West Ham and Brentford still after nicking Danny Cadamarteri

The thing is that clubs like West Ham can pay over the odds and hope that he makes it. If he doesnt then he can go on the scrap heap with the rest

For us, if we pay over the odds we need to be a sure as possible as we can that he’ll make it …and we don’t even know how he’ll play against pros yet.

2 hours ago, striker said:

I get the calls to close the academy etc and fully get that football isn't fair when it comes to EPL clubs being allowed to hoover up all the talent they want. 

However, as a community club, proud that we have a youth system and give opportunities to lads from the area and further afield. 

I also couldn't stomach surrendering those young footballers in Sheffield to the dark side, if we didn't have an academy. 

If he goes, he goes (I don't think he will BTW), not every academy player is going to make it in the first team, others contribute financially through compensation and money from sell on fees, which can be reinvested in the next generation.

I am 100% youth given a chance but not here  under our regime ,If players  from the Academy go onto play in the first team ,Local talent might sign for us because of that .

23 hours ago, Manwë said:

I disagree, it shows (would show?) that clubs like West Ham can do what others have done successfully before them and hoover up anyone who can kick a ball just in case they turn out good.

I just looked at the income of West Ham, their last income figures were over £220m for the year.   They are the third best supported club in England and spending £1m on a player that may or may not come good is small change to them.  

We probably hoovered him up from someone lower down the chain anyway. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Brentford have no ambition ,They sell their best players ,The unforgettable words from our beloved leader.

In fairness to Chansiri, the one thing we have lots of is ambition.  The further we move away from our goal, the more ambitious we are.

Getting relegated to League One made us more ambitious than ever before.  Not getting promoted maintains those high ambitions.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fpowl said:

When you say having a look, who do you mean 

I’m sure Darren Moore and his staff have seen and had the trusted reports from his coaches to be better placed to feel if cadamateri is anywhere near the first team squad 

I'll be honest, I'm not an expert on youth football developing or coaching and have never claimed to be.

But here's two things I do know to be almost indisputable fact;

1.) We are extremely poor at bringing through youth prospects or making any use of our academy

2.) We need to get significantly better at it

I understand hesitation regarding trying youth players at first team level, but other clubs do it. That lot across the City make millions from doing it after forging one of the country's best youth reputations over the best part of the last 20 years. 

Again, I'm not suggesting he plays with the first team this season. But we have one thing we can offer youth players to stay with us - a realistic pathway to the first team. He will be 18 this time next year. We either convince the player there's a pathway to first team involvement within the next 2-3 years, or he goes to an academy elsewhere and achieves that via loans to the football league. We can put all the "is he ready?" barriers up we want, but ultimately that's where everybody stands. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Brentford have no ambition ,They sell their best players ,The unforgettable words from our beloved leader.

To be fair our fan base can’t understand the concept either.

• Like 2

Guest Musttryharder

These Premiership clubs have it made. They wait for suckers like Wednesday to pay for the youngsters to develop and they are plucked from us. So it begs the question again, why do we persist with development/ younger squad's just so these big clubs can come and raid these players. Where's the sense. 

7 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I'll be honest, I'm not an expert on youth football developing or coaching and have never claimed to be.

But here's two things I do know to be almost indisputable fact;

1.) We are extremely poor at bringing through youth prospects or making any use of our academy

2.) We need to get significantly better at it

I understand hesitation regarding trying youth players at first team level, but other clubs do it. That lot across the City make millions from doing it after forging one of the country's best youth reputations over the best part of the last 20 years. 

Again, I'm not suggesting he plays with the first team this season. But we have one thing we can offer youth players to stay with us - a realistic pathway to the first team. He will be 18 this time next year. We either convince the player there's a pathway to first team involvement within the next 2-3 years, or he goes to an academy elsewhere and achieves that via loans to the football league. We can put all the "is he ready?" barriers up we want, but ultimately that's where everybody stands. 

I can’t disagree with much of that what I would say 

is them lot across the city unfortunately are better than Us at attracting and developing youth they have been for years 

god knows why better facilities, better scouting, better coaching maybe a combination of them all 

but even if we are terrible at bringing them into the first ( I don’t think that’s the problem) we’ve had loads play for the first team recently probably about 10 youth players plus over the last 4/5 seasons 

but how many have been ready? 
how many have been good enough 

and tragically those that have been good enough how many have we kept hold of? 

the pathway to first team football is there. If they are good enough but can players like George Hirst realistically get in ahead of Joao, hooper , Forestieri, Rhodes etc. No he wasn’t good enough he needed to sign a contract then he was going out on loan to further his development 

uroghide, and shaw both came through and we ballsed that up. Decent ages and fitted in 

hunts had a few appearances but looked like weight so along with many this year has gone out on loan 

Brennan- I actually think if we were more stable he would have featured more but it needed experience in there with the crisis we was having at the back

I don’t think it’s a case of we can’t bring them through I think it’s a case of they arnt good enough, ready or we can’t keep them

what’s George Hirst 23 now it’s taken him until now to have a half decent season you couldn’t throw him in at 17/18 ( we did ) and Expect him to perform it was like a boy playing a mans game hence why we have a development squad and can loan players out to toughen up when they are ready 

the other point id make is who’s playing above our level that’s come through our academy even at an older age Vardy you can argue but he was released

uroghide and shaw don’t play

I’m sure there is some but we just don’t develop good players and so many suggest throwing babies in the first team 

even if these wasn’t given a chance you’d expect them to go and start playing and shoot up the leagues if they were good enough 

10 hours ago, Musttryharder said:

These Premiership clubs have it made. They wait for suckers like Wednesday to pay for the youngsters to develop and they are plucked from us. So it begs the question again, why do we persist with development/ younger squad's just so these big clubs can come and raid these players. Where's the sense. 

When exactly has one of our youngsters who we developed being plucked from us by a premiership club? You can argue Hirst is one, that’s it. I literally can’t think of anymore in the last twenty years. They have their own youngsters they’re not interested in our crap.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2022 at 09:18, Fablon Dunlop said:

A lot to weigh up, I'm sure. 

Chances are that he could be looking at first team football here next season. Is he likely to get that at West Ham or Brentford? Very likely not. 

Money talks, though 😐

If Brentford are interested then he must be a real prospect. Their scouting has proved exceptional over the past seasons.

Is this lad the son of, you know, Danny Cadamarteri? Or a total coincidence, as the ex Everton striker never played in Sheffield.

1 minute ago, swfc-dan said:

If Brentford are interested then he must be a real prospect. Their scouting has proved exceptional over the past seasons.

Is this lad the son of, you know, Danny Cadamarteri? Or a total coincidence, as the ex Everton striker never played in Sheffield.

Son 

Guest Musttryharder
17 hours ago, 83owl said:

When exactly has one of our youngsters who we developed being plucked from us by a premiership club? You can argue Hirst is one, that’s it. I literally can’t think of anymore in the last twenty years. They have their own youngsters they’re not interested in our crap.

Where did I say they the premiership took ALL our players. They take everyone lses too. Anyway, Cadermadri  signed for us so its irrelevant. Would you say both Cadermadri and Hirst are crap. To be honest I dont think you can even put the two lads who went to Celtic (Scottish Premiership) were crap. Not brilliant but not crap. Why are we always putting our players down all the time just because they have signed for someone else. 

8 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

He played for United.