Pre Season games between 1995-2005

1 hour ago, owlsfan_72 said:

Wasn't it Gordon Watson?

I take it back you are right just found an article on sky new about it 

By Simon Fudge

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY have been dealt a blow in their hopes to sign striker Gordon Watson after he suffered a knee injury in training on Thursday.

The 32-year-old, who has been on trial with The Owls since early July, agreed a one-year deal earlier this week before going down with a knee injury.

Watson will be out for six to eight weeks with the knee problem, thus holding up his chances of putting pen-to-paper on the 12-month contract he agreed with the Hillsborough club.

The news is a major setback to both the player and the club, as Watson looked set to make a return to Wednesday, having last appeared for them when they were in The Premiership.

The former Bradford City man was released by Hartlepool United at last season's end and pondered with the idea of retirement before former Pools boss and current Owls manager Chris Turner offered him a trial.

Wednesday will now be forced to wait and see how Watson recovers from his knee injury, as the hit-man missed much of last season at Victoria Park with a broken leg.

"It was an accident in training and I am very disappointed," Turner told the club's official website.

"Gordon will be away from the club for the next four weeks and we'll reassess the situation when he returns."

Meanwhile, midfielder Simon Donnelly has joined Scottish First Division club St. Johnstone on a one-year deal at McDiarmid Park.

The former Celtic man left Hillsborough when his contract expired in the summer and the player has decided to return to Scotland to help The Saints gain promotion back to the Scottish Premier League

• Like 1

Not sure what year but at least 12 .. watched a preseason game on tv where we played Rochester Raging Rhinos.. I recall we won and played a couple of other USA teams that were in the same league as Vancouver Whitecaps at the time (pre MLS so before 2011)..  

8 hours ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Not sure what year but at least 12 .. watched a preseason game on tv where we played Rochester Raging Rhinos.. I recall we won and played a couple of other USA teams that were in the same league as Vancouver Whitecaps at the time (pre MLS so before 2011)..  

The game got delayed because of a thunder storm halfway through didn't it ? 

Or am I thinking of a different match 

8 hours ago, westy365owl said:

I take it back you are right just found an article on sky new about it 

By Simon Fudge

•  
  •  
  •  
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY have been dealt a blow in their hopes to sign striker Gordon Watson after he suffered a knee injury in training on Thursday.

The 32-year-old, who has been on trial with The Owls since early July, agreed a one-year deal earlier this week before going down with a knee injury.

Watson will be out for six to eight weeks with the knee problem, thus holding up his chances of putting pen-to-paper on the 12-month contract he agreed with the Hillsborough club.

The news is a major setback to both the player and the club, as Watson looked set to make a return to Wednesday, having last appeared for them when they were in The Premiership.

The former Bradford City man was released by Hartlepool United at last season's end and pondered with the idea of retirement before former Pools boss and current Owls manager Chris Turner offered him a trial.

Wednesday will now be forced to wait and see how Watson recovers from his knee injury, as the hit-man missed much of last season at Victoria Park with a broken leg.

"It was an accident in training and I am very disappointed," Turner told the club's official website.

"Gordon will be away from the club for the next four weeks and we'll reassess the situation when he returns."

Meanwhile, midfielder Simon Donnelly has joined Scottish First Division club St. Johnstone on a one-year deal at McDiarmid Park.

The former Celtic man left Hillsborough when his contract expired in the summer and the player has decided to return to Scotland to help The Saints gain promotion back to the Scottish Premier League

Genuinely have no memory of Flash nearly returning to the club.

15 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

2003-04

Starts with a short tour of the Netherlands:

8/7/03 VV Dovo 0-5 SWFC (Lee 3, Owusu, Watson)

10/7/03 DOS Kampen 0-4 SWFC (Evans 2, Holt, Shaw)

15/7/03 Donny Rovers 0-2 SWFC (Watson 2 [1 pen])

19/7/03 Macclesfield Town 1-3 SWFC (Kuqi 3 [1 pen])

22/7/03 SWFC 1-2 ADO Den Haag (Quinn [pen])

26/07/03 Hartlepool 1-3 SWFC (Owusu, McLaren, Armstrong)

1/8/03 SWFC 4-3 Newcastle (Owusu, D.Smith, Armstrong, Kuqi)

12/5/04 Rotherham 2-1 SWFC (Quinn) - Testimonial for Hurst.

I didn't know we played Rotherham that year. Can anyone recall the game?

8 hours ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Sturrock was the manager so must have been 2005 or 2006. I remember going to a friendly at Mansfield on a Monday night just after that, we looked totally jetlagged and lost 4-0. 

On 17/06/2022 at 18:10, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

2001-02

18/7/01 Dunfirmline Altheltic 3-1 SWFC (Sibon)

20/7/01 Kilmarnock 0-0 SWFC

25/07/01 Hull City 0-0 SWFC

28/07/01 SWFC 0-0 Derby

31/07/01 York City 1-2 SWFC (McLaren, Quinn)

4/8/01 SWFC 1-0 Deportivo Alves (McLaren).

What an exciting pre season campaign. 6 games, 4 goals scored, 4 goals conceded and three consecutive goalless draws.

I went to most of those games- some shockers.

Sibons goal v Dunfermline was an absolute wonder goal ! 

16 hours ago, Whitecap Owl said:

We played Wilmington Hammerheads, an All-Star team of the American second tier in NC and then Rochester Raging Rhinos.

The team had Bully, Steve MacLean and Kenny Lunt - so was that 2005/6?

8 hours ago, westy365owl said:

The game got delayed because of a thunder storm halfway through didn't it ? 

Or am I thinking of a different match 

Think that was the Wilmington Hammerheads game. About 200 drunk Wednesdayites under the stand singing during the storm. Don't think the locals had seen anything like it. Think I've got some photos somewhere.

4 minutes ago, owlsfan_72 said:

We played Wilmington Hammerheads, an All-Star team of the American second tier in NC and then Rochester Raging Rhinos.

The team had Bully, Steve MacLean and Kenny Lunt - so was that 2005/6?

Think it was the year after if Kenny Lunt was playing. Didn't we go up to Dundee in 2005 for that mini tournament?

43 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Think it was the year after if Kenny Lunt was playing. Didn't we go up to Dundee in 2005 for that mini tournament?

47 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

.  After much digging - I found this....  I was disappointed that they didn't do the West Coast swing... instead we got Cardiff City playing the Caps...

If you read the SWFC notes you see the note regarding the storm delayed game against Wilmington - a 1-1 draw (still don't remember the score of this one though - it was on telly though)...

image.png.dea598b85ce898b47883df0b578de103.png

1 minute ago, Whitecap Owl said:

.  After much digging - I found this....  I was disappointed that they didn't do the West Coast swing... instead we got Cardiff City playing the Caps...

If you read the SWFC notes you see the note regarding the storm delayed game against Wilmington - a 1-1 draw (still don't remember the score of this one though - it was on telly though)...

image.png.dea598b85ce898b47883df0b578de103.png

Read it again - we also played against a USL All Star Team on July 19th to a nail biting barn burner of a  nil nil draw.... 

1 hour ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Read it again - we also played against a USL All Star Team on July 19th to a nail biting barn burner of a  nil nil draw.... 

It was a shocker. Shown live on TV in America as well. We watched it in a bar in Manhattan delighted that we didn't miss a cracking game.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 00:22, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

2003-04

Starts with a short tour of the Netherlands:

8/7/03 VV Dovo 0-5 SWFC (Lee 3, Owusu, Watson)

10/7/03 DOS Kampen 0-4 SWFC (Evans 2, Holt, Shaw)

15/7/03 Donny Rovers 0-2 SWFC (Watson 2 [1 pen])

19/7/03 Macclesfield Town 1-3 SWFC (Kuqi 3 [1 pen])

22/7/03 SWFC 1-2 ADO Den Haag (Quinn [pen])

26/07/03 Hartlepool 1-3 SWFC (Owusu, McLaren, Armstrong)

1/8/03 SWFC 4-3 Newcastle (Owusu, D.Smith, Armstrong, Kuqi)

12/5/04 Rotherham 2-1 SWFC (Quinn) - Testimonial for Hurst.

Do you by any chance have the friendlies from 2004-05 and 2005-06 please mate?

I was at that Donny game at Belle Vue. It was absolute chaos queuing up to get in, we took the away end and nearly all of their main stand. Gordon Watson's long range goal was sublime. Remember thinking what a player, he hasn't lost it, if we can get him back in the side the sky is the limit. And then of course he got that injury.

Remember going to Macclesfield away and giving their keeper, Wilson I seem to recall, some right banter. Pre-match drinks in a random pub at the bottom of a hill as well. 

Good times.

Hi @GoldenLee

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It's been a hectic couple of weeks and today is the first day in a while I haven't been working late into the evening:

2004-5

13/7/04 SWFC 3-2 Preston (Marsden, MacLean, Proudlock) -Copa de Ibiza semi final

15/7/04 SWFC 1-1 Watford [lost 4-5 on penalties] (Proudlock)

24/7/04 York City 1-2 SWFC (Brunt, Peacock)

28/7/04 SWFC 0-1 Birmingham

31/7/04 SWFC 2-2 Bolton (MacLaren 2 [1 pen])

3/8/04 SWFC 3-6 Everton (Ndumbu-Nsungu 2, Proudlock)

2005-06

12/7/05 Sheffield FC 1-7 SWFC (Peacock 2, Brunt 2, MacLaren 2 [1 pen], Reet

14/7/05 Stocksbridge 0-1 SWFC (Brunt)

18/7/05 Grimsby 1-2 SWFC (MacLaren, Proudlock)

20/7/05 Partick Thistle 0-0 Wednesday

23/7/05 SWFC 0-0 Wolves [won 5-4 on penalties] - City of Discovery Cup semi final at Dundee United's ground.

24/7/05 Dundee United 2-1 SWFC (Peacock) - City of Discovery Cup final at Dundee FC's ground.

27/7/05 Mansfield 0-0 SWFC

31/7/05 SWFC 1-1 Man City (Whelan)

1/8/05 York City 2-1 SWFC (Partridge)

This pre-season was a personal favourite of mine. It was my first with my own car and got to most games, only missing Grimsby and Partick.

Even managed to turn the Dundee thing into a stag do.