"Moore wants Wednesday to be more tactically flexible next season."

Guest Jack the Hat

Moore wants Wednesday to be more tactically flexible next season. He must have been really frustrated the way the team kept playing last season. If only he could have influenced the tactics in some way when Plan A wasn't working.

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Did we have the players to adopt different formations last season, though?

Once it became clear that Gregory wasn't great as a lone forward, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 were pretty much off the table, weren't they?

It was more about being tactically inflexible during games. Numerous times, we either struggled from the off, or the opposing managers made tactical changes that we/he just couldn't react to. Moore pretty much had no plan B, all he tended to do was change the strikers jeep the same system and hope it worked out - occasionally it did (Donny away), other times it didn't and made him look a bit daft (Wycombe away). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think we keep what worked from last year and recruit to that, with an eye on plan B when necessary.

Considering the new substitution rule, now much easier to be tactically flexible given we can change half the outfield players during a game. Should suit clubs with larger squads to positively affect or manage games. 

Our recruitment is looking good so far, addressing the weaknesses from last year and look forward to seeing how we line up come the first game of the season. Hopefully a strong starting 11 with plenty of options from the bench. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

It was more about being tactically inflexible during games. Numerous times, we either struggled from the off, or the opposing managers made tactical changes that we/he just couldn't react to. Moore pretty much had no plan B, all he tended to do was change the strikers jeep the same system and hope it worked out - occasionally it did (Donny away), other times it didn't and made him look a bit daft (Wycombe away). 

We didn't have a great deal of effective options within the squad though, did we?

If we wanted to adopt a 4-2-3-1 away at Wycombe, who would we have played as the '1'? Who would have been our fullbacks and our wide midfielders?

I suppose we could have cobbled something like this together...

Peacock-Farrell

Palmer     Storey     Dunkley     Johnson

Luongo     Dele Bashiru

Mendez-Laing     Bannan     Shodipo

Gregory

...but I can understand why he might not have fancied that.

If we're recruiting for more than one system next season, then hopefully we'll be in a position to transition between both options without significantly weakening our team.

If we can pull it off, then it can only be a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Said in another post to think we can just pick up where we left off last season will be naive luongo and hunt haven’t signed yet and if they go that leaves our back 7 ( luongo as DM ) all needing replacing except Johnson it’s more than 50 % of the squad so we are literally starting again

Now consider the nee 5 sub rule allegedly coming into play the extra two bodies will massively enable teams to change formation and tactics 

teams have tried this in the past but the extra two bodies will really help

quite often you see managers waiting until the 60th-70th minute to change a game but now they can make two subs at half time and a further 3 later on 

the tactics will have completely changed 

we’ve all seen how a sub can change a game now imagine two at halftime with a formation change and team talk behind them 

the ability to be able to react and change formation on the pitch and off the bench is going to be huge 

for me any match day squad with the use of 5 subs should be able to play at least 5 fluent formations 

no longer are managers going to delay making that change and use them for late tactic changes or fatigue they will make them at g  as of time 

looking at the players that moore is rumoured to be looking at 

Anderson 

smith 

wilks and he’s bought in stockdale 

I’d be surprised if we don’t use a quick long direct ball stockdale was known last season for releasing the  ball early and starting counter attacks both short and direct and we’re adding pace and hold up play at the top of the pitch 

Next season is going to interesting to see how everyone managers the new rule changes and how it effects the game 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I was agreeing with you, if that helps.

Cool. I wasn't sure!

I think Moore's hands were tied to a certain extent last season, as we didn't have the players available to make other formations work nearly as well as 3-5-2. Going forward though, he clearly wants to address that, which can only be a good thing.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Cool. I wasn't sure!

I think Moore's hands were tied to a certain extent last season, as we didn't have the players available to make other formations work nearly as well as 3-5-2. Going forward though, he clearly wants to address that, which can only be a good thing.

He signed a shed-load of players that didn't fit his system, Corbeanu, Shodipo, NML - those wages could have gone elsewhere, or another formation could have been used, one that involves the abundance of wingers in the squad - a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 (with Gregory flanked by 2 of the wingers).

To say he didn't have options is simply untrue - he chose not to use them.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1