Pizza Cup Group H

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Find it difficult to care about this competition.

Presume it will be (in all but name) a reserve game for us, just like the other clubs u21 teams allowed to enter. 

It's a chance for the likes of Brown, Brennan, Alex Hunt (if he's still here), Sylla Sow, Paterson to get some game time (players likely to be more fringe options this year) and some younger talent - Cadamarteri and Leojo Davidson should be starting every game in the groups at least.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

It's a chance for the likes of Brown, Brennan, Alex Hunt (if he's still here), Sylla Sow, Paterson to get some game time (players likely to be more fringe options this year) and some younger talent - Cadamarteri and Leojo Davidson should be starting every game in the groups at least.

Agree with that, an opportunity for building match fitness and giving some youth players a taste of first team football. 

I wonder if Brown and Sow will still be here though. Both nowhere near most of last season, down the pecking order, even behind loan players on the bench, who hardly played either. 

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree with that, an opportunity for building match fitness and giving some youth players a taste of first team football. 

I wonder if Brown and Sow will still be here though. Both nowhere near most of last season, down the pecking order, even behind loan players on the bench, who hardly played either. 

Unfortunately, I think both will be here when we play the first game of the season - we simply won't have the numbers to risk losing them until end of August at least

• Like 1

Genuinely don t mind it, chance to give players not in the 1st team some game time and chance at Wembley.

Promotion is the most important thing but why not go for both. Get the risk of injury worry etc but loads of our injuries don t happen in matches 

Don't like us not to compete or win every game we play in  UTO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, njh1968 said:

Genuinely don t mind it, chance to give players not in the 1st team some game time and chance at Wembley.

Promotion is the most important thing but why not go for both. Get the risk of injury worry etc but loads of our injuries don t happen in matches 

Don't like us not to compete or win every game we play in  UTO

I never used to mind it but now they have u21 teams competing and having groups it's a bit of a farce. Was better when it was straight knockout matches and straight to penalties after 90 minutes. Also used to have the top half of national league involved too giving a chance to play teams you've never played before. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

never used to mind it but now they have u21 teams competing and having groups it's a bit of a farce. Was better when it was straight knockout matches and straight to penalties after 90 minutes. Also used to have the top half of national league involved too giving a chance to play teams you've never played before. 

Agree its not perfect and don t understand the inclusion of u21 teams, would go back to national league teams to give it a bit more interest 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

The moment that a EPL U21/23 Side starts winning the Papa Johns Trophy on a regular basis, Then it is time for the EFL to scrap the whole thing altogether.

No, we should boycott it until they are stopped. I should think if Man City really wanted to win it with an U23 side they could.

How embarrassing would it be if Brentford or Bournemouth U21s won it?  

• Like 1

Just now, 31Dec1966 said:

No, we should boycott it until they are stopped. I should think if Man City really wanted to win it with an U23 side they could.

See what you mean there because looking at it another way, it just shows how the EPL has such a grip on the EFL and they cannot do a thing about.it 

17 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

They're a bit off yet, but I agree they will at some point. 

Ridiculous that the competition allows the Prem U23s games though. Effectively killed off a decent ish competion, now dying a slow death. 

10 hours ago, alanharper said:

Everything about this competition is so tinpot - what's the point of drawing 3/4 of the group and doing the rest a few days later? 

From recollection:

Bradford have been in the Premier League more recently than Wednesday (Carbone ended up on loan at Bradford as we couldn't afford him up get us promoted... That worked out well!?!) 

More recently, Burton have faced Wednesday in the Championship as a fixture we were not assured to win.

Get us out of this tin pot 25 years...

:duntmatter:

• Like 2