Luongo Contract Decline Confirmed

As per OS. Also announced NML and Wildsmith. 

Shame about ML however we’ve saved on his wages, brought in a very good replacement and already have some depth in CM. 

Best of luck in the future Massimo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flash said:

As per OS. Also announced NML and Wildsmith. 

Shame about ML however we’ve saved on his wages, brought in a very good replacement and already have some depth in CM. 

Best of luck in the future Massimo.

If he’s off back home fair play to the lad 

• Like 3

That's a blow re: Luongo; he transformed our team last season.

We already have an ideal replacement in Vaulks, though.

As good as it would have been to have them both in the squad, it was always unrealistic, I suppose.

He's a very good player - too good for this level - it's just a shame he was injured for so much of his time here.

• Like 7

That is a shame, as I said on another thread, Vaulks while top drawer is not a like for like replacement and this will change the dynamic of our midfield.

It is VERY important we do not lose the ability for Bannan to play with the freedom he found last season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

That is a shame, as I said on another thread, Vaulks while top drawer is not a like for like replacement and this will change the dynamic of our midfield.

It is VERY important we do not lose the ability for Bannan to play with the freedom he found last season.

Absolutely. Luongo was critical to this.

I’d now be going all out to get Camara from Plymouth.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Good player but we've brought a good replacement in and likely on less than we were paying Luongo for his 23/24 games a season.

He was and is, absolute quality though.

Think its real shame we couldn't get a other season from him.

• Like 1

Gutted, there are not many like him in terms of simply winning the ball all game long. Whenever he’s played for a period of time the team has won.

However it did feel that him staying would be unlikely as he will want to play each week to make the WC. Vaulks, Bannan, Byers, Adeniran could also make a case for playing each week too. A good opportunity to look at some younger players. We have plenty in CM. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Absolutely. Luongo was critical to this.

I’d now be going all out to get Camara from Plymouth.

Is Camara more a box to box player? He looked good at carrying the ball. 

I thought a more direct replacement would’ve been someone like that Wiredu at Colchester who moved already or Dennis Adeniran.

Shame to see Luongo leave the club. 

Decent player who unfortunately spent a considerable amount of time injured. When he did play, he was a class act and showed his qualities when he returned to the team last season.

All the best Massimo, good luck.

• Like 1

Fair enough, Luongo is an oustanding player at this level on his day, but that is more than tempered by significant abences through injury. 

Assumed it was coming the longer it went on and seems he has international aspirations, can't fault the lad wanting to play at the world cup and maybe that's better facilitated playing elsewhere. I also assume we have offered reduced terms, based on his previous contract signed in the championship.

No problem with any of the three leaving, WIldsmith needs to play regular games and Mendez-Laing chasing a better contract. Luongo the biggest miss by far, but Vaulks fills the gap. 

Thanks for your service,  good luck for the future, bye! The club goes on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

He was and is, absolute quality though.

Think its real shame we couldn't get a other season from him.

Well yes but we likely, and reasonably, offered a contract that reflected him only playing half the games and also the league we're in. Leaving was always likely and it's  good to see that we don't appear to be repeating past mistakes 

• Like 1