompson a stand in for weeks ( neither a proper functioning manager) .

It’s a personal view, but I expected the “ new manager” effect to lift us, but DM had a negligible effect while obsessing about one striker and passing it out from the back . And still we would have survived on the last day with a win against Derby,  if Dunkley had not been brought back for one match after being out injured for weeks and wrecked the defence by having a nightmare next to two other cb’s.

Getting out of League 1 is so difficult that I still regret how we were allowed to slide down here, and now poaching the two best players of Rotherham to try to find the right personnel.  Rotherham on current positions is or rather was a better team than us! 

Over flowing 

Just being a live and watching the Wednesday is good enough for me never mind what league were in or who we sign, one day I'll not be here to see them play then the glass will be empty...... Up the owls.

• Like 1

My glass is fine crystal and is filled almost to the brim.

If Moore plays Smith & Gregory up front in the first 6 games my glass will overflow like a gushing volcano.

If he feks about with different pairings for the first 6 games my glass may crack and it’s contents slowly but surely dribble onto my shoes.

Guest Whittonowl

Depends.   How big is the glass?

If it’s a Stein size there’s more of the half than in a pint glass

Guest Jack the Hat

Am I missing something? We have added 5 quality signings to a squad which underachieved last season and still finished fourth despite giving the top 6 a ten point start. Everything suggests we will make even more signings before the season starts and in January if required. We are clearly signing players to take us up and provide a solid foundation for the next assault on the championship. The only weak link I see is the manager but I am very confident he learned a lot from his mistakes last year which showed in both his selections and substitutions in the final 10 or so games (excluding Wycombe). How can anyone’s glass be half full. I can’t see a scenario where we don go up automatically I really can’t. I think the Oxford fan in the other thread has nailed it!