Luongo Contract Decline Confirmed

2 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Not saying he got injured deliberately but in three years at the club he was constantly injured and could barely string back to back games together. Yet 6 months before the end of his contract he never missed a match 

Don't get me wrong he'll be a loss as he's a decent player especially in League One but it was time for him to move on

That is simply just a case of a player getting over his injuries and getting back in the side!

No sinister motive at play here. Luongo was unlucky with injuries and then regained fitness last season. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Which he apparently declined hence him leaving. 

It’s unclear really given his post on Instagram which suggests he hasn’t had an offer or hasn’t declined.

Agree he would only be worth keeping on a wage that reflects where we are now and his fitness situation.

• Thanks 1

An injured player is no good to us.

Get rid of the ******** lot who spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch.  No time for sentimentalities.  It's a highly competitive sport and if we want to win the league, then we need far fewer Luongo's in the squad.

• Haha 1

Luongo is a very good player and clearly a step above League One level. I don't think his quality or impact on the team is in question. 

But one of the most important attributes a player can have is availability. It's hard to build a team when everyone is just waiting for one of the most important players in it to break down again.

Between Hutch and Luongo leaving, I think there's a very clear message coming from the club what they value, and personally I back it. I think Wednesday are well overdue being a bit more ruthless over players who simply aren't available enough for whatever reason. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

I could say the same about our disproportionately highest paid player too. I wouldn't say it about Luongo however who made us a completely different animal more than any other player in the squad. Massive loss this. 

Definitely  a loss for the 50% of games he generally plays yes,  but if he doesn't  want to stay on wages commensurate with both his fitness record plus the league we're  in then it's best he leaves.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

It’s unclear really given his post on Instagram which suggests he hasn’t had an offer or hasn’t declined.

Agree he would only be worth keeping on a wage that reflects where we are now and his fitness situation.

I'd guess we gave a deadline for luongo to sign the new contract and had vaulks lined up as a replacement, luongo could have just not responded in time rather that "rejected" offer.  Club them not wanting to risk losing luongo and missing out on vaulks bite bullet at sign vaulks and tell luongo bye as deadline passed.

Heard a few reports saying we are not a soft touch anymore on contract negotiations and this likely evidence of that.

Sometimes have to take decisive decisions and not allow yourself to be messed around.

Only a guess though..

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Not a chance vaulks will play the same role as luongo 

He’s a top midfielder but without luongo we will be playing differently even if we keep the same formation 

my biggest concern is seeing bannan played or dropping deeper 

Bannan causes problems in that free role especially when he’s further up the pitch 

Your right in that we can still put out a quality cm but those claiming vaulks is a replacement for luongo I think are just playing the numbers game. Different players 

Agreed, not a carbon copy. We'll  likely gain something as well as losing something. Lets hope the scales tip on the positive side. It will be interesting to see how our midfid operates next season. Adeniran back and FDB  hopefully further progressing after last years breakthrough. 

6 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Definitely  a loss for the 50% of games he generally plays yes,  but if he doesn't  want to stay on wages commensurate with both his fitness record plus the league we're  in then it's best he leaves.

Fair comment. Commensurate indeed. Couldn't agree more and not just in Luongo's case. 

1 minute ago, trotter said:

Over that same period Hutch played 73 games and that included a spell frozen out by Gary Monk.

Hutch and Luongo were both luxury players.

Hutch arrived at the club with an understanding that his quality was worth the trade off even if he only played half the games available. He was worth it at a time when we could afford to carry a player like that and gamble on the 50% he did play. To be fair to him, his availability actually improved in the latter stages of his time here, but he's carried that reputation from the moment he signed. Luongo became that over his time here by circumstances and missing so much time. 

Financially the club just can't gamble on quality shining through 50% of the time like it could before. 

• Like 2

Excellent player but his heart wasn’t in it for the last couple of months and was always concerned when up against more physical players. 

Will he missed but hopefully replaced with more appropriate L1 player and …bigger 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Fair comment. Commensurate indeed. Couldn't agree more and not just in Luongo's case. 

It does seem that we are moving on from past follies. Regarding Bannan, apparently he's on significantly less than the figures often bandied about on here. As our best player by a distance last seasn IMO (and for some time before) and factoring his almost ever present availability it seems natural to me that he's likely to be the most highly paid. As to how disproportionate that is I guess we'll  have to wait for the accounts as I doubt that the club nor the player have leaked the actual figure.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trotter said:

I do think there are some blue tinted specs where Luongo is concerned.  In 3 years with us he has played just 66 times from a possible 138 league games.  Over that same period Hutch played 73 games and that included a spell frozen out by Gary Monk.

Good player yes, but in any other profession, you wouldn't last long turning up for work only 1 in 2 days.

Great post 

I am a Mass fan but he looked a little jaded at the back end of the season, was he carrying another injury ?

If we could have kept him on terms that suited both parties then great. 
obviously we couldn’t 

• Like 2

Class when fit . Clearly missed a large number of games . Not sure what’s gone on but wish him well . Maybe club offered him reduced money and gave him time to assess he’s either declined or waited too long to make his mind up in that time we’ve had to move swiftly and got vaulks , as if we didn’t we could of had neither ? Just a thought .

all the best mass and good luck sure you will get a decent club