EFL could stream matches and scrap 3pm protection

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

Streaming would equate to a loss of matchday income. Do not implement streaming, lower the matchday ticket prices instead; £20 max for an adult ticket for all league games; parent and children deals; etc

This. 

Nothing else needs saying. 

Streaming is already available (yes not officially). I watched every game I didn't attend last season from the comfort of my home. Does being able to stream a match on a dark Tuesday evening put me off going to the match...absolutely. Living Two hours from Sheffield and having the match available to watch at home definitely is reducing the amount of games I go to.

Streaming doesn't work for lower league clubs. The only people who will pay to watch the stream will live far away or will be fans who then won't go to the game. 

Would be better reducing matchday pricing and getting people in the ground. 

People won't like it but the 3PM is an outdated practice in 2022. Don't get me wrong there is a part of me that hates saying that but it's just a fact.

I don't think it'd have the big effect on attendances as people seem to think. I know the argument is it'd take away from lower league/non league attendances, to be honest the people going to those games are going to go regardless of if they can stream other games I think, the odd one or two maybe but I don't think it's this earth shattering prospect some seem to think it is.

It also gives people who can't get the Hillsborough week in week out for whatever reason a chance to watch the match and to give some kind of financial support to the club, lets say you work in a job with shifts and you don't end until 2PM on a Saturday and can't get back from work and then to Hillsborough in time, why should you not see the match because you have to work? If you can get home, pay £10 and watch it, why not?

I totally agree with the calls to lower ticket prices, I've been saying that for years that football in general is too expensive, you only have to look at the back patting going on yesterday that the Premier League was keeping the cap at £30 away tickets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Streaming is already available (yes not officially). I watched every game I didn't attend last season from the comfort of my home. Does being able to stream a match on a dark Tuesday evening put me off going to the match...absolutely. Living Two hours from Sheffield and having the match available to watch at home definitely is reducing the amount of games I go to.

Streaming doesn't work for lower league clubs. The only people who will pay to watch the stream will live far away or will be fans who then won't go to the game. 

Would be better reducing matchday pricing and getting people in the ground. 

I think there is another significant market.

My uncle lived just off city Road all his life. As a young man he was a regular at Hillsborough. In the last decade of his life he was virtually housebound. He would have loved to buy an online season ticket. There are lots of people who live near to a ground but for some reason cannot go.

It doesn't have to be disability , it can be work , family or other commitments.

• Like 2

ill pay a tenner a game to stream

i wont go to Hillsborough for 40 quid

let me stream for a tenner or pay 25 to get in... other than that idc

probably not going again until chansiri leaves tbh - can't stand him 

• Like 1

Just received this email from iFollow:

iFollow Wednesday is the official streaming service of Sheffield Wednesday, with the money generated from pass sales going directly to support your club.

This email is to remind you that your iFollow Season Pass will automatically renew on 1st July 2022.

For the very first time, in the 2022/23 season all 46 of your team’s games are guaranteed to be shown live on iFollow, regardless of any television broadcast selections. Wherever you are in the world, when you can’t be there, be there with iFollow.

I don't know if "wherever you are in the world" actually means what it implies or not, or whether this is because I'm outside of the UK.

2 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

Just received this email from iFollow:

I don't know if "wherever you are in the world" actually means what it implies or not, or whether this is because I'm outside of the UK.

Assume it just means they have reached an agreement with Sky/ other broadcasters to show games that are selected for TV.

Edited by TomtheOwl95

Just now, TomtheOwl95 said:

Assume it just means they have reached an agreement with Sky/ other broadcasters to show games that are selected for TV.

But... even inside the UK? I expect this is just poor wording on their part, or we'd have heard a lot more about it.

1 minute ago, dr. benway said:

But... even inside the UK? I expect this is just poor wording on their part, or we'd have heard a lot more about it.

I'd imagine so.

In my experience of dealing with ifollow's customer service their is definitely a language barrier.

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

Streaming would equate to a loss of matchday income. Do not implement streaming, lower the matchday ticket prices instead; £20 max for an adult ticket for all league games; parent and children deals; etc

In my view, it would all depend on the cost differential between streaming the game or physically attending.  If for example, we dropped the matchday pricing to say £20 but the stream per game was £12.50, I'm not convinced it would have that much of an impact on attendance.  I'm basing this on absolutely nothing by the way.    

• Like 1

Football needs to catch up with the streaming side of things. Everything is going this way anyhow.

Id welcome categorised games and prices and I’d probably pay it too.

£10/£15/£20

Id pay match day ticket prices to watch Wednesday v United from the comfort of my living room 

Sky Sports charge pubs a lot more to show sports, live streamed games could do something similar. 

People pay £25 for boxing (me included) over dodgy steams as it’s guaranteed to be uninterrupted by buffering and adverts. 

It would probably effect attendances slightly but would provide another revenue stream for each club.

The long away day, Tuesday night matches with very limited ticket a availability would become more profitable to the club.

If it’s packaged up and marketed correctly it could work very well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

It isn't just about finances, it could impact the match atmosphere and the "Twelfth man"...

I don't think it will as @CircleSevenposted anybody who really wants to stream the game can, it really is just a way of stopping all this getting around the system nonsense.

• Like 1

Football is still in the dark ages when it comes to how content is provided. Funnily enough, Ifollow is more in keeping with the modern way. 

At some point, most professional football in this country will end up on a streaming type platform (certainly the PL and probably the Championship). It is inevitable. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 3

My err friend has one of these dodgy sticks and if he can afford the match day ticket, which often he can't, but when he can he said he will go to the matches with his kids.

It's all about costs and the 2nd post on this thread said all that needed to be said.

1 minute ago, Mac_77 said:

It will be the cinemas that end up being effected by streaming, I’m very surprised they came back to normal after covid.

I think its the same as live football. Going to the cinema is a night out and totally different to watching a film at home. eg Watching a 'big' film like Lord of the Rings  is a totally different experience on the big screen. In the same way I could have watched the play off semi final at home but would not have missed going to Hillsborough for the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1