Glass half full/glass half empty

We seem to go through this cycle of bigging up the signings we make until we actually have to see them on the grass. What is the glass half-full / glass half-empty scenario for the signings so far? Which signings will turn out to be nearer the positive view and which ones nearer the negative view?

Stockdale (thinking positively): Solid, commanding goalkeeper, will help organise the defence better from set-pieces and kept clean sheet record last season.

Stockdale (thinking negatively): Ageing keeper with a lengthy showreel of clangers, will be a downgrade on BPF.

Heneghan: (+): Commanding centre-back in the air that will make us better defending set pieces and away from home.

Heneghan (-): Another downgrade, last season we had Harlee Dean or Jordan Storey in his role who are better on the ball.

Ihiekwe (+): One of the best defenders in the league, another piece in making us better at set pieces and harder to beat, plus a threat in the other box to boot

Ihiekwe (-): Another right-footer who is going to be asked to play left centre-back and constantly receive the ball on their weaker foot and look uncomfortable

Vaulks (+): Athletic, energetic player who will add legs to the midfield and fill the hole left by Massimo Luongo, plus be fit for more games

Vaulks (-): Luongo was one of the best players in the league, so unless he's exceptional this will be a downgrade - might lack a bit of the class of Luongo, more of an honest trier than the quality of Luongo?

Smith (+): The big, physical presence we need to add another dimension to our game and form a strong partnership with Gregory/Windass

Smith (-): Ageing striker on high wages, not the quickest and might be too similar to Gregory? Will make us more one dimensional without being a prolific goalscorer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

Vaulks (+): Athletic, energetic player who will add legs to the midfield and fill the hole left by Massimo Luongo, plus be fit for more games

Vaulks (-): Luongo was one of the best players in the league, so unless he's exceptional this will be a downgrade - might lack a bit of the class of Luongo, more of an honest trier than the quality of Luongo?

Luongo probably is a better player than Vaulks but the way I'd look at it is if Luongo was an 8/10 for 60% of the season (not got any actual figures to hand just a rough guess.) then Vaulks might be a 7/10 for 90% of the season.

I have no doubt that you'll get more games out of Vaulks which we probably need, as good a player as Mass was for us, he missed large spells in all three seasons here.

• Like 3

I would have liked a bit more youth but given the fact so far they have all been free transfers then I think we have done a great job..  

We have a decent keeper, bpf had a few clangers and he cost us points in the first half of the season so to have such a good keeper from the start for me is more important..

Smith is a 20 goal a season striker and for free whats not to likr

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Our early signings are amazing!! Anyone who says any different Is either a complete tool or just a simpleton!! 

Get off that fence Jack and tell us what you really think.

Totally agree. 

The two CBs play every game and are proven at this level. What a difference it will make to field the same 3 CBs week in week out.

Theyll play in front of the rock-like Stockdale. IMO a safer pair of hands than the very good BPF.

Smith is the biggest one for me. I don’t like Windass up front. Good forward but poor CF. Smith & Gregory is exactly what I wanted to see - two out and out CFs. 

Can’t say I remember Vaulks, but his pedigree is bang on for us.

One more CB now please. If he’s left footed I might just pass out with pleasure.

Good quality cover at WB would be great too, but barring injury I want to see Hunt and Johnson play 40+ games each anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Get off that fence Jack and tell us what you really think.

Totally agree. 

The two CBs play every game and are proven at this level. What a difference it will make to field the same 3 CBs week in week out.

Theyll play in front of the rock-like Stockdale. IMO a safer pair of hands than the very good BPF.

Smith is the biggest one for me. I don’t like Windass up front. Good forward but poor CF. Smith & Gregory is exactly what I wanted to see - two out and out CFs. 

Can’t say I remember Vaulks, but his pedigree is bang on for us.

One more CB now please. If he’s left footed I might just pass out with pleasure.

Good quality cover at WB would be great too, but barring injury I want to see Hunt and Johnson play 40+ games each anyway.

I'm still trying to make my mind up pal if I’m honest 

• Haha 2

Without pace it’s hard to see how we can push the better teams back to get the two forwards in a position to take chances.  We will be able to dominate possession against the weaker teams so not so much of an issue, but the games where we are more evenly matched my fear is we will be easy to defend against and won’t be able to create the chances needed.

the key next signing for me is a flyer on loan from the prem who we can use to stretch a game even if from the bench. 

Definitely half full at the moment. There seems to be a plan to our recruitment and unusual for us to have a full starting 11 for the start of pre season.

I'll reserve judgement until the window ends, but very happy with our business so far.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Owl Be Back said:

More than half full here. I'm really impressed how quickly we've moved in the transfer market this summer and who has been brought in.

More time on the training ground in preseason has to be a huge positive compared to previous years.

The spine of the team is now strong, a couple more options on the wings and one more up top and we'll have a good team going forward.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Without pace it’s hard to see how we can push the better teams back to get the two forwards in a position to take chances.  We will be able to dominate possession against the weaker teams so not so much of an issue, but the games where we are more evenly matched my fear is we will be easy to defend against and won’t be able to create the chances needed.

the key next signing for me is a flyer on loan from the prem who we can use to stretch a game even if from the bench. 

I have thought this for some time now but where would it fit into the side?? 

I think you have to look at who the players coming in are replacing.

Stockdale’s experience gives him the edge over Peacock-Farrell.

Heneghan is a more out and out defender than Hutchinson. Not as good in possession but will arguably play more games.

Ihiekwe is probably better than Dunkley and has a better fitness record.

I think it’s marginal either way with regards to Vaulks/Luongo but Vaulks may be available for selection more which probably edges it in his favour.

Smith is a definite upgrade on Kamberi.

So I think the incomings give us a stronger squad.

We still need a replacement for Berahino which may prove to be tricky.

We need arguably more wide options to replace Mendez-Laing/Shodipo which will probably come from the Loan market.

Work still to do but a decent start to a window that is probably  going to define Moore’s reign here?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I have thought this for some time now but where would it fit into the side?? 

Wide, and also to replace one of the strikers against teams we cant dominate possession against.  If we don’t have this the opposition (the good ones ) will just push us up the park.  This was our downfall in the championship in the end . 

The potential negative of our signings is clear.

It’s no good having the best target man in the division and defensively sound centre backs that aren’t comfortable on the ball if Moore is going to insist on tippy tapping it about in our own area instead of getting the ball forward quickly.

The success or otherwise of our signings will  be totally dependent on whether we adapt our tactics from last season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Wide, and also to replace one of the strikers against teams we cant dominate possession against.  If we don’t have this the opposition (the good ones ) will just push us up the park.  This was our downfall in the championship in the end . 

we don’t play with wingers…the system is wingbacks, which means there as to be a defensive element to their game. I think it would be difficult to fit them in without changing the system/formation 

8 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Luongo probably is a better player than Vaulks but the way I'd look at it is if Luongo was an 8/10 for 60% of the season (not got any actual figures to hand just a rough guess.) then Vaulks might be a 7/10 for 90% of the season.

I have no doubt that you'll get more games out of Vaulks which we probably need, as good a player as Mass was for us, he missed large spells in all three seasons here.

Luongo constantly gave away silly fouls in dangerous areas.  This was his biggest weakness.

Decent player when on it.. not enough of a goal threat and not fit enough over the course of a season.

Vaulks will be an upgrade.. give him time to settle tho like all the new players.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

The potential negative of our signings is clear.

It’s no good having the best target man in the division and defensively sound centre backs that aren’t comfortable on the ball if Moore is going to insist on tippy tapping it about in our own area instead of getting the ball forward quickly.

The success or otherwise of our signings will  be totally dependent on whether we adapt our tactics from last season.

No point getting the ball forward quickly with Gregory and smith up front.  The better teams in the league will play a high ish line against those two 

we will need to play out to pull other teams out of shape to move the team up the park and allow wide players and Bannan to play balls into the front two . 

A key point in the OP is that the game is played on grass and not paper. Henegan may not be a Dean on paper, but what he is, is a bloody good league 1 player. We have signed players to fix our deficiencies from last year to get promoted from this division. We have also built a very strong spine, essential for any good team. I think we already look a lot stronger than we did last year, with more to come. If we can get 30 games from Windass, that will also be a huge improvement.

I’m relatively happy.. I don’t expect Stockdale to be number 1 by the time the season is done, reckon Dawson will take over.

Centre back I think we’re weaker, would be good if we could resign Dean or Storey.

Vaulks and Luongo I’d say about the same. Never really understood the Luongo hype as he’s a mid table championship standard player plus injured all the time. 

Smith is a good signing. We need pace though up front. Not sure Windass will be here by the end of august.

Recruitment under Moore has been relatively decent and it’s not a concern. The issue is his tactics, subs and mentality. Just think next season will be very similar to this one and we’ll end up in the play offs again.. can’t see him leading us to top 2. Also think we have a difficult ish first 10 games so he might come under pressure