Away Grounds You've Seen Wednesday Play That No Longer Exist?

Seen Wednesday at

Highbury

Baseball Ground

Highfield Road

Filbert Street 

Ayresome Park

Boothferry Park

The Den

Upton Park

Millmoor (does this count?)

Maine Road

Saltergate

Belle Vue

White Hart Lane

Burnden Park

The Dell

Ninian Park

Griffin Park 

Nene Park (Rushden and Diamonds)

Also been to Molyineux and the Hawthorns before they were rebuilt.

On 04/06/2022 at 01:43, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Sunderland (Roker)

Darlington (Feethams) 

Boro (Ayresome Park) 

York City (Bootham Crescent)

Hull City (K Com)

Man City (Maine Road)

Scunthorpe (Glanford Park)

Rotherham (Millmoor)

Doncaster (Belvue) 

Chesterfield (Saltergate)

Stoke City (Victoria Ground)

Leicester (King Power) 

Shrewsbury (Gay Meadow)

Reading (Madejski Stadium)

MK Dons (The ground with the concrete Cow)

Millwall (New Den) 

Oxford (Manor Ground)

Swansea (Liberty)

Arsenal (Highbury)

West Ham (Upton Park)

Wembley (old one)

Wimbledon (Plough Lane)

Southampton (The Dell) 

Brighton (Goldstone Ground)

Certainly Ninnian Park.

Probably Chester. 

Think That's it !

Saw Wednesday play Brighton at Withdean Stadium twice - it was principally an athletics track. It was definitely one of the worst grounds on the circuit then - it was only ever going to be a temporary home for Brighton, but it just wasn’t really geared up for football matches and crowds. I think ground capacity was around 7,000.

Also saw Wednesday play Brighton at The Goldstone Ground plus The Amex ( current ground )

Cant immediately think of any other club where I’ve seen Wednesday play against them at three different away venues over the years.

9 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Saw Wednesday play Brighton at Withdean Stadium twice - it was principally an athletics track. It was definitely one of the worst grounds on the circuit then - it was only ever going to be a temporary home for Brighton, but it just wasn’t really geared up for football matches and crowds. I think ground capacity was around 7,000.

Also saw Wednesday play Brighton at The Goldstone Ground plus The Amex ( current ground )

Cant immediately think of any other club where I’ve seen Wednesday play against them at three different away venues over the years.

I've seen us play Charlton at the Old Valley, Selhurst Park and the New Valley - they did play at Upton Park for a year or so but we were in a higher division.

14 hours ago, torryowl said:

must be a london thing having 2 names for the ground as west ham was the boleyn ground but everyone called it  upton park.  the arsenal stadium  was always better  known as highbury .QPR  's loftus road turned into south africa road  and the empire stadium became wembley ........ 

The difference is that pretty much everybody called the Boleyn Ground "Upton Park', Arsenal Stadium "Highbury" and the Empire Stadium "Wembley". I'd literally never heard anybody call the Old Den "Cold Blow Lane" before (or Loftus Road "South Africa Road" either, for that matter), and I've lived either very close to or within London my whole life. I'll ask our office cleaner about it: he's been a Millwall season ticket holder since he was a kid and he's in his 70s now.

14 hours ago, Sir Says said:

Seen Wednesday at

Highbury

Baseball Ground

Highfield Road

Filbert Street 

Ayresome Park

Boothferry Park

The Den

Upton Park

Millmoor (does this count?)

Maine Road

Saltergate

Belle Vue

White Hart Lane

Burnden Park

The Dell

Ninian Park

Griffin Park 

Nene Park (Rushden and Diamonds)

Also been to Molyineux and the Hawthorns before they were rebuilt.

I went to Rushden and Diamonds, I had completely forgotten about this one. 

9 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Didn't Oxfords ground get redeveloped. Seem to remember they ran out of money half way through, and one end was just a big fence.

They built a new stadium on the outskirts of Oxford in the early 2000s, but only built three sides of it. I went there a couple of times when I was at uni around 2001-2. The old Manor Ground was being knocked down at the time I was there. I think there are plans to leave the 'new' stadium already.

42 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

The difference is that pretty much everybody called the Boleyn Ground "Upton Park', Arsenal Stadium "Highbury" and the Empire Stadium "Wembley". I'd literally never heard anybody call the Old Den "Cold Blow Lane" before (or Loftus Road "South Africa Road" either, for that matter), and I've lived either very close to or within London my whole life. I'll ask our office cleaner about it: he's been a Millwall season ticket holder since he was a kid and he's in his 70s now.

Just had a conversation with our cleaner. He's barely missed a Millwall home game since 1954 and he says he's never heard anyone referring to the Old Den as Cold Blow Lane before. His dad was a QPR fan and he said he's never heard anyone calling Loftus Road "South Africa Road" either, so it's weird that this has come up.

24 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

They built a new stadium on the outskirts of Oxford in the early 2000s, but only built three sides of it. I went there a couple of times when I was at uni around 2001-2. The old Manor Ground was being knocked down at the time I was there. I think there are plans to leave the 'new' stadium already.

Same with Scunthorpe United. They already drawing up plans to move from Glanford Park which is still relatively new.🤔