EFL could stream matches and scrap 3pm protection

31 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Do we really think that some randoms who don't go to matches are going to start watching Wednesday instead of Man City or whoever?

At least now they'll have the choice.

At the minute, if you can't get to games, why be a Wednesday fan?

You can't follow it on TV, no green un any more, just them two prats on the radio and 20 seconds of a 2 hour TV programme.

Man City are on TV nearly every week.

If you're a young lad who lives 2 minutes from Hillsborough but can't afford tickets, who are you going to follow? Wednesday, who you've seen play twice last season, or Man City who you've seen 20-30 times.

The main reason the young ones follow the big clubs over local is accessibility. They see these teams every day, where lower clubs are just something that causes traffic on a Saturday. 

Bringing the accessibility may have a short term impact, but in the long run, could bring a whole new generation of fans that would have been lost to the big EPL teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Do we really think that some randoms who don't go to matches are going to start watching Wednesday instead of Man City or whoever?

Apologies if I've missed it but I'm not sure anyone has claimed it would?

It's more about people who are Wednesday fans who can't get to Hillsborough/away games for whatever reason.

26 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

At least now they'll have the choice.

At the minute, if you can't get to games, why be a Wednesday fan?

You can't follow it on TV, no green un any more, just them two prats on the radio and 20 seconds of a 2 hour TV programme.

Man City are on TV nearly every week.

If you're a young lad who lives 2 minutes from Hillsborough but can't afford tickets, who are you going to follow? Wednesday, who you've seen play twice last season, or Man City who you've seen 20-30 times.

The main reason the young ones follow the big clubs over local is accessibility. They see these teams every day, where lower clubs are just something that causes traffic on a Saturday. 

Bringing the accessibility may have a short term impact, but in the long run, could bring a whole new generation of fans that would have been lost to the big EPL teams.

we are not a huge club globally, I can see this working for the current elite, but for clubs like ours we will be biting the hand that feeds us.

the end game for this is playing any professional football game with no stands or fans at all!

how does that sit? 

Fans make football

football is such a simple sport made so much more difficult by people trying to improve it.

2 minutes ago, nile said:

we are not a huge club globally, I can see this working for the current elite, but for clubs like ours we will be biting the hand that feeds us.

the end game for this is playing any professional football game with no stands or fans at all!

how does that sit? 

Fans make football

football is such a simple sport made so much more difficult by people trying to improve it.

But it makes it more accessible to those that want it.

This is a massive opportunity to get new blood in that we were otherwise not going to get.

The ill, the elderly, the poor, the ones that don't have enough tpp.

Grandad can sit with the grandkids and watch a match at home, bringing in a new generation.

Away matches can be watched with mates when you can't go.

Football and the way it's watched has changed, we need to change with it or be left behind by those that do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

But it makes it more accessible to those that want it.

This is a massive opportunity to get new blood in that we were otherwise not going to get.

The ill, the elderly, the poor, the ones that don't have enough tpp.

Grandad can sit with the grandkids and watch a match at home, bringing in a new generation.

Away matches can be watched with mates when you can't go.

Football and the way it's watched has changed, we need to change with it or be left behind by those that do.

If you want empty stadiums for games, then go for it.

it will have a massive impact on home attendances though, which impacts on the club going forward.

it’s so backward and will kill football in this country.

most lower clubs need gate receipts to survive, but suppose we can just play on some random field so long as a few hundred stream it.

it’s killing football

Just now, nile said:

it will have a massive impact on home attendances though, which impacts on the club going forward.

most lower clubs need gate receipts to survive, but suppose we can just play on some random field so long as a few hundred stream it.

it’s killing football

What's killing football is the unsustainable house of sand finance wise, that it's built on.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I'm think it would be a good thing. If I was in the UK, I'd probably stream more than I attended.

Those that want to go will always go. You can't beat the live experience.

it will kill any match day experience, especially when all or most away fans are sat at home watching it.

3 minutes ago, nile said:

it’s killing football

Those who can go will still go.

Those that can't will now have the opportunity to see them play week in week out. These people will go to games, but merch, spend money.

What about away games when only a few can attend?

This could go a long way to mitigating the pull of the EPL clubs, bring people back to Wednesday.

How many fans do we lose every year to people moving away, injuries or other commitments stopping them going?

The only ones against this will be the ones with season tickets and full tpp.

For everyone else it's a win.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

What's killing football is the unsustainable house of sand finance wise, that it's built on.

that’s an internal football matter that needs addressing by all football clubs, creating another avenue to dislodge fan from clubs is not the answer

6 minutes ago, nile said:

it will kill any match day experience, especially when all or most away fans are sat at home watching it.

The cost of traveling at the moment will kill that anyway.

Hardcore away fans will always travel though mate in all seriousness.

We've change the way we consume entertainment. If it's done the correct way we will see a rise in the number that are able to pay into the club directly.

Look I'm away at the moment, I could quite easily get one of those abroad I follow things, I'll be honest due to the time difference I'll be giving it a miss.

But in the UK, I'd be all over the streaming.

Drop the price for attending, make the streaming a competitive price. It'll work.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

The cost of traveling at the moment will kill that anyway.

Hardcore away fans will always travel though mate in all seriousness.

We've change the way we consume entertainment. If it's done the correct way we will see a rise in the number that are able to pay into the club directly.

no they won’t though, to a club like ours we can likely sacrifice 2000 fans to this scheme, but as you go down the football chain, clubs don’t have that prvilage.

it’s an elite gain and completely negative for any lower league side.

it will create a bigger divide than the short term thought of gaining any fan.

8 minutes ago, nile said:

no they won’t though, to a club like ours we can likely sacrifice 2000 fans to this scheme, but as you go down the football chain, clubs don’t have that prvilage.

it’s an elite gain and completely negative for any lower league side.

it will create a bigger divide than the short term thought of gaining any fan.

Would we or any club lose fans or gain more?

The UK is admittedly unique, you can travel long distances a day to watch your team. So I do see your point.

Perhaps due to the already huge divide we need to look at more creative measures to get fans watching games.

Or we've potentially gone so far down the road with divide that we will never close that divide anyway.

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

Would we or any club lose fans or gain more?

The UK is admittedly unique, you can travel long distances a day to watch your team. So I do see your point.

Perhaps due to the already huge divide we need to look at more creative measures to get fans watching games.

Or we've potentially gone so far down the road with divide that we will never close that divide anyway.

All this will do is create the death of of our football history and league format.

we could easily push regular fans away.

lower league clubs survive on gate receipts, they have no margins.

football is for fans

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nile said:

All this will do is create the death of of our football history and league format.

football is for fans

But if it's unsustainable in it's current format? What do you do?

I completely agree with your points.

6 hours ago, nile said:

football is for fans

Are fans stopping going to midweek fixtures? Not sure about other clubs but we've still been getting reasonable crowds in midweek when games have been on ifollow. I'm sceptical about home games being available when we have a half empty stadium but for away games we sell out most of the time so it gives thousands of fans the chance to watch the team whilst putting money into the club. 

• Like 2

You can buy beer wine and cider at a supermarket and drink at home. 

Or go to a pub or bar and drink the same stuff for three times the price but in a different environment as a treat from mundane day to day life.

So why are pubs shutting and other opening? Its the circle of life. Crap estate pubs catering to what used to constitute going out in the 90's - Carling and crisps - are shutting. Micropubs, neighbourhood pubs with great food, bars at Kelham or Abbeydale Rd - all opening at a rapid rate.

If you are sat drinking Carling at home on a Saturday evening then 3pm iFollow is for you. Knock yourselves out. Im for it and pleased for you.

For other people, we have to get the matchday experience right. Thats simply winning matches and being successful. You cant beat watching live sport in person (or music). 

21 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Are fans stopping going to midweek fixtures? Not sure about other clubs but we've still been getting reasonable crowds in midweek when games have been on ifollow. I'm sceptical about home games being available when we have a half empty stadium but for away games we sell out most of the time so it gives thousands of fans the chance to watch the team whilst putting money into the club. 

This is the real acid test, isn't it?

We've been able to pay a tenner to watch midweek games for the past season, so surely clubs have data to show whether midweek attendances are down on what they were when such a service was unavailable?

If they are, then it's probably a bad idea to open this up to include all games; if not, then crack on.

• Like 2