Qatar - if we really believe in everything we claim to, shouldn't we all agree we're not watching this?

It was the same with Russia in 2018. Shouldn’t have watched that either but football has such a draw over the public that FIFA know most of the general public will “forget about” the issues and watch it regardless.

Human nature. I’m not saying it’s right but that’s the way of the world unfortunately,

8 minutes ago, BowOwl said:

All it takes is a single question from a reporter to Southgate -
"Currently you all make a statement before every game about racism, let alone other statements about inclusive women's football & equal pay. Why are you taking part and supporting an event hosted by a country that clearly supports racism, homophobia, slavery and sexism?"

he will just say he doesn’t want to comment on the politics of it all 

• Like 2

It would be brilliant if all the bigger nations stay home. Even better if all nations stayed home.

But we know football has no morals so it will go ahead as normal and be hyped up. 

BBC will send hundreds of reporters like they always do and brush over the whole thing. 

And then it will all roll on to the next circus in 4 years, or 2 depending on kick backs getting ever bigger and watering down the quality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

football has no morals

Exactly

Once Qatar was ‘selected’ in the first place everything was fizzed. 

It’s like we’ve allowed a pinnacle of greed and corruption and zero morals to reign… what a poo show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANDY said:

he will just say he doesn’t want to comment on the politics of it all 

He's the only one who can't say that, as he's brought politics into football more than anyone currently in the game.

Which is why he'll never get asked.

• Like 1

I am sure Gareth Southgate and the FA will be having meetings to discuss how to handle the inevitable questions about Qatar human right records when it comes up

But I get the feeling it will all come across as they are more motivated by image and making sure they is less disruption to the teams preparation rather than any genuine concern.

If they don't make a proper stand in someway even going as far as refusing to play in Qatar than the whole issue of taking the knee, rainbow laces and support for women's football will come across as insincere and opportunistic.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am sure Gareth Southgate and the FA will be having meetings to discuss how to handle the inevitable questions about Qatar human right records when it comes up

But I get the feeling it will all come across as they are more motivated by image and making sure they is less disruption to the teams preparation rather than any genuine concern.

If they don't make a proper stand in someway even going as far as refusing to play in Qatar than the whole issue of taking the knee, rainbow laces and support for women's football will come across as insincere and opportunistic.

The question will never be asked.

Journalists need access which will be denied to anyone likely to ask.

It will be like the F1 Abu Dhabi safety car incident last season, they all just never mention it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

The question will never be asked.

Journalists need access which will be denied to anyone likely to ask.

It will be like the F1 Abu Dhabi safety car incident last season, they all just never mention it.

Think it would be very bad PR if the question never gets asked.

I think it might be like the 2008 Beijing Olympics when the explanations were 'We hope our presence here we give publicity to the human right abuses'