Early business essential

7 minutes ago, RighthOwlon said:

We did most of our business quite early on last year, so expect more of the same. Does it cost more in wages though to get them in earlier?

Not according to Alex Miller in The Star...

"Because it wasn’t until July 7 – or thereabouts – that the transfer embargo was lifted on Sheffield Wednesday and when the Darren Moore rebuild after half a squad had been released could truly begin. The news broke in the minutes before England played Denmark in the semi-final of Euro 2020...

"It was two months after the Owls’ relegation from the Championship had been confirmed at Pride Park and the rest of the Football League, save for a handful of others still performing puppy eyes on the naughty step, had been given a couple of months head start on picking up the finest bargains available.

"Wednesday – and Darren Moore – had watched targets apologise and sign elsewhere and were a long way behind the eight ball. It makes their work in building a squad many had down as the best in League One last season all the more impressive."

45 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not according to Alex Miller in The Star...

"Because it wasn’t until July 7 – or thereabouts – that the transfer embargo was lifted on Sheffield Wednesday and when the Darren Moore rebuild after half a squad had been released could truly begin. The news broke in the minutes before England played Denmark in the semi-final of Euro 2020...

"It was two months after the Owls’ relegation from the Championship had been confirmed at Pride Park and the rest of the Football League, save for a handful of others still performing puppy eyes on the naughty step, had been given a couple of months head start on picking up the finest bargains available.

"Wednesday – and Darren Moore – had watched targets apologise and sign elsewhere and were a long way behind the eight ball. It makes their work in building a squad many had down as the best in League One last season all the more impressive."

The league didn’t start last year until 7th August. Anyway, I’m sure we had a lot of players join us much earlier than that and others commenting how unusual it was for us to have business done well before deadline day. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks?! 🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, RighthOwlon said:

The league didn’t start last year until 7th August. Anyway, I’m sure we had a lot of players join us much earlier than that and others commenting how unusual it was for us to have business done well before deadline day. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks?! 🤦‍♂️

Bannan on talksport today didnt agree and said they came in too late last year and this was the cause of lots of injuries because the new players werent fit enough 

7 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Hope the club gets new players in early at least a month before the new season starts, we need the whole squad to gel in ASAP, hit the ground running and get promoted by March at least🙏

The only thing that's essential is doing the right business. Whether it comes early or late is largely immaterial.

The old maxim "act in haste repent at leisure" certainly applies.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, RighthOwlon said:

The only players we signed in July last year were Adeniran, Brown and Hunt.

The rest arrived just before the season started.

It sounds like we had plenty of interest in players who went elsewhere rather then waiting for us to sort out our issues.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

The best players aren’t going to rush  to sign up for a club. They’ll wait and see what offers they get and try and push up their wages if there are a few clubs interested.

I would imagine a number of the players we are targeting will be waiting to see if they get any offers from the Championship.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I remember us making early signings and being told we were getting "the cream of the crop" when we signed Darren Purse and Tommy Miller. 

More like the cream of the crap :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

It'll be a mental window this year.

Nobody will have their full squad before the start of the season, as ever some will wait for the best deal.

I think we can have a good core in earlyish, it's not like last year where we have to basically build a whole squad.

Think you'll see a lot of Premier League loans come in (generally not just us) after the season has started and they know who will be in their squads and who can go out.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Sooner have the right business rather than early business.  The two may not be mutually exclusive.

I think getting centre-backs in as quickly as we can is key as this is where we are the weakest in strength particularly if we stick with a back 3 which I’d be amazed if we don’t.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Last thing I want to hear in the first few months is fans saying the team need to gel, if we don't get off to a good start and fall off the pace of the top 2.

It's start strong, stay strong and finish strong as league champions next season!

Should be no need to gel.

Keep the 352 and we’ve already got the key players for it in place.

Hunt Byers Bannan Lungo Johnson

Gregory Paterson/Windass

That should hit the ground running. Even If we lose Luongo we could slot his replacement straight in or use Fiz/Dennis.

Up front I hope we bring in a Smith-type to play with Gregory, but the basis of the front 7 is firmly in place already.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim said:

I think getting centre-backs in as quickly as we can is key as this is where we are the weakest in strength particularly if we stick with a back 3 which I’d be amazed if we don’t.

Yeah, I'd say having two recognised centre-backs in place before the season starts has to be a priority.

We can use Palmer there, but no way do we want to be starting next season with Johnson or Paterson filling in at the back again.

The rest of the squad should be okay to hold its own whilst we wait for the right players if necessary.

21 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Given that the season starts on July 30th and current contracts don't expire until June 30th, I'd reign my hopes in a bit if I were you.

There's no way anybody's final squad will be in place a month before the season starts.

Doesn’t this need addressing ??

I mean surely contracts should expire when the season finishes not bloody months after 

• Like 1