Hunt is perfect for the RWB role in a 3-5-2 but it’s a long season and at 31 he won’t be able to play every game to the level needed in a long season. With that in mind who are t he back-up options? I think Palmer can play that role if needed so does that mean we’re covered on that side? 

For LWB you’ve got Johnson who again is perfect for that role but what are the options after him for that side? Thought Brown would be a shoeing after his early season form last season but then tailed off massively. Could Galvin end up being Johnson’s deputy?

1 hour ago, DaveClark said:

Compare and contrast.

Both can play right back.   Palmer is better right back, Hunt is better Wing back.

Palmer can play left back and was for a time considered first choice there.   

Palmer plays makeshift Centre Half.

Palmer has played at the level we are currently at as a mainstay central midfielder, yes many years ago, but still - he has and I believe he was in the team of the season too when he was on loan at Tranmere?

I am not saying Hunt staying is not a great idea, I am saying you are an idiot.

Palmer also played behind the striker in his first couple of games, that's garymegson for you. He also played a bit on the right wing under Dave Jones.

Hunt randomly played one game in central midfield last season.

What all this proves, I don't know.

5 hours ago, El Toro said:

Hunt is perfect for the RWB role in a 3-5-2 but it’s a long season and at 31 he won’t be able to play every game to the level needed in a long season. With that in mind who are t he back-up options? I think Palmer can play that role if needed so does that mean we’re covered on that side? 

For LWB you’ve got Johnson who again is perfect for that role but what are the options after him for that side? Thought Brown would be a shoeing after his early season form last season but then tailed off massively. Could Galvin end up being Johnson’s deputy?

Slightly disagree with your fitness point on Hunt.

Probably one of the fittest in the squad and same age as Bannan who you wouldn’t leave out of available.

At 31 he has 2 good years playing most weeks I’d say.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, El Toro said:

He’s 31 not 51 lol

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

I'll get slated for this but I thought he was our weak link at times last season. Cant fault him for effort tho

Yep you are .  For me he was close to being Player of the Season if it had not been for an exceptional season from BB.

He delivered so many excellent crosses last season and despite being so high up the pitch (which was essential) he still managed to get back and be effective in defence. 
Feel free to watch back some games and see the extra movement (and anticipation) in the box from our forwards as soon as they saw Hunt had a yard to cross

6 hours ago, Tea Baggins said:

Slightly disagree with your fitness point on Hunt.

Probably one of the fittest in the squad and same age as Bannan who you wouldn’t leave out of available.

At 31 he has 2 good years playing most weeks I’d say.

I didn’t say he want fit, just the modern day wing back roles means you have to do the most running of any other player. To play 46 games with all the cups as well is a big ask and was only really pointing out who the back up options would be. 

11 hours ago, Buck Rogers said:

Brilliant stuff.

Jack's a cut above this league.

Lightning fast, fit as a butcher's dog, his crossing/decision making in the final third is even better now than under Carlos, he's now scoring goals and obviously enjoys it here.

Will be one of the top pieces of business we'll do this window.

Agreed. Hunty is a cracking player for this league.

Keeps himself extremely fit and gets up and down the line all game. Vital player for us if we want to stick with the wingback system.

Imagine the wait's been because he's been mulling over some other offers? Can't blame him if so.

• Like 1

Now we just need some backup in at the wingback positions too. An injury to Hunt or Johnson would've been disastrous for us last season, and will be again next season if we don't get some competition in there. Ideally younger players aimed at the longer term.