Michael Smith - Perfect signing

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

This is it in a nutshell.

Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri and Joao were better players than both of them. And even Nuhiu offered something different. A complete waste of money both of them.

Anyway - at the moment we only have Gregory, Windass, Paterson and Sow - so let's home Smith's signing is 'just what we needed' rather than 'more of what we didn't'.

There isn’t room for Gregory, Windass and Smith in the same team

3 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Up to them to prove themselves but Patterson already has for me.

I would have him for his sh!thousery alone,  until he’s 70 .  
Best squad player we’ve had since Bullen. In my opinion, I love a poo house.

Like last season, we will have players to spare and Smith,  Windass and Gregory will not be able to play in the same team let alone Sow and Paterson

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Rotherham fans seem in denial about this.  Mumbling something about wages.

They still think they are our rivals or something.  What a weird insignificant club.

They showed us how to get promoted last season while we failed. Let’s be honest. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Rotherham fans seem in denial about this.  Mumbling something about wages.

They still think they are our rivals or something.  What a weird insignificant club.

Well we are definitely not your rivals anymore now your establishing yourselves in the 3rd division. 

As for Smith and Ihekwe, they are great signings for you. Both suited to League 1. 

Surprised Vaulks has dropped down to that level again but money talks and all that. 

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Aingarth said:

We once signed a CF who was our most expensive signing. Jordan Rhodes didn’t do what we hoped because the playing set-up didn’t take advantage. But he has anothertwo years to go on his Huddersfield contract and almost achieved promotion to Prem League. Does Darren know how to set up for a proper CF?

Laughable see enhanced I mean about people just excuse making for players who we have achieved zero with?So if available on a free you would have him back than?

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

This is it in a nutshell.

Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri and Joao were better players than both of them. And even Nuhiu offered something different. A complete waste of money both of them.

Anyway - at the moment we only have Gregory, Windass, Paterson and Sow - so let's home Smith's signing is 'just what we needed' rather than 'more of what we didn't'.

IMO Smith IS just what we needed. We had no one with Smith's physicality and aerial power up front last season and it cost us. Scores a few too.

Just the ticket. Smith really impressed last season - will help defend set pieces, improve build up play & a decent finisher if we get the service in from the wings improved. No issue from left if Marv stays fit. Assume at present it's Jack Hunt/Liam Palmer from the right (decent when in form) or Windass (can cross but tends to be a greedy ******** when others better placed). Only concern is the age of the incomers (tho there are free): We need more pace throughout the team so Premier League reserves on loan & fast tracking from U23s required to complete squad. More optimistic than I was a few days ago when targets seemed to be signing for elsewhere. Good work - now get/stay fit througohut pre-season!

1 hour ago, victorturner said:

They showed us how to get promoted last season while we failed. Let’s be honest. 

I think there's lots to like about Rotherham. Sensibly run club with a likeable, pragmatic manager. 

They have been showing other bigger clubs how to do it for a while now.

Edited by DeBilde'sTea
  • Like 1

I'm not expecting Smith to score loads to be honest - after his early season deluge he only scored 1 in his last 13 league games and hasnt been very prolific through his career. But as others have said he provides an option we didn't have and we're hopefully getting him in his prime. 

Reasonably happy with the striker options we already have (although greedily would love another)... I think the priority now is another centre back and a couple of pacy wide players to supplement Hunt and Johnson and give us wide options if we go 4-4-2. Would be magic if Brown and Sow could step up this season, but I'm not confident.

Looked on a couple of Rotherham fan forums, and the response there is what you expect when a good player leaves for a local rival, lots of salt and a few "Good servant wish him well".

The concerning thing is a number of them feel that the two lads may have had ours and their pants down, lots of comments of "I doubt they will get the same out of him that we did" and "Good that they have got a payday off the back of one good season".

Then again the Cardiff fans seem to think we are vastly over estimating how good Vaulks is too, and we here are often guilty of diminishing exiting players too.

2 hours ago, leftpeg said:

Looked on a couple of Rotherham fan forums, and the response there is what you expect when a good player leaves for a local rival, lots of salt and a few "Good servant wish him well".

The concerning thing is a number of them feel that the two lads may have had ours and their pants down, lots of comments of "I doubt they will get the same out of him that we did" and "Good that they have got a payday off the back of one good season".

Then again the Cardiff fans seem to think we are vastly over estimating how good Vaulks is too, and we here are often guilty of diminishing exiting players too.

"Sh@t anyway' ?

I am a bit concerned with this signing.  He is an excellent lead striker but we once more look like we may lack forward pace. This isn’t as big an issue in this league as it was in the championship as we are now better in possession against weaker opponents , but the good opponents can push us up the park again knowing Gregory/ smith won’t go in behind as they aren’t quick enough. 

we do need a forward with good speed who will put a defence on their heels . 

• Like 2