Luongo Contract Decline Confirmed

3 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

It does seem that we are moving on from past follies. Regarding Bannan, apparently he's on significantly less than the figures often bandied about on here. As our best player by a distance last seasn IMO (and for some time before) and factoring his almost ever present availability it seems natural to me that he's likely to be the most highly paid. As to how disproportionate that is I guess we'll  have to wait for the accounts as I doubt that the club nor the player have leaked the actual figure.

I fully appreciate I made the reference to BB in what is a Luongo thread. I think it's all about value for money. With what reportedly both players are on one clearly is value for money. It's highly debateable if the other one is. I'd say not and judging by the complete lack of tangible bids for him so do other clubs.

I digress. Luongo is a huge loss.

Without ML last season in 46 game league season 

W 8  D 8  L  5 PTS 32  over a season  that's 69 PTS and we'd have finished 11th

With ML

W 16  D 5  L 4  PTS 53 over a season that's 97 PTS and we'd have been Champions by 5 clear points

Make of that what you will. 

• Like 3

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, Owly Mowly said:

Does this mean he hasn’t been offered one or that he hasn’t rejected it yet?

Agent: they've put forward an offer, let's sit tight ££££££

ML : OK boss

ML: You heard anything yet, boss, yer flamin galah!!!!

Agent: Won't be long now

ML : OI!!! WHAT YAR BLOODY PLAYING AT YER DINGBAT!!??, JUST READ ON BLADDI TWITTER THAT I'VE LEFT THE MASSIVE!!!!

Agent: I'll get back to you, they are playing hard ball, don't worry

Agent: Mmm, well errr... they've signed someone to take your place, I'll start ringing round!

ML: YOU FECKIN DINGBAT!!!

4 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

I fully appreciate I made the reference to BB in what is a Luongo thread. I think it's all about value for money. With what reportedly both players are on one clearly is value for money. It's highly debateable if the other one is. I'd say not and judging by the complete lack of tangible bids for him so do other clubs.

With ML

W 16  D 5  L 4  PTS 53 over a season that's 97 PTS and we'd have been Champions by 5 clear points

What’s the ratio with Vaulks playing 

nearly every game ? 

3 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

With ML

What BB is reportedly on has been claimed by Baz himself as being way off the mark so value for money is impossible to assess.

Agree ML is a very good player at this level. That said, given the league we're in and his fitness issues, we were right IMO to offer a contract that reflected those. 

If his freed wages can fund 2 or 3 good performers at this level and ones that can manage  40-45 games a season rather than 23/24 then we might progress quite nicely. Be even nicer if one or two recruits went on to become valuable saleable assets. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

I'd guess we gave a deadline for luongo to sign the new contract and had vaulks lined up as a replacement, luongo could have just not responded in time rather that "rejected" offer.  Club them not wanting to risk losing luongo and missing out on vaulks bite bullet at sign vaulks and tell luongo bye as deadline passed.

Heard a few reports saying we are not a soft touch anymore on contract negotiations and this likely evidence of that.

Sometimes have to take decisive decisions and not allow yourself to be messed around.

Only a guess though..

Yep it could be that. Although there are also suggestions new offers didn’t get made until last week 

He was very good when he played. He changed the midfield dynamic. But Byers and vaulks can probably slot in with bannan as a 3. That'll do for me. ML says he doesn't want to be here so it's so long and thanks for all the fish. I'll ways remember him positvely, which is rare for our ex players in the end. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Luongo was immense when he first came back, but personally I feel he really tired as the season wore on and the last 5-10 games in particular he wasn't at his best.

My feelings exactly.................in particular the play off games , where in all honesty he looked very leggy and ineffective.

• Like 1

I like Mass, but we couldn't just sit about whilst him and his agent looked around for better offers.

Vaulks sounds like a good replacement who perhaps carries a bit more goal threat.

Would be great to have both here, but with Baz, Byers, Vaulks, Adeniran and FDB that is perhaps a bit unrealistic.

In any event, wish Mas the best. Really good player when he was fit.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

Don’t know why people are so bothered about Luongo. 

Nothing against him but he’s a sicknote. HMS Pišś the League is a fighting ship not a cruise liner…… No passengers, just fighting men. 

Hope he gets fixed up with a club back home and can enjoy a few more seasons in a league that isn’t as hard on the body. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelman said:

Nothing against him but he’s a sicknote. HMS Pišś the League is a fighting ship not a cruise liner…… No passengers, just fighting men. 

I know a fair bit about HMSPTL and to be fair last season it was a passenger ferry at times but mostly a FRIGate 😂

2008472231_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif.de593c138fda69645d24ba94cedf1a20.gif

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

What’s the ratio with Vaulks playing 

nearly every game ? 

Vaulks does play a lot of matches per season so very fit unlike Luongo. However not being retained by Cardiff despite occasionally being in the Wales team, does beg questions about how good he is as Cardiff have been awful recently.

6 hours ago, trotter said:

I do think there are some blue tinted specs where Luongo is concerned.  In 3 years with us he has played just 66 times from a possible 138 league games.  Over that same period Hutch played 73 games and that included a spell frozen out by Gary Monk.

Good player yes, but in any other profession, you wouldn't last long turning up for work only 1 in 2 days.

Luongo played 4631 minutes in his 3 years here. 

Bannan played 4149 minutes last season

• Like 3

Surely mass must belooking at the 4 signings (if the 2 michaels are true) so far and think i want to be part of that !

Its not too late to get him signed up. We need a solid strong midfield, to win this league. Mass and vaulks would give us a solid platform for bannan to play a free role.

People wanting vaulks and bannan with 2 wide men, in midfield would see us over run. We need to dominate midfield first and foremost.

Get mass back

It’s a shame he’s gone but I never really expected him to stay. I’m glad he made it back from injury and contributed to the season. Wish he’d come back last season though and we’d probably have stayed up! I certainly wish him well in whatever he does next!

Reading between the lines... 

I reckon there was a deadline on the contract offer. 

Which Massimo may have missed. Whether intentionally or not, we've shown we're not waiting around.

The power is in the clubs hands and not the players. 

Well done SWFC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, victorturner said:

Vaulks does play a lot of matches per season so very fit unlike Luongo. However not being retained by Cardiff despite occasionally being in the Wales team, does beg questions about how good he is as Cardiff have been awful recently.

Cardiff needed to cut their wage bill so released a lot of big earners, it now appears they are trying to sign Gareth Bale, so i think its more a case of the players out of contract were release, and for me they have made a few mistakes, Vaulks, Pack, Murphy, flint, Smithies who was their player of the year too.