Lee Gregory

Guest Musttryharder
On 03/06/2022 at 10:09, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

He’s a good League One striker that’s not quite cut it in The Championship.

Lets not overplay it in our typical fashion.

He has a year left on his contract and he’s 34 at the start of this season. No need to offer him a longer contract.

The harsh reality is that at the start of the season after he’ll be 35. If he decides to leave he’d be very easily replaced regardless of our division.

Just out of interest, if he is that easy to replace who would be the likely candidates who would come to Wednesday with a better goal /games ratio. Have we already got someone lined up on the off chance he leaves. Don't you think it would be better business to keep him this season and try and sign someone who would be the natural replacement or get shut and hope that we get someone in to replace him. The latter being on dodgy ground don't you think. 

13 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

is he available?? How much will he cost?? 

also Gregory scored more league goals in less appearances…not saying Gregory is better or vice versa but looking at stats I would say an “easy replacement” isn’t that easy to get to be honest. 

jayden stockley guarantees goals, he will score  20+ in our set up but the huge advantage is he will be a huge influence at the back from set pieces, he is so strong in the air and a huge part of the team missing.

absolute top signing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nile said:

jayden stockley guarantees goals, he will score  20+ in our set up but the huge advantage is he will be a huge influence at the back from set pieces, he is so strong in the air and a huge part of the team missing.

absolute top signing

he’s scored 20 twice in career…I’m not saying he won’t score goals but looking at his record I don’t see how he guarantees us 20 goals 

7 hours ago, nile said:

absolute top signing

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

he’s scored 20 twice in career…I’m not saying he won’t score goals but looking at his record I don’t see how he guarantees us 20 goals 

This 20 goal thing confuses me.

Stockley scores but doesn’t stay fit. Yes, he’d score 20 if he played 40 games, but he doesn’t.

Gregory would have scored 20 had he not missed 1/3 of the season, but he did.

Berahino would have scored 20 had he played all season, but he came to us unfit.

Smith did score 20. Why - because he stays fit all season and played double the match time of the others:-

It is about ability, but it’s also about fitness. 

• Like 3

Guest Musttryharder
20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Stockley scores but doesn’t stay fit. Yes, he’d score 20 if he played 40 games, but he doesn’t.

Berahino would have scored 20 had he played all season, but he came to us unfit.

Smith did score 20. Why - because he stays fit all season and played double the match time of the others:-

I think your last line says it all. We had good players with good ability on the treatment bench. You can have all the ability in the world , no good if you can't use it. If we could only just find that formula for keepining the good players fit, this league would be a doddle.

1 hour ago, Musttryharder said:

I think your last line says it all. We had good players with good ability on the treatment bench. You can have all the ability in the world , no good if you can't use it. If we could only just find that formula for keepining the good players fit, this league would be a doddle.

You can never guarantee, but you can apply logic to recruitment.

Take Stockley v Smith purely as an example. Similar cost, similar goals per game, but one plays 25 games per season and the other plays 50. 

Id like to think this plays a part in our recruitment. 

• Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Take Stockley v Smith purely as an example. Similar cost, similar goals per game, but one plays 25 games per season and the other plays 50. 

You would like to think so. 

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

So who would you buy ?  

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So who would you buy ?  

If it was a choice between Stockley and Smith it would be an easy decision - Smith.

I think we’ve spread our limited money too thinly this last 7 years. We had 7 strikers, then 7 wingers, then 7 CBs. We should have focussed our funds on fewer, better, healthier players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

If it was a choice between Stockley and Smith it would be an easy decision - Smith.

I think we’ve spread our limited money too thinly this last 7 years. We had 7 strikers, then 7 wingers, then 7 CBs. We should have focussed our funds on fewer, better, healthier players.

I prefer the same number of players but be better, "healthier players".  I do believe five, six forwards is the way to go.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

totally agree but the other chap is saying stockley is an upgrade on Gregory…the only upgrade is the age side of it!! Stockley is obviously younger. I don’t see how he would guarantee us 20 goals. He’s done it twice in 9/10 seasons. 

• Like 1

We need to go after the Chesterfield striker Tshimanga before someone else gets him. 

He has the strength, pace and a natural finishing ability and would suit Moores style of play and would be a perfect partner for Gregory.

400/500k will get him. 

29 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I prefer the same number of players but be better, "healthier players".  I do believe five, six forwards is the way to go.

But you can’t.

Healthy good players are expensive.

Unfit good players are cheap.

Poor healthy players are cheap.

Thats why we should reduce the numbers we acquire and go for quality rather than quantity.

For example, was it a good use of our funds to have all those so-so wingers sat in the stands for our first 12 games? Or 4 or 5 strikers sat in the stands in the Carlos era?

We have really good cover players like Palmer and Paterson who can cover for injury. 

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

But you can’t.

Healthy good players are expensive.

Unfit good players are cheap.

Poor healthy players are cheap.

Thats why we should reduce the numbers we acquire and go for quality rather than quantity.

For example, was it a good use of our funds to have all those so-so wingers sat in the stands for our first 12 games? Or 4 or 5 strikers sat in the stands in the Carlos era?

We have really good cover players like Palmer and Paterson who can cover for injury. 

A few bad injuries tears up your plans.  We should be aiming for better than Palmer and Paterson even for cover.  If that's you're master plan then we are scuppered.

We need the same size squad at least as last season decent strikers, I agree there should be a more even keel for the number of players in each position, but you real can't have to many good strikers.

You could make a strong argument that last season we failed because we didn't have enough quality to cover for injuries.

20 hours ago, Musttryharder said:

Just out of interest, if he is that easy to replace who would be the likely candidates who would come to Wednesday with a better goal /games ratio. Have we already got someone lined up on the off chance he leaves. Don't you think it would be better business to keep him this season and try and sign someone who would be the natural replacement or get shut and hope that we get someone in to replace him. The latter being on dodgy ground don't you think. 

I am not saying we should get rid of him for the tenth time!

He has a year left on his contract!

On 04/06/2022 at 11:56, ZicoSterland2 said:

Doubt very much that 15 goals + strikers are easy to replace at any level. Would think adding a further year deal would suit both parties. Has got that extra bit of class at league 1 level and hopefully would be a decent backup for a last year in the championship. 

“… a last year in the championship” ????

Not sure it’s wise to give (even) him a 5 year deal ?!?!?!

😉