2026 World Cup

Denver was a cert until a fire at Mile High a few months ago. Did some serious damage.

Then the Broncos sale was finalized and it became very likely that Mile High will he gone by 2026.

Walton set to go big with a brand new stadium city development out near the airport.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Even with the developments causing Denver to miss out, KC is still a surprising choice. 

Metro KC has a soccer fanbase, but Arrowhead is pretty remote. Going to be a bugger for 70k tourists to get to and from.

As for air travel (supposedly very important to FIFA), MCI is the only non-hub airport of all 11 U.S. host cities. It’s pretty poorly served.

Sure there will be charters during the tournament, but it won’t be the easiest city to get to.

3 hours ago, MSN SYSOP said:

Money talks...straighter butchers hooks than football federations 

If this was about money, every game would be in the U.S.

4 hours ago, Neal M said:

If this was about money, every game would be in the U.S.

They like to take it to regions they feel are up and coming with regards to football participation, which is why I imagine Canada has got a fair few. 

That said, ridiculous US have hosted World Cup games twice in 30 years and England is without one in 60. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neal M said:

Even with the developments causing Denver to miss out, KC is still a surprising choice. 

Metro KC has a soccer fanbase, but Arrowhead is pretty remote. Going to be a bugger for 70k tourists to get to and from.

As for air travel (supposedly very important to FIFA), MCI is the only non-hub airport of all 11 U.S. host cities. It’s pretty poorly served.

Sure there will be charters during the tournament, but it won’t be the easiest city to get to.

Was surprised at KC. Thought the new Raiders stadium in Vegas would have been the obvious choice. Wonder if it doesn't fit the criteria?

17 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

They like to take it to regions they feel are up and coming with regards to football participation, which is why I imagine Canada has got a fair few. 

That said, ridiculous US have hosted World Cup games twice in 30 years and England is without one in 60. 

We won't be hosting any soon after the Euros final farce.

5 hours ago, owlsfan_72 said:

Was surprised at KC. Thought the new Raiders stadium in Vegas would have been the obvious choice. Wonder if it doesn't fit the criteria?

The local authorities in and around Vegas turned the opportunity down in 2018.

FIFA wanted them to build two practice facilities and a couple of 20,000 capacity fan zones (where fans could watch the game for free). The total cost for those requirements was around $100 million. Vegas said no.

I guess Vegas already does pretty well with tourism and didn’t need to spend money chasing the WC.

Edited by Neal M
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Neal M said:

The local authorities in and around Vegas turned the opportunity down in 2018.

FIFA wanted them to build two practice facilities and a couple of 20,000 capacity fan zones (where fans could watch the game for free). The total cost for those requirements was around $100 million. Vegas said no.

I guess Vegas already does pretty well with tourism and didn’t need to spend money chasing the WC.

Didn't know that, thanks. Thought it was a weird omission. 

Never been to Kansas and don't want to. Doesn't seem like a great place for "soccer". 

image.png.057bc950288c92acc9a544918c096aa6.png

For quick reference.

Actually a reasonably considerate distribution of locations for the most part, but disappointed for Real Salt Lake fans, and long suffering Arizona football fans. RSL have got a decent following and Arizona fans are mental about their Phoenix Rising, FC Tucson, Barca and Real academies but have no MLS team, and both are 1000 miles from owt. Then you've got two cities in Texas, neither of which are particularly football cities, if anything I'd have picked Austin or Nashville and Salt Lake over Houston and Dallas. Also San Jose over San Francisco, who don't even have a chuffin professional team.