Luongo Contract Decline Confirmed

Just now, striker said:

Fair enough, Luongo is an oustanding player at this level on his day, but that is more than tempered by significant abences through injury. 

Assumed it was coming the longer it went on and seems he has international aspirations, can't fault the lad wanting to play at the world cup and maybe that's better facilitated playing elsewhere. I also assume we have offered reduced terms, based on his previous contract signed in the championship.

No problem with any of the three leaving, WIldsmith needs to play regular games and Mendez-Laing chasing a better contract. Luongo the biggest miss by far, but Vaulks fills the gap. 

Thanks for your service,  good luck for the future, bye! The club goes on. 

Agreed. He could have signed for another year then missed most of it through injury. Vaulks ideal replacement and touch wood fit as a butchers dog.

• Like 2

With Vaulks in does losing Luongo weaken us? Not sure I'm enough of an 'expert' to answer that - but it certainly doesn't strengthen us.

As fans, we need to remember that the club can't force players to sign proposed new contracts.

We need to thank all 3, wish them well for the future (obvs not when they play us) and back DM to find not replacements, but improvements and see this as an opportunity to adapt and improve.

Nobody in any organisation is irreplaceable.

12 minutes ago, Stevelknievel said:

Good timing by the club, bet the knew about the Mas leaving before and have waited to get Vaulks over the line, before making it public. 😄

can you imagine the meltdown if we didn’t have Vaulks in.

An Owlstalk meltdown is of absolutely no consequence to anyone!

• Like 2

Just now, Owly Mowly said:

Does this mean he hasn’t been offered one or that he hasn’t rejected it yet?

Could be an admin slip up from our social media team or an assumption he's rejected it given he's not turned up to Pre season training.

Apparently he's deleted it now though so who knows?

Don’t underestimate how big of a loss this is 

it’s not just what luongo did as a player it’s how good the other players became around him

it was like bannans shackles were taken off when luongo came back in the side Byres started to show himself 

luongo really did bring out the best in everyone in that midfield 

for those saying vaulks is a replacement for luongo he just simply isn’t vaulks gets forward more and gets shots off he’s a bit more box to box I’d say vaulks is closer to Byres than luongo 

this is going to leave a very big hole to fill 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Glad he's gone

Strange how he spent most of his spell with us in the treatment room yet for the last 6 months when he was trying to earn a new contract with us or get offered a deal elsewhere he never missed a match and was always fit

Good player but not the right attitude IMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

Don’t underestimate how big of a loss this is 

it’s not just what luongo did as a player it’s how good the other players became around him

it was like bannans shackles were taken off when luongo came back in the side Byres started to show himself 

luongo really did bring out the best in everyone in that midfield 

for those saying vaulks is a replacement for luongo he just simply isn’t vaulks gets forward more and gets shots off he’s a bit more box to box I’d say vaulks is closer to Byres than luongo 

this is going to leave a very big hole to fill 

Possibly for the 50% of games he plays.

Got a good player in to replace him even if not a carbon copy. Be interesting  to see how it pans out.

3 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Glad he's gone

Strange how he spent most of his spell with us in the treatment room yet for the last 6 months when he was trying to earn a new contract with us or get offered a deal elsewhere he never missed a match and was always fit

No I don't think it was anything to do with attitude. He has genuine ongoing fitness fragility. Nonetheless keeping him on championship wages would have been folly.

9 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Glad he's gone

It’s as if fans think players deliberately get injured ffs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

No I don't think it was anything to do with attitude. He has genuine ongoing fitness fragility. Nonetheless keeping him on championship wages would have been folly.

I could say the same about our disproportionately highest paid player too. I wouldn't say it about Luongo however who made us a completely different animal more than any other player in the squad. Massive loss this. 

3 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Agreed. He could have signed for another year then missed most of it through injury. Vaulks ideal replacement and touch wood fit as a butchers dog.

You've done it now.

He'll end up missing half the season with canine distemper.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Possibly for the 50% of games he plays.

Got a good player in to replace him even if not a carbon copy. Be interesting  to see how it pans out.

Not a chance vaulks will play the same role as luongo 

He’s a top midfielder but without luongo we will be playing differently even if we keep the same formation 

my biggest concern is seeing bannan played or dropping deeper 

Bannan causes problems in that free role especially when he’s further up the pitch 

Your right in that we can still put out a quality cm but those claiming vaulks is a replacement for luongo I think are just playing the numbers game. Different players 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s as if fans think players deliberately get injured ffs. 

Not saying he got injured deliberately but in three years at the club he was constantly injured and could barely string back to back games together. Yet 6 months before the end of his contract he never missed a match 

Don't get me wrong he'll be a loss as he's a decent player especially in League One but it was time for him to move on

• Like 1