Ipswich Away August 1990

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Guest Garryswfcowl72

With all this hot weather it got me thinking about Ipswich away in 1990 the start of a iconic season in our history & the hottest I’ve ever been at a football match it’s was unbearable the heat that day 🥵😨crammed in that away end with 5-6k fellow WEDNESDAYITES spilling on to the pitch when Willow bagged brilliant memories. That kit was a thing of beauty & so was the style of play we played Atkinson’s Barny Army . “ yellows yellows “ 🔵🟡 . Just imagine if we pull Ipswich away first game of the this season Just  hope it’s not a 4-1 opening day loss like the last time we got them on the opening day lol 

53BDC11F-B134-4B3A-AE70-6AB410C3D5F0.jpeg

72F90263-778C-4F12-BB15-609F63464394.jpeg

411F1F78-3CCA-4E5A-8B66-D53C604AAF7D.jpeg

B9D4A6E8-A25A-49C0-8110-7AB9BD7B46DA.jpeg

I was fortunate enough to be in the seats that day, so not exposed to the ridiculous overcrowding in the away standing (strange to think in those days the away seats were at the opposite end of the ground to the away standing). Not the hottest though, that has to be Swindon away, first game of the season - uncovered end and a refreshment stand that ran out of refreshments. I along with many others left half way thru the second half, despite Wednesday being 3 up at half time i think.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Albertowl said:

I was fortunate enough to be in the seats that day, so not exposed to the ridiculous overcrowding in the away standing (strange to think in those days the away seats were at the opposite end of the ground to the away standing). Not the hottest though, that has to be Swindon away, first game of the season - uncovered end and a refreshment stand that ran out of refreshments. I along with many others left half way thru the second half, despite Wednesday being 3 up at half time i think.

Yeah I was in the seats too. Rest of our fans seemed miles away but we made a lot of noise up in those seats!

That was the first game when I started going away regularly, I was 18, and I'd only been to about 5 away matches before that (1 of those being at Maine Road at the tail end of the previous season, and 2 of them being FA Cup semis).  I've clocked up a good few hundred awaydays since then - although oddly I haven't actually been back to Ipswich since then.

That was my wife's first ever match. She couldn't believe the surging after we scored it was alien to her, we had only been going out a month or so at the time. She saw me in a different light, driving through Ipswich shouting to the Wednesday hordes. What a day!!

Went to Swindon too, I was in the front row behind the goal almost begging for drinks as people passed by selling them, no roof, just baking sun for hours..... loved it though.

Remember it well. Was one of my favourite ever away days. Stopped off at the services and it was just a sea of yellow. Fantastic start to the season and glorious weather.

Also remember the overcrowding and it was only the year after the Hillsborough disaster so it was a bit raw still but luckily nobody was hurt. Bit alarming to see people climbing over fences again though. 

Fantastic day. We were in the seats,thankfully. That away end looked dangerously packed. When we got to ipswich there were wednesdayites everywhere. Even their fans were in awe of how many of us were there. We utterly destroyed them and even missed a penalty. The football was amazing and you just knew that season would be good

• Like 1