Early business essential

Guest Musttryharder
3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Should be no need to gel.

Keep the 352 and we’ve already got the key players for it in place.

Hunt Byers Bannan Lungo Johnson

Gregory Paterson/Windass

That should hit the ground running. Even If we lose Luongo we could slot his replacement straight in or use Fiz/Dennis.

Up front I hope we bring in a Smith-type to play with Gregory, but the basis of the front 7 is firmly in place already.

If Hunt doesnt resign ( I assume your talking about Jack Hunt) and LLungo and Windass leaves, that puts a fairly big dent in that 5/2 formation. First and foremost, the ones we already have or had, need to either re sign or go. That gives the manager a far better idea of what he wants before the season starts. We have been stung before with the likes of Van Aken, Jones, Boyd etc.   

19 hours ago, room0035 said:

Indeed but in less than 9 weeks we go again, we have preseason training, friendlies, a new pitch, new players, old players to resign or sell, new shirts and a poo load of others things to do in just less than 9 weeks,  59 days to be precise to the first game of the season, (unless we play on the Friday.😁😁)

You forgot new floodlights. It will make a huge difference to the performances. They will be able to see the other players especially if we have a fluorescent kit. 

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Doesn’t this need addressing ??

I mean surely contracts should expire when the season finishes not bloody months after 

The whole contracts and transfer window is a mess. 

As you say contracts should expire “7 days after the clubs last competitive game is played in a season” not hard to implement in a contract.  

The PL window should close in the summer - not after the season has started and it should close a few days before the EFL loan window closes, to allow some time for EFL clubs to bring in loans from PL squads that have been finalised. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Will be every managers ambition to get his transfer business done in time for pre season training. Sadly it will never happen whist we have an open transfer window during the whole of the first month of the season proper. 

A ridiculous situation that encourages players and agents to hang around well into the season before signing contracts and thereby ensuring they’re not fully fit or blended into their new surroundings for several  weeks after that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Doesn’t this need addressing ??

I mean surely contracts should expire when the season finishes not bloody months after 

I assume there's a reason why it's the norm for players' wages to be evenly spread across twelve months rather than being higher for the months of the year they're actually playing and then stopping in May.

It's similar to the way teachers are paid the same each month of the year, even though they're on holiday all August.

I don't really know enough about the full implications of it all to know what that reason is, though!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

The whole contracts and transfer window is a mess. 

As you say contracts should expire “7 days after the clubs last competitive game is played in a season” not hard to implement in a contract.  

The PL window should close in the summer - not after the season has started and it should close a few days before the EFL loan window closes, to allow some time for EFL clubs to bring in loans from PL squads that have been finalised. 

Spot on 

1 hour ago, Musttryharder said:

If Hunt doesnt resign ( I assume your talking about Jack Hunt) and LLungo and Windass leaves, that puts a fairly big dent in that 5/2 formation. First and foremost, the ones we already have or had, need to either re sign or go. That gives the manager a far better idea of what he wants before the season starts. We have been stung before with the likes of Van Aken, Jones, Boyd etc.   

If prefer Windass to leave so we have funds for a striker. 

Is there any suggestion Hunt won’t stay?

Guest Musttryharder
7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

If prefer Windass to leave so we have funds for a striker. 

Is there any suggestion Hunt won’t stay?

I suppose it depends what the club offer Hunt to stay. I also wouldnt be too concerned if Windass was offloaded for a decent fee.

If NML luongo and hunt re sign we have the basics of decent team already

Dawson

Brennan

iorfa

palmer

hunt

byers

baz

luongo

johnson

windass

gregory

subs

nml

adenrian

fdb

pato

cadematri

galvin

hunt

clearly we are going to sign a good few but that midfield and strikers just needs fine tuning . Defence / keeper where a lot of the issues are . 

I'd prefer late business, keep our rivals second guessing at every turn.

Then, if possible, leave the gelling until a a dozen games in.  Kinda be in the slipstream of the rivals, just sitting somewhere in the middle, let the rivals burn the energy, let them run out of legs, and then at the final lap overtake them.

• Haha 2

On 02/06/2022 at 21:21, alanharper said:

I remember us making early signings and being told we were getting "the cream of the crop" when we signed Darren Purse and Tommy Miller. 

That happened when life was in black and white, nobody is around from those days

On 02/06/2022 at 11:18, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Given that the season starts on July 30th and current contracts don't expire until June 30th, I'd reign my hopes in a bit if I were you.

There's no way anybody's final squad will be in place a month before the season starts.

Can players still sign pre contract agreements though??. 

I'm sure you used to be able to sign players while still contracted, but it didn't officially come into effect till the old contract expired. 

I remember people complaining that a players heart wasn't in it becouse he'd already signed for someone else. 

On 06/06/2022 at 03:57, Manwë said:

I'd prefer late business, keep our rivals second guessing at every turn.

Then, if possible, leave the gelling until a a dozen games in.  Kinda be in the slipstream of the rivals, just sitting somewhere in the middle, let the rivals burn the energy, let them run out of legs, and then at the final lap overtake them.

Good idea. Store up as much volume as possible for later on.

Safe to say we haven’t done that as usual lol 

10 or so days till pre season and not one signing or new contract signed.

And come the first game of the season we will be deliberating on who to play out of Dawson and Wildsmith - some things really no never change.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

And come the first game of the season we will be deliberating on who to play out of Dawson and Wildsmith - some things really no never change.

Yep....business as usual

10 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

We really need a keeper, Asap

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Its clear we have been looking at players and offering new contracts.

How many rivals have signed players 10 days before an early pre season?