Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, steelowl said:

 

They want us to see them as some sort of fierce rivals they aren't in my book,

A bit like the Leeds fans who insist that Manchester United are their main rivals.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

 

This is exactly my opinion on them too. They aren't our rivals and never will be. They mean zero to me as a team. When we lost at home to them last season, it was like losing to an Ipswich, Gillingham or Morecambe - to pick 3 random meaningless teams.

 

I was born in Rotherham, and both my brother and step-father played for them. My dad, Aunty and Uncle support them, but they still mean squat to me. They all try and wind me up, but I just don't bite because I've nothing to bite at. I'm just like "Meh! Rotherham. Whatevs".

 

I'm also from Rotherham and understand just what you mean. It's the the weird obsession though. They've only just stopped talking about Joe McFeckingBride.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldtawnyowl said:

A bit like the Leeds fans who insist that Manchester United are their main rivals.

 

That is a legitimate claim which goes all the way back to the 70's if not before.  Man Und fans hate Leeds as much as Leeds hate them.  Liverpool stepped in the vacuum when Leeds went down

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mighty Quinn said:

See they aren't all bad, they just have their nobheads like every other team including us..

You're not that bad mate 🤣

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

 

This is exactly my opinion on them too. They aren't our rivals and never will be. They mean zero to me as a team. When we lost at home to them last season, it was like losing to an Ipswich, Gillingham or Morecambe - to pick 3 random meaningless teams.

 

I was born in Rotherham, and both my brother and step-father played for them. My dad, Aunty and Uncle support them, but they still mean squat to me. They all try and wind me up, but I just don't bite because I've nothing to bite at. I'm just like "Meh! Rotherham. Whatevs".

Another who doesn't understand the meaning of rivals, look it up in the English dictionary you will see any team we play are RIVALS obviously some are bigger ie blades, leeds but some fans can't seem to accept that because we are a bigger club Rotherham aren't rivals, at the moment they are a division above, they are well run and have a very good manager, sounds like sour grapes to me that some fans can't accept that, I have mates who support them and most of them don't give a crap about us only when they play us, I take the mick and they do but I'll tell you what, for the last 15/20 years they have had the better of it. The Twots lol

Edited by Mighty Quinn
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Another who doesn't understand the meaning of rivals, look it up in the English dictionary you will see any team we play are RIVALS obviously some are bigger ie blades, leeds but some fans can't seem to accept that because we are a bigger club Rotherham aren't rivals, at the moment they are a division above, they are well run and have a very good manager, sounds like sour grapes to me that some fans can't accept that, I have mates who support them and most of them don't give a crap about us only when they play us, I take the mick and they do but I'll tell you what, for the last 15/20 years they have had the better of it. The Twots lol

 

Most Wednesday fans could tell you loads about united their history etc the famous players.  Most Wednesday fans couldn't tell you more than the bascis about rotherham.  They just don't register as a club, most do find them annoying that they are trying to make out they have a meaningful rivalry with us, historically their rivalry was with Doncaster.  Strange club. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

Most Wednesday fans could tell you loads about united their history etc the famous players.  Most Wednesday fans couldn't tell you more than the bascis about rotherham.  They just don't register as a club, most do find them annoying that they are trying to make out they have a meaningful rivalry with us, historically their rivalry was with Doncaster.  Strange club. 

I beg to differ, Barnsley according to my information were there main rivals, they were in the old second division for the longest continuous run for 18 seasons I think while we were always in first division so didn't play them much apparently it was Donny in the 40s though Inspector and why would we be annoyed that they think they are rivals with us, in the real world on planet earth they are rivals it's as simple as that it's just some can't accept it because they are a smaller club, my Rotherham mate hates the fact Bournemouth are where they are because in his opinion they are a smaller club but they have a billionaire chairman, I think we should be thankful that Rotherham only have a millionaire one or they would be in premier league, 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mighty Quinn said:

I beg to differ, Barnsley according to my information were there main rivals, they were in the old second division for the longest continuous run for 18 seasons I think while we were always in first division so didn't play them much apparently it was Donny in the 40s though Inspector and why would we be annoyed that they think they are rivals with us, in the real world on planet earth they are rivals it's as simple as that it's just some can't accept it because they are a smaller club, my Rotherham mate hates the fact Bournemouth are where they are because in his opinion they are a smaller club but they have a billionaire chairman, I think we should be thankful that Rotherham only have a millionaire one or they would be in premier league, 😉 

 

I along with most Wednesday fans aren't bothered what division they are in its like worrying what league Orient are in.  Donny were their rivals

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/06/2022 at 14:36, Albertowl said:

Smudge" playing every game made us one-dimensional...   christ i hope not

History shows that teams playing with a lamppost up front get drawn into playing hoofball. Hope Smith is only used as an impact sub or for nuisance value a la Nuhiu. I thought Toytown were more professional, organised and pragmatic when they beat us at S6 last season but I wouldn’t enjoy watching that every weak. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Does anyone know why Rotherham fans dislike Wednesday but have a love in for United?

 

I would have thought that they’d have equal disdain for both of their bigger neighbours. 

I'll tell you what I know from living in Rotherham and having lots of Millers mates, for a start the one's I know don't like the fact there's so many Rotherham people support Wednesday, they also think it's arrogant and disrespectful to see grown men  walking round Rotherham wearing Wednesday shirts when it's not a match day, and the Blades thing they tell me is just a wind up, they know we don't like it, they don't really give a crop about any of us. Now in answer to those, I must agree I wouldn't walk around Rotherham in my wednesday shirt unless we are playing them, why would I, I have plenty of shirts so unless I wanted to rub their noses in it why wear it unless we are playing them I would only get abuse anyway, and I would expect that because I'm in Rotherham, if I was a Rotherham fan I wouldn't walk round Sheffield in a Rotherham shirt unless it's a match day, I personally think it's a bit arrogant but that's just my opinion 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

I along with most Wednesday fans aren't bothered what division they are in its like worrying what league Orient are in.  Donny were their rivals

Yes I said that, along with Barnsley and us and every other football club they play

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mighty Quinn said:

I'll tell you what I know from living in Rotherham and having lots of Millers mates, for a start the one's I know don't like the fact there's so many Rotherham people support Wednesday, they also think it's arrogant and disrespectful to see grown men  walking round Rotherham wearing Wednesday shirts when it's not a match day, and the Blades thing they tell me is just a wind up, they know we don't like it, they don't really give a crop about any of us. Now in answer to those, I must agree I wouldn't walk around Rotherham in my wednesday shirt unless we are playing them, why would I, I have plenty of shirts so unless I wanted to rub their noses in it why wear it unless we are playing them I would only get abuse anyway, and I would expect that because I'm in Rotherham, if I was a Rotherham fan I wouldn't walk round Sheffield in a Rotherham shirt unless it's a match day, I personally think it's a bit arrogant but that's just my opinion 

 

Genuine question (I'm not from the area): Would you wear a Wednesday shirt in another town? Do you only avoid wearing it in Rotherham?

I kind of like seeing Wednesday shirts all over the UK  (and would be excited to see someone in Europe). It's just something, which identifies us as a group and it's so much better than all those plastic Man City and Barcelona shirts everywhere.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Another who doesn't understand the meaning of rivals, look it up in the English dictionary you will see any team we play are RIVALS obviously some are bigger ie blades, leeds but some fans can't seem to accept that because we are a bigger club Rotherham aren't rivals, at the moment they are a division above, they are well run and have a very good manager, sounds like sour grapes to me that some fans can't accept that, I have mates who support them and most of them don't give a crap about us only when they play us, I take the mick and they do but I'll tell you what, for the last 15/20 years they have had the better of it. The Twots lol

Are talking about Rotherham or blunts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Another who doesn't understand the meaning of rivals, look it up in the English dictionary you will see any team we play are RIVALS obviously some are bigger ie blades, leeds but some fans can't seem to accept that because we are a bigger club Rotherham aren't rivals, at the moment they are a division above, they are well run and have a very good manager, sounds like sour grapes to me that some fans can't accept that, I have mates who support them and most of them don't give a crap about us only when they play us, I take the mick and they do but I'll tell you what, for the last 15/20 years they have had the better of it. The Twots lol

 

I fully understand the meaning of the word. I was born in this country so failing English in school was unpossible.

 

As for your definition, any team we play are opponents, not rivals. Rotherham want to be us, but never can be. Therefore they cannot compete with us, which is essentially what a rival is. To them, we are the bigger, more historic club. To us, they are just a local team. It really does end there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...