Style of play

I was thinking that. I appreciate it’s only 23rd June but there is no talk of a Corbeanu or Mendez-Laing type player who can run at defenders (Johnson can and should do it more).

Absolute priority has to be another centre half or two but I’d like to see one or two ball players come in as an option otherwise it looks like we might have to go more direct.

You could see very often last season we got bullied physically in games. Plymouth away, Morecambe away, Cheltenham away, Gillingham H&A, Sunderland 3 times, Shrewsbury away, Rotherham home, Lincoln away, Accrington home & Wycombe away all games where I came away thinking we lost out physically.

Nice to see Moore has noticed this because pretty much all 5 signings have made us stronger. 

I don’t see the approach at Hillsborough changing too much, fact is we was the best home side in the division. However the away approach needs to be better and I do think that could change this season. 

Can see it being very much a (straight in mixer) kind of approach, marv and hunt getting early crosses in to a front two of Smith and Gregory is a nightmare for defenders at this level, would love to see us start turning throw ins around the box into a goal scoring opportunity aswell, vaulks offers this, the likes of Heneghan, Iorfa, Smith and Gregory would be a real threat, both in attacking and defending these kinds of approach, learn from last season. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Stockdale, Heneghan, Vaulks, Ihiekwe and Smith all signed - what type of football are we going to turn out this year? 

They're all very 'direct' players on the face of it.. 

I think playing more  direct will be the order of the day !  Lessons will have been learned from last season, but I think DM will want to do it fast. And at the moment  we are a couple short.  #uto 

Last season we got bullied at times by more physical teams and our signings so far seem like they’ll give us the tools to mix things up a bit.

IMO we were at our best last season when we played the game in the opposites’ half and signing Smith to make the ball stick up top will certainly help us do that. His hold up play was really impressive at Hillsborough last season.

I’d like us to add a bit of extra pace and creativity up top and out wide as well as another couple of centre halves (at least one left footer) and cover for Johnson at LWB, but the business we’ve done so far looks really promising 

Hoping we stay the same at home where we largely had no issue but now have a bit more physicality about us for those frustrating away games where we got bullied.

Moore did say he wanted us to be more flexible and with these signings, all on frees, we have added that layer to us.

Lets see what the rest of the window brings, but overall can’t complain at the moment.

I think we'll mix it up as we did last year. We went direct at times, but perhaps didn't have the players to pull it off. 

We've addressed our weaknesses from last season, now got a team that can play and also compete physically, depending what type of game it is. 

• Like 1

Think it means we're definitely sticking with 3-5-2. He can't sign Smith, added to Gregory and Windass and just play one up front. Gregory and Smith don't fit into a 4-2-3-1, so i think it shows he's sticking with 2 up top? Plus having 5 centre mids, can't see him playing just 2 and having 3 missing out. Bit of back up for Johnson and i think we're good to go.

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

Stockdale, Heneghan, Vaulks, Ihiekwe and Smith all signed - what type of football are we going to turn out this year? 

They're all very 'direct' players on the face of it.. 

Nice solid spine to our team now and all our own players not a loan in sight......

UTO.....

Once we sorted our style and formation, after the early season tinkering, we had automatic promotion form for the next 6 months. IMO a ‘change in style’ isn’t necessary - we just needed to be a bit more robust to stand up better to the more physical teams.

Heneghan, Vaulks and Smith replacing I suppose Storey, Luongo and Berahino definitely gives us more height and strength but I don’t think we necessarily need to be overhauling our playing style. From November onwards it was very successful and a pleasure to watch 

Edited by paulrs

2 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Think it means we're definitely sticking with 3-5-2. He can't sign Smith, added to Gregory and Windass and just play one up front. Gregory and Smith don't fit into a 4-2-3-1, so i think it shows he's sticking with 2 up top? Plus having 5 centre mids, can't see him playing just 2 and having 3 missing out. Bit of back up for Johnson and i think we're good to go.

The local reporters still seem to think we're going to use different formations during the course of next season.

Smith can play up top on his own - he did for Rotherham at times last season:

1638871637_Screenshot2022-06-23at09_10_01.png.ec908bb80751eb1eb8dc220aa6d49dc7.png

I could see us using a 4-2-3-1 something like this at times:

1729006541_lineup(4).png.835b8de7d5312808097c9b19b3e93d3d.png

We're all trying to second guess what Moore is planning, but until we see all the players he brings in, we'll be none the wiser, really. 

There's still a big chunk of the transfer window left yet...