Derby takeover expected to collapse

4 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

“Could easily be in this position”. We were in this position. I’ve got vivid memories of watching a clock tick down thinking our club was about to die on the steps of the high court in an hours time. I don’t recall swathes of public support for us.

We don’t have a pot to ******** in now, really, as we enter our 22nd season since relegation from the top flight and our sixth in the third tier within the same timeframe. Nobody else cares. Specific to Derby, look at the song and dance made of Wayne Rooney’s Derby County staying up at our expense a year ago, and the difference in coverage when they dropped this year anyway.

A lot of the “support within the football community” for other clubs is absolute tripe. Most fans don’t care until it’s their own club. I wouldn’t expect the modern game to come rallying to our survival and I’m not going to engage in a load of fluff particularly hoping Derby get out of it. 

The thing with all ordinary football folk is they just want to watch their team. The good news is, if they want to, they can do that at Step 10. I know a couple of lads who support phoenix clubs who have been loving it. Best of luck to them, but they’re not entitled to do that in League One while their shambles of a club is somehow kept alive by the charity of the league or an administrator. 

Our situation in 2010 is nothing like the situation Derby have been in for the past year. It was bad, but we didn’t go into administration, we didn’t have 5 players in contract, we didn’t have to sell a class of very good academy players for peanuts. 

It will be sad if Derby go under. I don’t wish that on any football fan mate. The terrible management of that club is nothing to do with the fans and we should have sympathy for them. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Nailed on, I said this in another thread.

Wigan, Blackpool and Coventry are just a few clubs off the top of my head where fans in defence of Chancer have said, it could be worse we could be them and are now all in the division above us.

I’ve no doubt Derby will be added to this list in the next few years as well.

Many of us started saying that we should look at what barnsley do but that has its downsides also. Coventry, Blackpool and Luton could just as easily struggle again.  I think having someone able to invest sums of money will always be helpful and seemingly very hard to find now. We just need DC to get the mode of operation right which I think has been changing for some time now. 

14 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Our situation in 2010 is nothing like the situation Derby have been in for the past year. It was bad, but we didn’t go into administration, we didn’t have 5 players in contract, we didn’t have to sell a class of very good academy players for peanuts. 

It will be sad if Derby go under. I don’t wish that on any football fan mate. The terrible management of that club is nothing to do with the fans and we should have sympathy for them. 

I think that was one of the many situations in the 2000’s where I think we might well have come out of it better if we HAD gone into administration. Selling academy players and only having 5 pro’s.. we weren’t much better off than that last summer. We were 2 weeks off from starting the season with a kids team + Bannan.

My sadness around this is for the game of football and what the modern game has left us with. I’m sad about that. I’m sad that proud clubs like us are left to rot. I’m sad that proud clubs like Macclesfield and Bury get worse than that. I think the modern game stinks and this is a terrible and extremely negative side product of that. But I’m not going to pretend my heart bleeds specifically for Derby fans. A group of supporters who at best might hide total indifference behind totally empty online platitudes, and at worst might actively goad us about it. 

• Like 1

Sorry, just to add; I’ll hold my hands up that this likely makes me sound like an extremely bitter, petulant a*se. Fully accept that.

I’m just tired of the show football and football fans make of certain things. Derby already have the benefit of the size of their club, the exposure that brings, the Wayne Rooney factor (which is a joke). They don’t need the football community’s patronising, false and fake good will or best wishes. That same energy wasn’t there to save Bury or Macc Town. Oldham’s plight has just been social media fodder. You can go on and on and on and on..

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Sorry, just to add; I’ll hold my hands up that this likely makes me sound like an extremely bitter, petulant a*se. Fully accept that.

I’m just tired of the show football and football fans make of certain things. Derby already have the benefit of the size of their club, the exposure that brings, the Wayne Rooney factor (which is a joke). They don’t need the football community’s patronising, false and fake good will or best wishes. That same energy wasn’t there to save Bury or Macc Town. Oldham’s plight has just been social media fodder. You can go on and on and on and on..

I’m not really thinking about it that deeply. I’m not arsed about the social media reaction. I was gutted for Bury and Macclesfield fans, and I will be for Derby fans if it happens to them.

I just try to imagine if it was Wednesday in that position. Peoples lives revolve around their football club and losing that is devastating no matter who the club are. 

Listening to Wednesday matches on a Saturday is what keeps my Grandad going. There will be elderly Derby fans like him, who face the prospect of losing their club. 

• Like 3

Like a previous poster, I'll sound bitter, but the media (and, I think EFL) were delighted when Wayne Rooney s Derby sent us down last year with players signed with money they hadn't got. They've been under investigation since January 2020, now the EFL are going to extraordinary lengths to help them. They'll survive, beat us twice with their customary dodgy decisions and their horrible fans will laugh at us.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Honestly how would you feel if other fans said about Wednesday? We could easily be in this position one day. 

Yeah some Derby fans are rubbish, but some are just ordinary football folk who love watching their club like you and I.

I sincerely hope they don’t go under and find a buyer. They’re a good club Derby, fans don’t deserve all this. 

Absolutely. Derby are a proper traditional club. 

Ridiculous saying I hope they go bust. We were very close ourselves only a decade or so ago with those court cases. 

Hard to feel for them really

Yes, they're a decent club but they've spent well beyond their station and i'm sure at the time their fans weren't complaining

As others have said there is no way the EFL would have afforded us the time Derby have been given. We would have already gone under but because it's Wayne Rooney's Derby County the rules don't apply

Again, as others have said someone will step in and rescue them, sign good players, get promoted back to the Championship and the whole cycle starts again...

• Like 2

Hadn't read the statement until just now, seems like preferential treatment from the EFL when they say they are going to negotiate with buyers etc. At Bury the owner was refusing to sell and basically just ran them into the ground. Why didn't the EFL step in there and save them? Same with Macclesfield? 

Derby seem to be given a lot of time and a lot of chances compared to others. I'm assuming the situations are completely different which is why they're being treated differently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Absolutely. Derby are a proper traditional club. 

Ridiculous saying I hope they go bust. We were very close ourselves only a decade or so ago with those court cases. 

proper and traditional cos they’re bigger than Bury or Macclesfield ? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Hard to feel for them really

Yes, they're a decent club but they've spent well beyond their station and i'm sure at the time their fans weren't complaining

As others have said there is no way the EFL would have afforded us the time Derby have been given. We would have already gone under but because it's Wayne Rooney's Derby County the rules don't apply

Again, as others have said someone will step in and rescue them, sign good players, get promoted back to the Championship and the whole cycle starts again...

We spent well above our station under Chansiri. Could so easily have been us. Our fans weren’t complaining at the time.

See a pattern here? If it was us in their situation would you want us to go under? 

51 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We spent well above our station under Chansiri. Could so easily have been us. Our fans weren’t complaining at the time.

See a pattern here? If it was us in their situation would you want us to go under? 

Where have I said I want them to go under? I suggest you read my post again. I said it's hard to feel sorry for them

But because it's Wayne Rooney's Derby County the rules do not apply to them. Had this been a smaller Championship club like a Luton or a Blackpool the EFL would not have afforded them the same time as Derby have been given 

Stop being so defensive and read people's comments before jumping all over them

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Honestly how would you feel if other fans said about Wednesday? We could easily be in this position one day. 

Fans of other teams DID say things like this about Wednesday. The Rotherham fans will in particular will always spring to mind especially when they forgot about the bucket collections at Hillsborough when they were facing their own problems. 

Fans don’t really care about fans of other clubs, yeah we feel sorry when it’s one of the smaller clubs like Bury, but deep down we all have a list of clubs that we would like to see go under. 

We were in that position, actually we were in a lot worse. Administration wasn’t an option, we were close to going bust, no more Wednesday 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Fans of other teams DID say things like this about Wednesday. The Rotherham fans will in particular will always spring to mind especially when they forgot about the bucket collections at Hillsborough when they were facing their own problems. 

Fans don’t really care about fans of other clubs, yeah we feel sorry when it’s one of the smaller clubs like Bury, but deep down we all have a list of clubs that we would like to see go under. 

We were in that position, actually we were in a lot worse. Administration wasn’t an option, we were close to going bust, no more Wednesday 

Speak for yourself. I may have a dislike for a lot of clubs but never want to see any go under.

Wouldn’t even want to see the Blades go bust. Life too short for that. I have good mates who are Derby fans and Pigs, I know what the club means to them and wouldn’t want any genuine football fan to lose something they’ve invested their life into. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 2