A Settled Back 3

On 12/06/2022 at 12:23, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Wigan just won the league by alternating between a 4-2-3-1 and various setups which used a back 3.

With the right players, it can be a really effective system.

And whilst I agree that we don't currently have the right players, it does seem that Moore is after the more traditional 'target man' centre forward needed to make it work.

I’m not saying it doesn’t work it’s just every time we try it under whatever manager it always ends up with the striker isolated. 

On 12/06/2022 at 12:31, MallorcaOwl said:

Part of me agrees with you, but I think Iorfa can regain his form.

I’ve never been a big fan. His position is very poor for a defender but his pace and power gets him out of it. I don’t think he’s bad but I’d rather us look for a better defender. There are time lasts season tho where I would have brought him on up top lol 

23 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I’m not saying it doesn’t work it’s just every time we try it under whatever manager it always ends up with the striker isolated. 

True.

We've rarely had the right forward and the right attacking midfielders in our squad at the same time.

Maybe next season...

On 12/06/2022 at 08:29, Holmowl said:

Top of our Summer shopping list must be three tried and tested, out and out, fit and healthy CBs.

We used NINE different players in our back 3 for the final 15 games of the season:-

Storey 14

Hutchinson 12

Palmer 7

Dean 4

Iorfa 2

Gibson 2

Dunkley 2

Johnson 1

Brennan 1

Only twice did we field the same back 3 in successive matches. That’s no way to build defensive understanding between the back 3 and keeper.

I have little doubt that Moore is looking hard for CBs. I hope he finds 3 who are good enough and crucially fit enough to forge understanding across a regular back-line who know each other’s game inside out. It would transform us.

The precision back 4 George Graham built which wenger inherited was paramout to both their successes. A good miserly back line helps spread confidence throughout the whole team from front to back.. It allows your creative players to try to do things with confidence that if it dosent come off its not going to lead to conceding a gaol too. 

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
On 12/06/2022 at 12:31, MallorcaOwl said:

Part of me agrees with you, but I think Iorfa can regain his form.

I agree with a settled back line and I agree Iorfa can regain form but he isn’t a leader. Would love Harley dean back.

Edited by Jack the Hat

On 12/06/2022 at 09:17, fpowl said:

Amazing how lorfa has gone from being one of the first names on the team sheet in the championship to a league one back in player 

what I think he needs is a pretty solid preseason and avoid injury and he will be looking at  as little again 

he looked a beast the first few games of. Last season where he wasn’t getting out of second gear didn’t look on it when he finally came back from injury though 

preseason required 

Iorfa looked awful..imo..weve let our best defender go,hutch,let's see who comes in,dont think Dean will return..too good for this level.....

For me a massive reason we didn't have more of a crack at the top two was because of the lack of consistency in the back three.

Yeah we coped well at times but the consistency in that back line and keeper is massive, we need to get 40+ games out of whoever is playing in that back three.

It was a major reason for the poor record at set pieces as well, that knowhow of where to be and who is doing what. You can't get that if you have to make changes at the back week in week out.

This is why when people like me bang on about injuries it's not just the absence of players that was the problem, it was moving others around as well.

• Like 1

Our defensive record up to Christmas cost us dearly. Get that first half of the season sorted with a decent defence and the whole season becomes a positive ride. A back 3 or 4, depending on the opposition, is less important than a settled group of defenders.