Stockdale Terms Agreed

I don't think he's coming in as the sure Number 1. It'll be a battle between him and Dawson for the jersey.

Arguably it's a great bit of business. Very good season last year, experienced at this level and coming to the end of his career. His experience and knowledge can also help Dawson even further. No disrespect to Wildsmith but he's not really put the pressure on the Number 1 when the back up keeper whereas Stockdale and Dawson feels like a good set of keepers.

With the season he's had i still think Dawson has a chance at starting the season but with Stockdale's stats from last season it'll be a tough ask. Nice competition.

Does look as though we are signing players who have performed well statistically at this level. Actual scouting and analysis it seems.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

This is one of those solid reassuring signings that makes me think next season is going to be a good one. 

Is it exciting to sign a 36 year old keeper? No. Is he what  we need right now as we look to build a solid and steady defensive unit? Yes. 

My favourite thing about him though is his unbelievably conceited website. 😂

https://www.davidstockdale13.co.uk

Jesus Christ that website is a cracker :duntmatter:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

I don't think he's coming in as the sure Number 1. It'll be a battle between him and Dawson for the jersey.

Arguably it's a great bit of business. Very good season last year, experienced at this level and coming to the end of his career. His experience and knowledge can also help Dawson even further. No disrespect to Wildsmith but he's not really put the pressure on the Number 1 when the back up keeper whereas Stockdale and Dawson feels like a good set of keepers.

With the season he's had i still think Dawson has a chance at starting the season but with Stockdale's stats from last season it'll be a tough ask. Nice competition.

Does look as though we are signing players who have performed well statistically at this level. Actual scouting and analysis it seems.

Just what planet do you reside on FFS

17 hours ago, Mick70 said:

Signed a cb that can head a ball and now a keeper that comes out to claim it convincingly we might just might be solving our biggest issues from last season 

Indeed. In two signings we’ve hopefully gone a long way to cutting out a ton of goals we conceded last season that were the difference between play offs and top 2. 

Guest mrbluesky

Happy with this signing, give’s Dawson some competition,, hope he starts at the beginning of the season, tbh.

On 14/06/2022 at 19:24, victorturner said:

Thanks for that. They still wanted him but he has been offered more money by us. Understand it but what does Dawson do?

Judging by the interview it looks like they will both compete for the shirt. 

Cant knock this signing one bit. Statistically the best keeper in the league last season, weakens a promotion rival, and gives us 2 good goalkeeping options at the opposite ends of the spectrum, someone in his mid 20's with a league 2 promotion, and someone in his mid 30's with an unbelievable wealth of experience. 

2 more centre backs needed now, would be happy with Dean and Tucker. Tie down Hunt and Luongo, then i'd say we're almost there. Might some cover at Wing back to help Hunt and Johnson out and maybe a 4th attacking option to go with Gregory, Windass and Pato. Jobs a good un, preferably Wilks

19 hours ago, striker said:

Please let this be the player reveal video.... Camera cuts to Stockdale, stands up takes off his jacket then rips open his shirt to reveal the new Wednesday GK top, superman style. 

lol

image.thumb.png.9f46bdfa10a29a06e8dcee87f3898490.png

"And then, at the end of the season, I won the Golden Glove. Which was nice."

lol

• Haha 1

On 14/06/2022 at 20:41, Bluesteel. said:

Best of luck to him. Always tough coming into a position here where we have typically got it right and have high expectations. Since supporting us I’ve seen some genuinely decent keepers compared to other positions  in the team pressman, Lucas, grant, weaver, Kirkland, Westwood, BPF all all fondly remembered and new signings are compared to them. Stockdale more a David Lucas I think!

I started following us since Pressman days too. A lot of good successful keepers we've had, interesting how we usually always hit on signings there.

Have we had any bad ones over that period? Remember Adamson but he was a backup wasn't he.

14 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

I started following us since Pressman days too. A lot of good successful keepers we've had, interesting how we usually always hit on signings there.

Have we had any bad ones over that period? Remember Adamson but he was a backup wasn't he.

Ola Tidman. Paul Evans, Brad Jones spring to mind but the good ones over the years tend to outweigh them. Srnicek and Iain Turner we’re decent for a short spell too