EFL could stream matches and scrap 3pm protection

Not to be an edge lord but who is going to pay decent money for EFL streaming in its current guise when A) the production quality, reliability of stream (EFL seem to send out an apology to any viewers effected every mid week round of fixtures due to ifollow) and accessibility (no aps for TV's just casting) are so poor. And B) when the dodgy version is so readily and widely available.

If successful streaming platforms have thought us anything this past 10 years or so, it's that people will pay if the price point and content is right.

Both of these points are currently way off.

Edited by musingowl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

It is currently so easy to watch 3pm kickoff games on ifollow despite the current restriction by simply using a dirt cheap VPN to pretend your in a different country that there won’t be any impact by making it ‘legit’ to do so. The crowd numbers already reflect the alternative route of watching games online (including both legitimate and illegitimate means). 

The live matchday experience offers something different. If you want to make those numbers bigger then make the experience better/ better value. 

The live streaming genie is already out of the bottle. Use the new platforms rather than fighting them. 

This 👍

• Like 1

I live 330 miles from Hillsborough so watch nearly all of our games on Ifollow.

It isn't anything like going to the actual match, more of a means to an end.

People will continue going to matches for the atmosphere which you just don't get at home. You can have 50 mates round to watch the headliners at Glastonbury but it's not the same as actually being there. 

My hope is that increased Ifollow availability will increase revenue for EFL clubs rather than reduce attendances.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Asio otus said:

Like them or not, social media companies are going to roll them out fully for all clubs.very soon, its inevitable.

Money talks

The best coverage last season was the Amazon Prime Xmas matches. Their Soccer Saturday style update programme was great...one major match live and all the games updated live as the chances and goals happened. Made Soccer Saturday look like Grandstand in comparison

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, andytrig said:

People will continue going to matches for the atmosphere which you just don't get at home. You can have 50 mates round to watch the headliners at Glastonbury but it's not the same as actually being there. 

My hope is that increased Ifollow availability will increase revenue for EFL clubs rather than reduce attendances.

Maybe not but it gets fairly close if they trash your toilet, trail a load of mud into your lounge and throw up in the kitchen sink  lol

• Haha 2

I think the immediate affect on attendance would be relatively minimal. Are midweek attendances really that much down on Saturday's since they started streaming midweek games?

I know it is lower in midweek, but how much lower is it, proportionately speaking vs. Saturdays, than it was before they started streaming midweek games?

But the damage could be more visible in 20 years time. I can't see too high a proportion of the current attending fans giving it up for streaming, but what about the next generation who get into it through streaming? Will they ever start attending regularly?

For me personally, I can't see me using it because the service itself is crap. I rarely used it during the pandemic and rarely do for midweek away games. But that is all down to it being a poor experience.

If they got around to doing a TV app, or at least let you cast it from your phone. And if they made it more reliable in general, then I'd probably use it more often, at least for away games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geedee said:

I think its the same as live football. Going to the cinema is a night out and totally different to watching a film at home. eg Watching a 'big' film like Lord of the Rings  is a totally different experience on the big screen. In the same way I could have watched the play off semi final at home but would not have missed going to Hillsborough for the world.

Yeah, I can see your point. 

3 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I think the immediate affect on attendance would be relatively minimal. Are midweek attendances really that much down on Saturday's since they started streaming midweek games?

I know it is lower in midweek, but how much lower is it, proportionately speaking vs. Saturdays, than it was before they started streaming midweek games?

But the damage could be more visible in 20 years time. I can't see too high a proportion of the current attending fans giving it up for streaming, but what about the next generation who get into it through streaming? Will they ever start attending regularly?

For me personally, I can't see me using it because the service itself is crap. I rarely used it during the pandemic and rarely do for midweek away games. But that is all down to it being a poor experience.

If they got around to doing a TV app, or at least let you cast it from your phone. And if they made it more reliable in general, then I'd probably use it more often, at least for away games.

Honestly, I think there are now a generation of fans who would struggle to watch a full game on the tv, let alone go and actually attend a match. 

It's very easy to be a "fan" and watch all the good bits on Youtube, Twitter etc. Heck, some of these people might get bored watching MOTD highlights lol 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Anything would be better then ifollow as connection/stream is terrible 50% of the time and customer service is disgraceful....

Should just do our own service all profits to club.If possible..

UTO

I watched pretty much every game bar the play-off semis on iFollow last year and honestly didn't have a problem once. The coverage was awful when it first started, but it is fine now. Are you sure it's not your internet that's the problem?

• Like 3

Personally I don't think there is a better experience than going to a game, I don't think you can beat the atmosphere at live matches, obviously if you can't make it to the game then for me the next best is watching in a pub where there will be an atmosphere or at home with a mate or mates where you can share the emotions of the game, obviously if you live alone or have no mates then it can be crap, but overall I don't like the fact games are shown live on TV because it obviously affects the attendances but we have to live with the fact that money rules the game now ffs and it's not only football, Wimbledon have announced that this year's singles final winners will receive 2 million pounds each male and female of course, people are starving etc etc and sport is just being ruined by greedy bosturds in their ivory towers and as long as we punters/suckers keep paying it will only get worse. Amen

• Thanks 1

watching the football during lockdown was garbage ,absolutely no way is it even 10% as good watching a game on tv than been there.  i will be watching league 1 later in the year when that dodgy world cup is on ,even if we were playing in pouring rain id sooner attend than watch boring international football on tv. 

• Like 1

Could they not implement a blackout radius from the ground. Yes I’m a crap fan as I know others travel further, but I’m 3 1/2 hours away, a visit to Hillsborough isn’t cheap, plus I’ve a young family and have other commitments on a Saturday. For the last 18 years I’ve religiously sat in front of the computer and listened to the live stream via SWFC. In recent times I’ve been lucky enough to VPN and pay for the live stream. 

I don’t see how by me doing that I’m taking money away from the club or effect attendance (appreciate others who live closer may opt to stay away)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, shandypants said:

Streaming would equate to a loss of matchday income. Do not implement streaming, lower the matchday ticket prices instead; £20 max for an adult ticket for all league games; parent and children deals; etc

Agree with that 100%. Get them down to the games. Couch potato fans do nothing to help the atmosphere on match days.

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Honestly, I think there are now a generation of fans who would struggle to watch a full game on the tv, let alone go and actually attend a match. 

It's very easy to be a "fan" and watch all the good bits on Youtube, Twitter etc. Heck, some of these people might get bored watching MOTD highlights lol 

spot on mate ....watch any game not involving us and after 10 minutes or so i'm switching  it off ......quest is about as much as i can watch 

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

It’s true. My kids will just about watch the three min highlights on Sky if we win. No way they will even begin to watch the extended highlights never mind a full game! 

I actually spoke to them about what being a Wednesday fan means to them. Basically it means they want us to win but don’t really have any interest in the actual football. They will go to humour me and their Grandad. 

The only live games they go with any enthusiasm are our local team where they can go for next to nothing and have a laugh with their mates. Even then they come home and can’t tell me anything about the actual football!

They did point out that I am a Dinosaur. And sadly, I have to agree with them…

• Like 1

I can't speak for everyone but in my experience streaming is a great option, especially for away games, and doesn't really affect attendances. I only have myself and my family before I moved country as comparison, but I'd watch every away match I could on Ifollow, and then go to every home match I could in person, as would my mother and my nephew, and before she was too old, my nan. Streaming never replaced live attendance, but it was great when I was ill and couldn't make a home match. My nephew occasionally didn't go to a match and chose to stream instead, but before streaming was an option he'd also occasionally just not go to a match because it was cold or something, so at least with streaming he is still giving the club money. I'd love to see the club start season tickets with streaming options on top of it, like pay an extra £200 and get full access to streaming. 
I think the only people who would exclusively stream are those who wouldn't go anyway, like me now that I have moved country. I cannot be travelling over 1000 miles every weekend, so Wednesday would have missed out on my money if streaming wasn't an option. And who knows, people who weren't fussed might get dragged into it and  become fans. I've already converted plenty of Swedes to the Wednesday way by inviting people around to watch matches, so they might end up spending money at hillsborough if they ever visited the UK. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Whittonowl
21 hours ago, SiJ said:
On 10/06/2022 at 15:14, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

It's very easy to be a "fan" and watch all the good bits on Youtube, Twitter etc. Heck, some of these people might get bored watching

I agree

i am an old fart. I live 200 miles away. I haven’t seen a live game since the pandemic hit. I’ve a feeling I won’t again given travelling expenses. 
Football is an expensive hobby. Great for those in good jobs. 
I am happy to develop my listening skills and pay for audio coverage. BUT  please:::::

ask the commentators to mention where the play is occurring on the pitch occasionally——- It usually feels like I am eavesdropping on a tv commentary 
I will follow every game. I am a supporter  Despite the horrible comments 

On 10/06/2022 at 09:42, andytrig said:

Just get someone to stand outside your house and shout “programmes three quid” every few minutes.

• Haha 5