Mendez-Laing

I’m actually pretty sad to see him leave.

Think he looked very dangerous at this level when he first joined. Picked up an injury and came back to find himself playing upfront - which was never his position.

Will probably get a Championship contract. If we do revert to a 4-2-3-1 next season he’d have been a very good player to have in the squad. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Couldn't give a fizz about him.

We need to stop ******** around with useless lumps of poo like Mendez Laing and concentrate on players that are going to turn up for games and get us points, not cost us points.

On one hand fans want us to move towards a better recruiting strategy, on the other hand, fans want us to keep on the books players who don't play often, can't play 'cos they're injured, or players when they play cost us games.  Take the emotion out of it.  Are they doing a job worthy of the money we are paying them?  Yes or no?

Mendez Laing, Luongo and Wildsmith all firmly fall into the 'No' category.  Get rid.  It's a competitive business, not a ******** charity.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Manwë said:

We need to stop ******** around with useless lumps of poo like Mendez Laing and concentrate on players that are going to turn up for games and get us points, not cost us points.

On one hand fans want us to move towards a better recruiting strategy, on the other hand, fans want us to keep on the books players who don't play often, can't play 'cos they're injured, or players when they play cost us games.  Take the emotion out of it.  Are they doing a job worthy of the money we are paying them?  Yes or no?

Mendez Laing, Luongo and Wildsmith all firmly fall into the 'No' category.  Get rid.  It's a competitive business, not a ******** charity.

But what do you really think? lol

• Haha 4

He’ll end up at a millwall or Wigan. A smaller club that play in blue.

Providing we bring in a player who can play as a wing back,  I don’t see the major loss of him going.  

It was annoying when Moore tried to use him as a striker, hopefully we sign players who can actually play the striker role 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Manwë said:

How do value or pay a player who is part of a 24-30 man squad 

what do you pay them it’s interesting to hear your pay structure given that you don’t want to keep players that don’t play often enough or who are fit enough to play often enough 

but you can only have 11players on the pitch 

would you have a wage bracket for the starting 11

then a wage bracket for the subs 

and nobody else maybe just ask coaching staff to dig boots out to jump on bench if someones injured or suspended 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mogbad said:

I'm glad he's gone, he didn't do enough to be offered a new deal.

Really, I thought he was offered a new deal. 
It just didn’t come with the pay he wanted. 
No doubt some fool of a Chairman will agree to his demands though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

How do value or pay a player who is part of a 24-30 man squad 

what do you pay them it’s interesting to hear your pay structure given that you don’t want to keep players that don’t play often enough or who are fit enough to play often enough 

but you can only have 11players on the pitch 

would you have a wage bracket for the starting 11

then a wage bracket for the subs 

and nobody else maybe just ask coaching staff to dig boots out to jump on bench if someones injured or suspended 

Jeez,

Some people like to confuse the fizz out of everything.

Wildsmith was never going to be number #1, ever.  Not with Peacock-Farrell, not with Westwood, and not now with Stockdale.   If he was close to their quality and genuinely pushing for places, then of course it should be reflected.  But the chances of him overtaking either in terms of quality is 0. Basically, he would play if either got injured and we were desperate, that's it.   

Luongo wasn't available for half the season.  What's the point in such a player?  He's worse than Wildsmith.  At least Wildsmith was available should one of the much better keepers get injured.  Luongo wasn't available to play, he was sat on a table going "Oooh guv, that smarts, by the way, when's pay day?".  But the reply is always "Ahh, but when he did play, we got an extra 0.24272ppg on a 1.52% uptake in completed passes from right to left".  Yes, when he did play things improved, but he didn't play enough times to make a difference to the season, which was and is, a failure.  The "it's a difficult league to get out of brigade" can't stand looking a few miles east of Sheffield to see how ******** easy it is to get out of the league.  We just like to make it hard for ourselves by wasting months waiting for this player or that player to come back.

As for Mendez Laing; some good games, some utter poo games and the more the season went on, the bottom he got.  What's the point in keeping him?  To play him 10 times and hope for 2 good performances, and just accept we've dropped points in the other 8 games?

We need a starting XI that can win games, and we need a squad of players that can replace that XI at the drop of a hat without much loss in quality, or change things about to win us games.  Anything else, I'm just not interested in.  As I say, it's not a charity for the well off, it's a professional business and those not giving a return should clear the fizz away from the club.

• Like 1

Maybe he just wants regular first team football in a set position?

Can't see Jack Hunt resigning if he thinks he's going to be benchwarming, maybe NML just doesn't want to either?

Either way, we really need to get some pace in as he was the difference late on when we struggled against the press.

Slate him all you want, but without him, we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs.

I honestly can't fathom having much of an opinion on him either way.

He was a (presumably) cheap flyer half way through the season on a free transfer because he was available, and while he was here he did.. alright? Same circumstances as Berahino. Although if it was between the two, I'd probably have kept him instead. 

Not losing too much sleep over replacing his 18 appearances and 2 goals. 

11 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Really, I thought he was offered a new deal. 
It just didn’t come with the pay he wanted. 
No doubt some fool of a Chairman will agree to his demands though.

He was offered a new deal. I was saying they that for me he didn't do enough to warrant being offered a new deal.

3 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Jeez,

Some people like to confuse the fizz out of everything.

Wildsmith was never going to be number #1, ever.  Not with Peacock-Farrell, not with Westwood, and not now with Stockdale.   If he was close to their quality and genuinely pushing for places, then of course it should be reflected.  But the chances of him overtaking either in terms of quality is 0. Basically, he would play if either got injured and we were desperate, that's it.   

Luongo wasn't available for half the season.  What's the point in such a player?  He's worse than Wildsmith.  At least Wildsmith was available should one of the much better keepers get injured.  Luongo wasn't available to play, he was sat on a table going "Oooh guv, that smarts, by the way, when's pay day?".  But the reply is always "Ahh, but when he did play, we got an extra 0.24272ppg on a 1.52% uptake in completed passes from right to left".  Yes, when he did play things improved, but he didn't play enough times to make a difference to the season, which was and is, a failure.  The "it's a difficult league to get out of brigade" can't stand looking a few miles east of Sheffield to see how ******** easy it is to get out of the league.  We just like to make it hard for ourselves by wasting months waiting for this player or that player to come back.

As for Mendez Laing; some good games, some utter poo games and the more the season went on, the bottom he got.  What's the point in keeping him?  To play him 10 times and hope for 2 good performances, and just accept we've dropped points in the other 8 games?

We need a starting XI that can win games, and we need a squad of players that can replace that XI at the drop of a hat without much loss in quality, or change things about to win us games.  Anything else, I'm just not interested in.  As I say, it's not a charity for the well off, it's a professional business and those not giving a return should clear the fizz away from the club.

Well then your argument all falls down on your comments about Mendez-Laing and even luongo to some extent 

You want players that can change games and you’re happy Mendez Laing has gone 

you critise Mendez-length inconsistency but the squad offered little to allow Mendez Laing to play to his strengths as an attacking winger 

he’s not a forward he’s not a wing back

In the same sense we witnessed a different player when Johnson was actually played in his position abs not as a centre back 

when luongo wasn’t in the side we was nothing short of dog dirt 

when he was we was much more of a team and effective and other players massively benefited he was also got the latter of of the season so you can argue he’s a crock I can argue he’s not regained fitness and his contribution alone is worthy of any contract extension.

basically we are better with him than without him 

what we need to do is take that and build on it, bringing vaulks in and other players in allows this squad to change formation, to change line ups and to change personel to play them in their best positions where they are effective and not bring them on and shoehorn them into positions they don’t play or are not effective in 

as for wildsmith he had to leave for him 

but he’s exactly why the club should have offered him a contract 

at the end of the day the goalkeeper department consists   Generally of 3 keepers and youth keepers 

not one in the net and one on the bench 

we all know and wildsmith knew where he would have been ranked so I see nothing wrong with that 3rd choice keeper in league one wildsmith would be more than strong enough to fill that spot and for a reasonable budget 

it’s a squad game as you say, you’ve got to play your squad players in their best position and understand what they bring and what their roles are in the squad 

and you’ve just dismissed three players for different reasons that would have been good additions to this seasons squad and now they need replacing. Like we’ve not got enough to do 

personally it’s only luongo I think will be near impossible to replace to play how he did in that midfield three 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Well then your argument all falls down on your comments about Mendez-Laing and even luongo to some extent 

You want players that can change games and you’re happy Mendez Laing has gone 

you critise Mendez-length inconsistency but the squad offered little to allow Mendez Laing to play to his strengths as an attacking winger 

he’s not a forward he’s not a wing back

In the same sense we witnessed a different player when Johnson was actually played in his position abs not as a centre back 

when luongo wasn’t in the side we was nothing short of dog dirt 

when he was we was much more of a team and effective and other players massively benefited he was also got the latter of of the season so you can argue he’s a crock I can argue he’s not regained fitness and his contribution alone is worthy of any contract extension.

basically we are better with him than without him 

what we need to do is take that and build on it, bringing vaulks in and other players in allows this squad to change formation, to change line ups and to change personel to play them in their best positions where they are effective and not bring them on and shoehorn them into positions they don’t play or are not effective in 

as for wildsmith he had to leave for him 

but he’s exactly why the club should have offered him a contract 

at the end of the day the goalkeeper department consists   Generally of 3 keepers and youth keepers 

not one in the net and one on the bench 

we all know and wildsmith knew where he would have been ranked so I see nothing wrong with that 3rd choice keeper in league one wildsmith would be more than strong enough to fill that spot and for a reasonable budget 

it’s a squad game as you say, you’ve got to play your squad players in their best position and understand what they bring and what their roles are in the squad 

and you’ve just dismissed three players for different reasons that would have been good additions to this seasons squad and now they need replacing. Like we’ve not got enough to do 

personally it’s only luongo I think will be near impossible to replace to play how he did in that midfield three 

I agree. All would have been good to keep hold of, but only losing Luongo will potentially make our best XI weaker. Hopefully we can adapt and Mr Vaulks fills the void. 

• Like 1

Let’s be fair, he has all the attributes to be an absolute beast at this level. There were a few games at Hillsborough he ran the full back ragged, he’s a big strong quick lad who has all the physical attributes to be a threat for most teams in the championship. We just didn’t play a system to fit him in, like with Shodipo, like with Theo. He’s a winger, not a wing back or striker. Played in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever, he’d be dynamite. Just didn’t fit in to a wing back system unfortunately.