EFL could stream matches and scrap 3pm protection

Before I start - yes - I know that you can get a dodgy firestick and nudge nudge wink wink be captain edgy and stream games on dodgy streams - this thread isn’t about that.

so…

The current tv deal is up for grabs again and it’s possible that streaming could become a thing for all games including 3pm Saturday matches

This means anyone anywhere could buy a match pass to stream the matches live anytime - even fans sat in their homes in Sheffield could stream every Saturday 3pm kickoff match if they choose to

The chairman of Tranmere Rovers believes it could irreparably damage attendances though as some people would choose to switch to staying home and watching on TV’s etc

Currently attendances are strong in the lower leagues (countries abroad who have streaming for all games can’t believe the attendances we get In the lower divisions)

What do you think?

Would it impact attendances at games if people had the option to watch on TV?

Surely on those bitterly cold winter days when matches are on it could be a tempting option (especially if you live a few hours away in the UK)

Is this the right time to look at things with the cost of living crisis pushing living costs through the roof and putting all entertainment (not just football) down the list of priorities?

A family paying to watch a stream would save thousands of pounds over a year by all sitting and watching streams on their big TV together 

Friends could gather round a big TV with food and even beers to watch matches instead of all heading down to Hillsborough

It offers more choice but would more people be put off going to the game or would it get more people (especially younger fans) into Sheffield Wednesday?

Streaming is available for most other sports now. Streaming is a thing but would it damage the game long term or improve it?

For matches that are streamed live the club would get income from it 

Should streaming be a new, modern option for football fans in this day and age?

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

would it get more people (especially younger fans) into Sheffield Wednesday?

Never thought of this …. I’d say no. 

Wednesday are so unsuccessful that the only thing that probably cements kids being a fan for life is initially being taken to Hillsborough… leave it up to streaming and they might choose another team (a more dominant one)

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Clubs should only be allowed to stream their away games through official site at a sign up cost. I know iFollow do this now but it’s only some midweek games I believe? That way it shouldn’t effect home attendances too much although I do realise that the said clubs home supporters when we are playing away would hack the stream but these are available anyway (illegally). 

• Like 1

Guest hirstysfags
14 minutes ago, Ian_D said:

Didn't our beloved chairman once say something like the matchday attendance revenue wasn't critical to the club's finances?

Then begged us on hands and knees to renew season tickets. Hence why I didn't bother.

15 minutes ago, Ian_D said:

Didn't our beloved chairman once say something like the matchday attendance revenue wasn't critical to the club's finances?

You've got to admit we survived a season of no fans and no government help. Full credit to DC, whatever his faults. 

• Like 2

On another thread we’re discussing replacing the West Stand. Go down this route and there’d be no point. Wednesday v Wycombe on a cold February day you’d be lucky to to get 10000. No need for safe standing areas, or 35000 capacity then.

And where would the money go ? Split 50/50 between the clubs ?

Away fixtures - yep ok

Personally, I’d love it. I don’t live locally and work most Saturdays so being able to cheekily watch on my phone whilst being paid would be perfect.

Surely the club would benefit financially?

Edited by Yellowbelly
  • Like 6

I’m not convinced lowering the price of tickets would have a huge long term impact on attendances. Whether it’s £25 or £35, other the odd blip, the die hards will go every week and the part timers (not meant in a derogatory way) would still pick and choose. Lots of other factors over cost that stop many going. 

We’ve got c18,000 that go every week. Another c7k or 8k that would go regular if we were top of the league and a further 10k on top that turn out for playoffs etc. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Streaming would equate to a loss of matchday income. Do not implement streaming, lower the matchday ticket prices instead; £20 max for an adult ticket for all league games; parent and children deals; etc

Absolutely bang on. 

• Like 1

Nothing beats being at the match. Focus on offering the best match day experience and there's no reason streaming all matches can't be a way to supplement income rather than a threat to it.

• Like 1

I live in Birmingham and had season tickets for most of the last decade once I got some disposable income. Prior to that I was going to 5-10 games a season

Then the pandemic hit and I streamed all the games on ifollow. No queue down the mostly closed M1 at night, no getting home at 1am. So much easier to stop a bad result ruining your whole weekend

Then the ground opened up again and I could go to matches but life got a bit complicated and I had other commitments and where me and my family just wrote off match days as a day when I busy now things have started to get in the way and in a very good season I made it to 2 games. I really wish I'd got to more because I miss it

Me and my family lost the habit of going to matches and long term attendances depend on it being a habit, a religion, a commitment from our fans.

I'd love to be able to stream the games I can't get to and would gladly pay the price of a ticket to watch at home for those matches but if it gets people out of the habit of going I think it becomes a problem

• Like 4

Personally speaking, I'd be happy to pay for a season ticket (at the advertised price) and have the option to watch at home.

There is never any substitute for going to a match, but opens up greater revenue streams, for no additional investment as it's already provided for foreign fans. 

I, for example, have a 6 hour round trip to Sheffield and back (traffic permitting), the current price of petrol makes is a very dear day out for 90 minutes. 

• Like 4

It’s inevitable it will go this way as that’s what the consumer wants, the choice of whether to watch at home or go. Realistically £10 a go for the stream is the most you can charge when you compare to other similar entertainment.

The matchday prices need to come down, otherwise the gap is too large. Going to the game is an experience and people should want to go. £20 a ticket would make it better but not sure if we’d end up with less revenue overall then.

I don’t think it would have a huge impact on attendances. A lot of computer nerds already stream it illegally. Old people or people who wouldn’t go because they live miles away could watch at home. As long as ticket prices are reasonable fans will still go to the games IMO.

Think also the onus would be on clubs to improve the match day experience. Make it more than about just the game. Offer good quality food, drink and service at decent prices. Have entertainment on, make people want to get to the ground early and meet up with mates and spend money instead of piling it all into the tills at the Rawson. It would require a big logistical and cultural change to the normal match day routine but I’m sure it could be done.