Stockdale Incoming

Second sensible signing of the summer.

We had a weakness last season at the back and have now signed two lads on free transfers, top performers with good stats in this league to stop us conceding as many soft goals. 

Solid if not spectacular so far, hopefully some good news on the out of contract players offered terms to follow shortly so we know what we have to do recruitment wise. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Taken one of the best performers from a promotion rival and plugged a gap in the team. 

Good start to the summer recruitment. 

Was he offered a new contract at Wycombe? 

If so, I wonder if that's going to see them scraping around to find a replacement. 

Guest Musttryharder
2 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Not another one who has lost his way......are we getting some sort of PFA grant for services to football in rehabilitating these players?

I suppose signing a 37 year old goalie is the way forward. At least we will be on the top of the league for the average age of the team. I may have dreamt it but Im sure I read something about the club wanting to lower the average age of the squad. Is Stockdale really the best we could do.

Just now, Musttryharder said:

I suppose signing a 37 year old goalie is the way forward. At least we will be on the top of the league for the average age of the team. I may have dreamt it but Im sure I read something about the club wanting to lower the average age of the squad. Is Stockdale really the best we could do.

🙄 we've signed one of the top goalkeepers in the league we are in from last season.

Why does a goalkeepers age matter?

• Like 3

Guest Musttryharder
1 minute ago, PTLiam said:

🙄 we've signed one of the top goalkeepers in the league we are in from last season.

Why does a goalkeepers age matter?

It matters if your trying to get the average down of the squad down. So age is no issue with regard to a goalie. So in your humble opinion at what age does a goalie start to lose is sharpness, reflex speed etc. If the age was no issue Im sure there would be many more 37 year olds still plying their trade professionally or queuing up to play for Wednesday

1 hour ago, darklord said:

Is there only me it bothers that in the dressing room pic he’s got the scarf the wrong way round so it reads ‘Owls The’ instead of ‘The Owls’ 🤦🏻‍♂️

On a serious note, I’m interested to see what Moore’s thinking is with this signing and what it means for Dawson. Don’t have anything against us signing an experienced keeper as he could have a similar effect to what Bywater had the last time we were promoted from this level. However, I honestly thought given how well Dawson had done with Exeter he would be coming back as no.1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Musttryharder said:

It matters if your trying to get the average down of the squad down. So age is no issue with regard to a goalie. So in your humble opinion at what age does a goalie start to lose is sharpness, reflex speed etc. If the age was no issue Im sure there would be many more 37 year olds still plying their trade professionally or queuing up to play for Wednesday

We can still bring the average age down and still have an experienced GK 🙄

I reckon he's shagged your Mrs 

out of interest, who did you want us to sign in goal then ? 

6 minutes ago, Musttryharder said:

We are a league 1 club. We've signed a proven performer at this level.

See copious examples of goalies over 35 that still play in higher leagues than l1 and do so well. 

Signing a 36 year old keeper is not like signing a 36 year old centre back or winger. 

Guest Musttryharder
19 minutes ago, PTLiam said:

We can still bring the average age down and still have an experienced GK 🙄

I reckon he's shagged your Mrs 

out of interest, who did you want us to sign in goal then ? 

You have a made a very valid point and I stand corrected with your superior knowledge of the game. By the way, your mum sends her regards and says youvre never changed trying to be a cocky little ********. Shes not very good between the sheets but for gods sake dont tell her. Shes a great little regular and cheap.

Nearly forgot, Id give Dawson a chance first since he had pretty good season at Exeter and let that position for Dawson to lose rather than the other way round.

2 minutes ago, Musttryharder said:

You have a made a very valid point and I stand corrected with your superior knowledge of the game. By the way, your mum sends her regards and says youvre never changed trying to be a cocky little ********. Shes not very good between the sheets but for gods sake dont tell her. Shes a great little regular and cheap.

Nearly forgot, Id give Dawson a chance first since he had pretty good season at Exeter and let that position for Dawson to lose rather than the other way round.

Dawson found his level last year. 

16 minutes ago, Musttryharder said:

By the way, your mum sends her regards and says youvre never changed trying to be a cocky little ********. Shes not very good between the sheets but for gods sake dont tell her. Shes a great little regular and cheap.

Username checks out.

• Haha 1