Qatar - if we really believe in everything we claim to, shouldn't we all agree we're not watching this?

On 12/06/2022 at 11:39, Waddle93 said:

I'll watch it as I reckon vast majority and more will.

Problem I think is this will be the most viewed world cup ever so FIFA will say they where right all along.

Why will it be? 

• Like 1

Does anyone know how fixtures are being scheduled during the World Cup?

Are they going to avoid our League One and League Two games, or are those being moved to accommodate the World Cup?

If there's a clash, I can definitely see viewing figures taking a hit - most fans would put club before country, I'd imagine.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Does anyone know how fixtures are being scheduled during the World Cup?

Are they going to avoid our League One and League Two games, or are those being moved to accommodate the World Cup?

If there's a clash, I can definitely see viewing figures taking a hit - most fans would put club before country, I'd imagine.

FIFA won't even know we exist, let alone care, if that's what you mean. If you mean our fixtures moved that would interfere with match preparation. I will be watching Wednesday not this disgraceful farce of a World Cup.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

FIFA won't even know we exist, let alone care, if that's what you mean. If you mean our fixtures moved that would interfere with match preparation. I will be watching Wednesday not this disgraceful farce of a World Cup.

That's what I assumed, but I'd not read anything about it anywhere.

In which case, the viewing figures will surely be down on Saturday afternoons and midweek evenings in the UK, as fans will all be following their own clubs, won't they?

Still having Wednesday games on through the winter months is one of the few perks of missing out on promotion last season, as far as I'm concerned.

On 11/06/2022 at 22:32, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness if fans were to take a moral stand on such occasions, nobody would’ve watched the last World Cup after Russias annexation of Crimea.

The F.A. should have boycotted Russia, we shouldn't have sent a team to play in Putin's vanity project.

It was just weeks after the Russian government sent it's agents onto our soil to murder people, killing a British citizen. But no not a peep from the Government/F.A.

• Like 3

Also, look at some of the other results in this league. 

France are also bottom of their group with 2 points from 4 games. 

It's very poor, and Southgate needs to learn from this, but it's not pitchforks and flaming torches time just yet I don't think.  

• Like 1

On 11/06/2022 at 21:22, Kopparberg said:

The treatment of gay people in World Cup host Qatar has been described as "absolutely unacceptable" by German football official Oliver Bierhoff.

Mr Bierhoff told German newspapers he was unhappy that homosexuality was still illegal in the Gulf state.

Fifa has said all LGBTQ+ symbols will be allowed in stadiums during the event. 

But Qatari authorities have appealed for outsiders to respect their "conservative" culture.

Are they going to arrest everyone who breaks any of their barbaric rules??

It could be absolute mayhem. 

Hope they have big prisons.

3 hours ago, trev said:

Are they going to arrest everyone who breaks any of their barbaric rules??

It could be absolute mayhem. 

Hope they have big prisons.

I suspect that for the duration of the World Cup, while the eyes of the world are on them, they'll simply look the other way for petty offences.

• Like 2

Irish Premiership champions Linfield have beaten World Cup hosts Qatar 1-0 in a practice match in Marbella.

A teamsheet posted by the club showed that seven players who started for Qatar on Tuesday evening also played in their 0-0 friendly international draw with Slovenia in March.

On 16/06/2022 at 13:36, HIGHERSTATE said:

Everyone seemed to love the Russian world cup.

What kind of people run that fkin country.

You are right of course, it was bought and paid for by Putin. I love how all the computers they used were destroyed after the bidding process. 

However, Qatar is another couple of levels higher on the corruption scale. Same bigoted laws and attitudes, same corruption, but add in a country - or basically a city as Doha is Qatar - that is a totally inappropriate and illogical place for a football tournament to take place. 

Playing it in November /December is the thing that's going to kill it. Russia in the summer was always going to be very hard to resist.

With Qatar, we are going to be settled into the domestic season, SWFC will still be playing , peoples thoughts are turning towards Christmas.

As I've said earlier, I doubt that the coverage from the TV Channels is going to be as exuberant as usual for a tournament. I think the bear minimum will happen for the BBC in particular, coverage starting 15 mins before kick off, no tourism pieces, just pure business. They know this is a very controversial occasion and won't want to be seen as enjoying it too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1