Seeding? Is it fair?

Teams are seeded for the World Cup/Euros/CL qualifying and then seeded again for the main competition.  In the real world this would be seen as malpractice if a business/company/individual was given preferential treatment.

It makes a mockery of stats too.  You hear that Roger Federer has the record of reaching 36 consecutive quarter finals, of course he has, he doesn't play anyone decent until then.  

We hear that a team, lets use England, has qualified for the World Cup by winning 8 and drawing 2 so they must be a favourite.  They will have played one semi decent team, two bang average teams and two village sides to do that.

is it time for all names in a hat and have a REAL 'Group of Death'.

And also allow the chance of Andorra to reach a finals......

• Like 2

I would get away with seeding all together and it just ensures the top teams are always there or there abouts in the later stages. I would also do away with country protection as well. Who wouldn't want to see Italy, France, Germany and Spain fighting it out in a group stage? 

Who wouldn't want to see Real Madrid, Barcelona and Athletico Madrid fighting for a place in the last 16 of the Champions League. It just makes things boring.

• Like 1

Seeding is to ensure a decent representation of top nations in the finals - not knocking each other out in the group stages

The only "fair" way to eliminate bias is for everybody to play each other like in a league system - but that's not doable for things like the world cup

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, scram said:

Seeding is to ensure a decent representation of top nations in the finals - not knocking each other out in the group stages

The only "fair" way to eliminate bias is for everybody to play each other like in a league system - but that's not doable for things like the world cup

So it is fixed to ensure the top teams are always in the final stages of competitions?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, scram said:

Not ALL the top teams but a fair representation of them

So, taking this to its logical conclusion people are suggesting their should be as many qualifiers from Asia as there are from Europe

Why not?  Have a calculation that you have x amount of teams in your confederation and have a percentage qualify.  Therefore you get a percentage that is fair.  South America has 12 countries and has 4 places, while africa has 56 countries and only 5 qualifiers.

Seedings are better for the overall enjoyment of events like the World Cup. It lessens the likelihood of unbalanced games in the later stages of the tournament. I can see why people would argue it is unfair, but a team/person should eventually become a seed themselves if they're good enough.

The one stage of seeding I'm not keen on is in the qualification playoffs, if you've messed up your qualifying group stage, you don't have a right to be seeded in my opinion. It always annoys me how Portugal seem to benefit from this.

The beauty of the FA cup is you can draw anyone. The third round cab throw up Man City v Liverpool, or Man Utd v Droylsden and Arsenal v Tottenham or Chelsea v Gateshead. The randomness makes it the best cup competition in the world. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

Why not?  Have a calculation that you have x amount of teams in your confederation and have a percentage qualify.  Therefore you get a percentage that is fair.  South America has 12 countries and has 4 places, while africa has 56 countries and only 5 qualifiers.

But it doesn't work on a percentage system

Let's say 20% of teams from each federation qualifies - that would be 10 euro teams, 11 African teams yet 2 Sth American teams

20 hours ago, scram said:

But it doesn't work on a percentage system

Let's say 20% of teams from each federation qualifies - that would be 10 euro teams, 11 African teams yet 2 Sth American teams

why doesn't that work?

7 hours ago, Putney said:

Andorra do get a chance to qualify, the winners (North Macedonia) of League D in a previous Nations League got into the Euros because of it.

Their group was Armenia, Gibraltar and Liechtenstein.

I could be wrong but I think they have slightly altered the format from the first Nations League. I think now you can only qualify via play offs in Paths A, B and C. Winners in Path D go in to play offs with bottom of Path C to determine promotion/relegation. However they could potentially qualify for a tournament in the not too distant future as the Nations League is every other year so Latvia for example won't be able to qualify for the next tournament but the one after that they could if they are in the tier above.