Rotherham forum

Guest Jack the Hat
5 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Says who?

If we had a far better squad, why have we just bought 5 new players in? Many of them from other clubs in that same league.

So that we would have a far far better squad.

45 minutes ago, Mighty Quinn said:

These are not exaggerated arguments they are facts 

Screenshot_20220609-190643_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220626-113915_Chrome.jpg

Hmmm....If i was a Rovrum fan wanting to troll a Wednesday site, Mighty Quinn would be a really 'clever' name.

Seeing as Johnny Quin was playing for the Millers and not us when the song came out.

1 hour ago, Mighty Quinn said:

These are not exaggerated arguments they are facts 

Screenshot_20220609-190643_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220626-113915_Chrome.jpg

What survey was this then? Can't see many Wednesday fans picking donny as a rival. We've barely been in the same division as them or Chesterfield in my lifetime anyway. Its only really the last 10 years where we have played Rotherham a bit more regularly. For me it would be Sheffield United, Leeds and Barnsley in that order. Rotherham are as relevant to me as Huddersfield or Hull.

2 hours ago, Mighty Quinn said:

I'm probably older than most of you on here and I remember having a good relationship with the Millers, as has been put on here a lot of owls players have gone to Rotherham because it was a good club to go to, I am a realist and its a fact that Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster and Sheffield United are our rivals, if some of you don't want to accept that that's fine, it's also arrogant that you refuse to accept it, our history will always be better than any of the above clubs and better than most in the Premier league, that can never be taken away but some of you can't accept that smaller teams can be better than us at this time, look at the Sunderland thread, fans on here have been up their arse because they are also a big club, well fk em I say, I am Yorkshire born and bred. The owls are bigger than Sunderland anyway historically, we are just going through a bad 25 or so year bad patch, but we will rise again, we can't blame Rotherham fans for rubbing it in we've rubbed it in for them for donkeys years, let's be more gracious, I know they came with buckets and I put money in, but I also saw wednesday fans spitting and abusing them, and some of them were pensioners with the buckets, very big and brave that, don't forget we had a save our owls also, no buckets but we were also in trouble, I know some Rotherham fans hate us but every local team has fans that will because we are the biggest and best local club  we're here to be shot at but it's the way some of us react that I find stupid, just live and let live and have some banter ffs.

Most sensible post on this thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

What survey was this then? Can't see many Wednesday fans picking donny as a rival. We've barely been in the same division as them or Chesterfield in my lifetime anyway. Its only really the last 10 years where we have played Rotherham a bit more regularly. For me it would be Sheffield United, Leeds and Barnsley in that order. Rotherham are as relevant to me as Huddersfield or Hull.

Its on our clubs wikipedia 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Hmmm....If i was a Rovrum fan wanting to troll a Wednesday site, Mighty Quinn would be a really 'clever' name.

Seeing as Johnny Quin was playing for the Millers and not us when the song came out.

That's right he was but he was my favourite player and a tough midfielder so ie Mighty Quinn was an easy choice for my tag rather than just Quinn or summat don't you think ?

39 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've been silent in this thread but I'll add my two penneth

In my opinion we have one 'derby' that is against the Blunts

To me, derbies are contested by two teams from the same city

Any supporter who supports a team from a one club city will disagree, because they want to be involved in derbies, but truth is, they don't have a derby

Only supporters from a two team city truly know what a derby feels like

Having said that, we also have local rivalries

I feel more rivalry to Barnsley because of it's close proximity, then comes Toytown, Donny, Leeds and Chesterfield to a lesser extent

I still want to win against these rivals, because they are local, and I know people who support these clubs

Would I rather beat Barnsley or Toytown than Man Utd, definitely not, I'd chose a win against Man Utd every day of the week

Would I rather beat Man Utd than the Blunts, definitely not, I'd chose a win against the Blunts everyday of the week

And that is the difference between a 'derby' and a local rivalry

Nothing beats beating the blunts, they are our only 'derby' the rest are just local rivals

Best explanation of it for me this. Nothing else comes close. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bradowl said:

You only had Hunt on loan and that was ages ago. 

It's Rotherham who usually sign our rejects that are nearing end of their careers. 

Going back some years with some of these now......

Jimmy Mullen 

Imre Varadi 

John Pearson

Roger Wylde 

Tommy Tynan 

Nigel Jemson

Chris Maguire 

Joe Mattock

Probably many more I've forgot about. 

john fantham , robin hardy , des hazell ,tony simmons and the rest mentioned in other posts  ....i doubt any club as signed more of our rejects (excluding fants in that ) than rovrum .

16 hours ago, Nero said:

Rotherhams basic problem is that even getting promoted their gates are pretty much mid table L1 and the chairman doesn’t want to make up the difference in wages.

Its not us that's Rotherham's problem, its the tinpot L1 fanbase.

We average less than 10k thanks, in part, to the thousands who turned their back on their home town to watch Wednesday and Shef U for no other reason than they were better at the time they started watching football (or at the time their dad/grandad/brother/uncle etc started watching football).

Anyway we've had this debate before and the real Wednesday fans get it and I get them. I'd be at Hillsborough or Bramall Lane if I was from Sheffield (although I was born there). But the Rotherham Owls get all upset and abusive when it's pointed out to them. Mick the Rawmarsh Owl is a classic example who insists Rawmarsh isn't even in Rotherham 🤣 So on that basis Hillsborough isn't in Sheffield. Talk about clutching at straws. 

As a positive, what we are left with at Rotherham is a passionate fan base who are all genuinely proud of where they are from. Unlike Wednesday who have thousands pretending to be from Sheffield. 

17 hours ago, bradowl said:

You only had Hunt on loan and that was ages ago. 

It's Rotherham who usually sign our rejects that are nearing end of their careers. 

Going back some years with some of these now......

Jimmy Mullen 

Imre Varadi 

John Pearson

Roger Wylde 

Tommy Tynan 

Nigel Jemson

Chris Maguire 

Joe Mattock

Probably many more I've forgot about. 

What a player Varadi was for us. He was probably late 30s and still scored for fun. Remember his debut goal at Leeds Road in front of us and we all went mental. What I'd give now to have him or a Mark Robins or Le Fondre type now. Proper poachers 

8 minutes ago, AlanLee said:

We average less than 10k thanks, in part, to the thousands who turned their back on their home town to watch Wednesday and Shef U for no other reason than they were better at the time they started watching football (or at the time their dad/grandad/brother/uncle etc started watching football).

Anyway we've had this debate before and the real Wednesday fans get it and I get them. I'd be at Hillsborough or Bramall Lane if I was from Sheffield (although I was born there). But the Rotherham Owls get all upset and abusive when it's pointed out to them. Mick the Rawmarsh Owl is a classic example who insists Rawmarsh isn't even in Rotherham 🤣 So on that basis Hillsborough isn't in Sheffield. Talk about clutching at straws. 

As a positive, what we are left with at Rotherham is a passionate fan base who are all genuinely proud of where they are from. Unlike Wednesday who have thousands pretending to be from Sheffield. 

Theres more leeds fans in rham than wednesday or utd

4 minutes ago, The coach said:

Theres more leeds fans in rham than wednesday or utd

Don't think that can ever be proven. I go on people I've known through my life and I know more Rotherham Owls followed by Blades followed by Leeds Sc@m.

I only get annoyed by the first 2 sets of fans in Rotherham but Leeds fans are another breed. Its like an outreach club for intellectually challenged knuckle scrapers. If I see a Leeds fan (usually a 50 odd year old shaven headed bloke with a red face) I think to my self "I bet he's really thick" 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've been silent in this thread but I'll add my two penneth

In my opinion we have one 'derby' that is against the Blunts

To me, derbies are contested by two teams from the same city

Any supporter who supports a team from a one club city will disagree, because they want to be involved in derbies, but truth is, they don't have a derby

Only supporters from a two team city truly know what a derby feels like

Having said that, we also have local rivalries

I feel more rivalry to Barnsley because of it's close proximity, then comes Toytown, Donny, Leeds and Chesterfield to a lesser extent

I still want to win against these rivals, because they are local, and I know people who support these clubs

Would I rather beat Barnsley or Toytown than Man Utd, definitely not, I'd chose a win against Man Utd every day of the week

Would I rather beat Man Utd than the Blunts, definitely not, I'd chose a win against the Blunts everyday of the week

And that is the difference between a 'derby' and a local rivalry

Nothing beats beating the blunts, they are our only 'derby' the rest are just local rivals

My favourite non-Derby is Palace and Brighton

• Haha 1

Same City rivalries just hit differently.

Don't get me wrong, there's a part of me that wants to never play United again and wishes they'd knock the f*cking eyesore down. But we're stuck with them and they're stuck with us, and it results in a rivalry that not many in the country have. 

It's part of the identity of the City. It dominates sporting conversation in this part of the country. It's part of the fabric and the history of both clubs. 

Rotherham wish they have that but don't, and don't seem to understand why not. Rotherham are just one of two geographically close teams that we've played in the same league as for too long over the last 22 years of our stagnation. The elements of "rivalry" are that it's covered more closely in the local media and there's more chance of working with or personally knowing fans of the other team, than there is of ever knowing a Morecombe or Gillingham fan. When we're not in the same league, Wednesday aren't bothered. Infact personally I don't mind seeing Barnsley do well whenever they're in a different league to us.