Why I'm glad Freddie Ladapo went to Ipswich Town and not Sheffield Wednesday - Alan Biggs

A fairly strong stance on our recently-rumoured Ladapo interest from Biggs, unfavourably comparing him to Smith, Windass and Berahino:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/why-im-glad-freddie-ladapo-went-to-ipswich-town-and-not-sheffield-wednesday-alan-biggs-3723617

No-one expects footballers to be angels or choir boys; nor should we. It’s a life on the edge with the narrowest ridge separating heroes from villains.

But, when the gap between success and failure is equally narrow, you can’t put a price on togetherness.

It’s way beyond the value of a single player. For me, the biggest reason why Sheffield Wednesday finally got their act together as a team and squad last season.

So I was pleased when Freddie Ladapo signed for Ipswich and not Wednesday, with whom he had been linked following a late window approach to Rotherham in January.

Michael Smith? Now you’re talking. For reasons beyond his 25 goals in the Millers’ League One promotion. If the Owls could get him, that is.

As for Ladapo, nothing against the player or person - I don’t know him - and 80 career goals, including 15 in Rotherham’s promotion, says he’s a decent striker.

But I do know Paul Warne and members of the Rotherham staff. How you can fall out with one of the game’s most tolerant man-managers, who runs his squad with mutual respect and dare I say love, is a little beyond me.

That, more than the sort of common or garden fall-out rife within the game, had the alarm bells clanging. It was an extreme measure by Warne’s standards to isolate a good player in the run-in and his gamble paid off.

If, as some suggested, it would have been good business to have traded Josh Windass to his Argentinian pursuers for £1m and sign Ladapo for nothing in his place then I can’t agree.

Windass - and yes, he needs to stay fit for longer - offers infinitely more and I hope he stays in the face of continuing interest from Atletico Telleres. He’s adaptable, a driving presence whether up front or deeper, and a goal scorer (68 in his career, a little behind Ladapo but a year younger).

Yes, he had his fall-outs too when at Wigan. Yes, Saido Berahino was no trouble at Hillsborough last season even if he largely failed to deliver.

And yes, all managers, not least another likeable guy in Darren Moore, fancy themselves as redeemers, the one to unlock the magic of the mavericks.

But the big thing here is that Moore personally knew Berahino, whereas Ladapo would have been a far riskier shot in the dark.

Berahino was prepared to adapt to Wednesday’s demands, to accept being benched, whereas some of the feedback from Rotherham suggested Ladapo not only expected to start but resented being substituted.

Again, it’s up to him at 29 to reform and nobody is actually saying he can’t.

Also, it’s right that Owls owner Dejphon Chansiri is much more open to considering bids. There will be a figure that would tip the balance on Windass.

But in this instance I think Wednesday have dodged a bullet that had far more than £1m riding on it.

One part I definitely agree on is when he says: "when the gap between success and failure is equally narrow, you can’t put a price on togetherness".

There are countless examples of teams who became greater than the sum of their parts thanks to that intangible 'togetherness', and an equally large number of talented squads who underperformed due to a lack of team spirit.

From the outside looking in, we certainly looked a more cohesive and 'together' unit last season, which was great to see.

No doubt Moore will want to build on that going forward, and I can't imagine he'd do anything which he felt might disrupt that side of things.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

A fairly strong stance on our recently-rumoured Ladapo interest from Biggs, unfavourably comparing him to Smith, Windass and Berahino:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/why-im-glad-freddie-ladapo-went-to-ipswich-town-and-not-sheffield-wednesday-alan-biggs-3723617

No-one expects footballers to be angels or choir boys; nor should we. It’s a life on the edge with the narrowest ridge separating heroes from villains.

But, when the gap between success and failure is equally narrow, you can’t put a price on togetherness.

It’s way beyond the value of a single player. For me, the biggest reason why Sheffield Wednesday finally got their act together as a team and squad last season.

So I was pleased when Freddie Ladapo signed for Ipswich and not Wednesday, with whom he had been linked following a late window approach to Rotherham in January.

Michael Smith? Now you’re talking. For reasons beyond his 25 goals in the Millers’ League One promotion. If the Owls could get him, that is.

As for Ladapo, nothing against the player or person - I don’t know him - and 80 career goals, including 15 in Rotherham’s promotion, says he’s a decent striker.

But I do know Paul Warne and members of the Rotherham staff. How you can fall out with one of the game’s most tolerant man-managers, who runs his squad with mutual respect and dare I say love, is a little beyond me.

That, more than the sort of common or garden fall-out rife within the game, had the alarm bells clanging. It was an extreme measure by Warne’s standards to isolate a good player in the run-in and his gamble paid off.

If, as some suggested, it would have been good business to have traded Josh Windass to his Argentinian pursuers for £1m and sign Ladapo for nothing in his place then I can’t agree.

Windass - and yes, he needs to stay fit for longer - offers infinitely more and I hope he stays in the face of continuing interest from Atletico Telleres. He’s adaptable, a driving presence whether up front or deeper, and a goal scorer (68 in his career, a little behind Ladapo but a year younger).

Yes, he had his fall-outs too when at Wigan. Yes, Saido Berahino was no trouble at Hillsborough last season even if he largely failed to deliver.

And yes, all managers, not least another likeable guy in Darren Moore, fancy themselves as redeemers, the one to unlock the magic of the mavericks.

But the big thing here is that Moore personally knew Berahino, whereas Ladapo would have been a far riskier shot in the dark.

Berahino was prepared to adapt to Wednesday’s demands, to accept being benched, whereas some of the feedback from Rotherham suggested Ladapo not only expected to start but resented being substituted.

Again, it’s up to him at 29 to reform and nobody is actually saying he can’t.

Also, it’s right that Owls owner Dejphon Chansiri is much more open to considering bids. There will be a figure that would tip the balance on Windass.

But in this instance I think Wednesday have dodged a bullet that had far more than £1m riding on it.

Yep, we really dodged a bullet there.

Agree with team work thing, TEAMS win games and trophys, not individuals.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Yep, we really dodged a bullet there.

Agree with team work thing, TEAMS win games and trophys, not individuals.

Yep. Moore's recent comments on this bode well for next season, too:

"There is no better way of meeting a player than when you look into your eyes and you see their passion. That's what we want at Sheffield Wednesday. We want real passionate players who want to play for the club and drive it forward.

"It is something we have brought back this season in terms of that drive and commitment with the players and every time that you put on a Wednesday shirt that it really means something and that certainly won't depart from the current squad for the next campaign."

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, camffiti said:

TLDR? ... 

"Sh*t Anyway"   post-445-0-99586200-1403613767_thumb.png

It's like your entire Owlstalk career has been building up to this moment.

I'm so glad I could tee this up for you.

It's just a shame there's no mention of Uri Geller in there for the full house.

:duntmatter:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's like your entire Owlstalk career has been building up to this moment.

I'm so glad I could tee this up for you.

It's just a shame there's no mention of Uri Geller in there for the full house.

:duntmatter:

post-445-0-01709500-1328982834_thumb.png

• Haha 2

I would imagine Biggs has Paul Warne's blessing for that article. 

I said as soon as rumours started about Ladapo that he would be a mistake due to his reputation for being disruptive. The stories were certainly rife down here at Plymouth where he is not well thought of by the supporters - and that’s putting it mildly. 

A decent player but he’s nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Be interesting to hear how long it takes for similar stories to start coming out at Ipswich. 

I feel confident that Darren Moore will sign somebody much better than him in terms of playing ability but also with good character and a team player. 

If he had have signed, I would still have expected a gushing article about how he is glad he has signed, that Moore would be the one to get the best out of Ladapo and what a coup it was for SWFC.

Bit of a nothing article, nothing against Biggs, I suppose in a year or two we will know how a good a signing Lapado was for Ipswich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

When ever I read Biggs on Wednesday I always seem feel an undercurrent of bitterness towards us.  Always a twist of the knife.

Just thought I'd put it out there.

I get it too.

• Like 1

Players' attitude and how they behave in the dressing room, in training and on the pitch is an aspect that people outside of the club rarely know.

Having said that, we have signed some basket cases in the past who have come to Wednesday with a reputation and been managed well by a good manager (e.g. Jack Charlton and how he got the best out of many "journeyman" players) or players who have left Wednesday with a reputation (obvious one is Paulo di Canio) but been managed well elsewhere.

Well, I know him. Via the daughter and her mate. He's a bag of shîte when it comes to young ladies (not alone in that in the footballing world sadly). He's just managed to score at home and gotten his girlfriend pregnant. Congratulations. How did he celebrate? By flying off to Marbella last weekend with his pals. All of them dressed in 'Man Down' and 'Fall of The King' T-Shirts - a reference to his girlfriends pregnancy.

There was no chance of him signing here, thank god. Was always going to be a southern team. 

• Like 1