Mendez-Laing Contract Latest

8 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

We played 31 since he signed but he played in just 18, so he featured in just over half.

Over a whole season including cup competitions that equates to about 27 appearances. I want players who are consistently going to be in the side for 40+ appearances per season. If they can't manage that it's for one of two reasons, either form isn't good enough or physically (injuries) they aren't up to it.

Agree on that point. I meant about him having an over inflated opinion of his worth. I've never seen anything that makes me think that.

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

Moore should be put up in front of a select committee after playing this guy up front for so long. Unbelievable 

What do you mean about a select committee?

Also how many games did he play up front? 

19 minutes ago, markg said:

Agree on that point. I meant about him having an over inflated opinion of his worth. I've never seen anything that makes me think that.

Suppose it depends on the context in which you take that quote. I may have taken it the wrong way in thinking that he was belittling Wednesday's offer when others say he may have been ridiculing Pogba.

6 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Out of Hunt, Luongo and NML, he's the one i'm least fussed about. Granted it doesn't look great IF we're messing him about and not offering him anything yet, it doesn't reflect too good on us if we're dragging things out, just hope we aren't doing the same with Hunt and Luongo. They've both served us well, much better than NML. And they deserve respecting with proper contract negotiations. 

We've already offered him a contract, that was established when the "Released list" was published. The point of the released list is that any player whose contract is expiring that isn't offered a contract can immediately start negotiating with other clubs. For players that are offered new contracts they have to wait until the window opens to officially agree terms with other teams.

5 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

What do you mean about a select committee?

Also how many games did he play up front? 

Rotherham is the one that stands out. 

I can't think it was that many, surely? 

4 or 5 games? It didn't work anyway, as NML couldn't finish his dinner most of the time. 

9 hours ago, markg said:

Why do you get the idea hat he’s doing that? 

Well, it could be misconstrued as "up yours, Wednesday" but we don't know for sure, which is why I'm reserving judgement. It could also be that he means absolutely nothing by what he's saying, maybe a past experience and he's just empathising with PP. Who knows, let's give it another few days and see what his decision is. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Well, it could be misconstrued as "up yours, Wednesday" but we don't know for sure, which is why I'm reserving judgement. It could also be that he means absolutely nothing by what he's saying, maybe a past experience and he's just empathising with PP. Who knows, let's give it another few days and see what his decision is. 

It looks like a sarcastic response to pogba. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Just catching up on this thread now.

Sat open-mouthed at how many Wednesday fans have used a tweet about Paul Pogba as a pretext for laying into one of our players.

Utterly bizarre 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Just catching up on this thread now.

Sat open-mouthed at how many Wednesday fans have used a tweet about Paul Pogba as a pretext for laying into one of our players.

He isn't one of our players he hasn't signed his contract.

He believes he is better than the money we have offered him, let him go and find it eleswhere. 

48 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Likely not but given his contract situation here it could  be misconstrued as you say. Probably why he amended his original comment.

I usually appreciate that being a footballer can be hard it takes a lot dedication but when I see players posting this rubbish makes you want to give there heads a wobble… don’t know they are born! 

the nothing that pogba is talking about is more a week in wages it takes a lot of people 10 years to earn, the cheek of it as he’s been rubbish in 75% of his games for Man U 

• Like 1

Hard to know if he’s aiming at us or not let’s wait to fully see what happens before judging . 

My view on NML clearly has talent pace and power . Will play better as a winger and not wing back . Had some good moments for us and some questionable ones . If he re signs as an option I’d be happy , if he doesn’t I wouldn’t be disappointed 

• Like 1

The problem with social media is encapsulated in this thread.

Let's say it was a bigger club and player for a moment, but the responses would be exactly the same

A news outlet on a particularly slow day picks up on it and states "x clubs fans up in arms at x's contract disagreement".

They use a handful of social media comments to contextualise the headline and the bulk of the argument with maybe in some instances a caveat showing the other side at the end.

It drives traffic (therefore selling advertising space) despite it being a snapshot in time.

Happens every time there's a social media news story, on any outlet, about public anger. Its always a handful of responses to a social media post to evidence the bombastic headline.

I'm not saying all journalists; it's mainly rags like the red tops or the daily mail to be fair. The mail have their own advertising platform so anything that increases traffic, even if fabricated, means more money to them.

FWIW, I see this as NML being sarcastic to pogba not disputing his own pay

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1