Jayden Stockley

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Think he’s certainly the target man type we’ve lacked away from home. 

However can’t see us paying more than £500k that Charlton bought him for last summer. 

If smith is on a free and we have cash to buy stockley then you’d think we could make smith a solid offer with that cash and probably have money left over

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

If smith is on a free and we have cash to buy stockley then you’d think we could make smith a solid offer with that cash and probably have money left over

Yeah, my thoughts too 

I think Smith is gonna get more money here than he’ll be offered by Rotherham regardless 

22 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Good logic. I personally prefer Smith myself although both players have positives and negatives.

Smith you have to wonder if he’s coming for the right reason, has the opportunity to play Championship football but could earn more in L1, he’s 30 so would likely want a 3 year deal. However he’s an absolute grafter and he’s been key in 3 promotions from L1 for Rotherham. 

Stockley younger at 28 but would cost upwards of £500k. Not really pulled any trees up in the Championship or even the SPL whereas Smith scored 10 times in his last season for Rotherham, more than any Wednesday player managed during 20/21. 

Edited by 0114

Just watch the old goals video as u do. 
looks decent. 
something we been missing. 
fantastic header of the ball. 
good touch. 
poacher. 
can finish with either foot. 
just whether gets service in our team. We need good crossers of ball. Marv good one side. At moment not got anyone else. 
worrh a punt at right money. 

OP may tout him as scoring 20 goals this/last season, but worth pointing out that only 13 were in the league, with the other 7 being scored against U21 teams in the pizza cup and non-league outfits in the FA Cup.

£500k+ for a 28 year old 13 goal in L1 striker seems a bit much to me. He offered little in the 2 games I saw him play against us other than trying to foul people, iirc he came on as sub at Hillsborough and barely touched the ball. Was more impressed by Stockton, Smith and May. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Wonder what fee they will want after signing him for 500k and him having a good season, although he only played 33 league games. Injured? Would it be sensible of us to pay 1 million plus for a player?

Yes, seems he had a hip injury. Will fit in well with us then 🤣

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, alanharper said:

£500k+ for a 28 year old 13 goal in L1 striker seems a bit much to me.

Agree with this. He’s a decent player but if we’re spending 500k-1m I’d rather it was on someone who we have a chance of turning a good profit on in the future. The Joao deal is a great example of smart business - we made a bit of a profit on selling him to Reading and we might potentially rake in a bit more if they flog him this summer

3 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

why have you? We need some players who can get us out of the league too . I’d happily get 2/3 who were league one level only and then look to use as squad players or move them on if we get promoted 

Because if youve got the right blend to start with, you dont need to make wholesale changes, which take time to bed in and result in a relegation battle

4 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Youve got to be looking at players that can be equally effective when you move up a level and Stockley really struggled at PNE in the championship, so hopefully its just a rumour, certainly wouldnt want to pay a fee.

This is what I want.

Players that will improve us to get top two this season, whilst developing.

Then continue to develop to make us a mid table championship side first season back without too many additions.

6 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Youve got to be looking at players that can be equally effective when you move up a level and Stockley really struggled at PNE in the championship, so hopefully its just a rumour, certainly wouldnt want to pay a fee.

We need players who can get us promoted from the 1st division, worry about Championship when we get there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful

Let’s stop thinking long term and just focus on signing players to get us out of this league.

We have no divine right to get promotion and should sign the best players available to help achieve that.

Jayden Stockley is a better target man than anyone we currently have.

8 hours ago, alanharper said:

OP may tout him as scoring 20 goals this/last season, but worth pointing out that only 13 were in the league, with the other 7 being scored against U21 teams in the pizza cup and non-league outfits in the FA Cup.

£500k+ for a 28 year old 13 goal in L1 striker seems a bit much to me. He offered little in the 2 games I saw him play against us other than trying to foul people, iirc he came on as sub at Hillsborough and barely touched the ball. Was more impressed by Stockton, Smith and May. 

Sounds like McBarndoor ...

6 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Because if youve got the right blend to start with, you dont need to make wholesale changes, which take time to bed in and result in a relegation battle

Correct 

Let’s say we have 500k to spend then I’d rather spend it on someone we could potentially make a couple of million on (at least) on in the future rather than a player that ‘might’ do well for us in L1 but wouldn’t pull up any trees if we went up. That way you’re protecting the future of the club too.

5 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

We need players who can get us promoted from the 1st division, worry about Championship when we get there.

And then sit around taking up a wage that could have been used to improve the squad, and end up playing the odd league cup game and in the U23s, build to succeed long term because short term fixes always come back to bite your ass! 

My guess is smith will get a decent championship offer being on a free and coming off the season he’s had 

I also think despite being a division below we would out offer Rotherham The season Rotherham got relegated George Hirst was their biggest earner on 10k a week they  hardly had anyone above 6k in that squad 

I’m told tony Stewart is set to increase that budget though but I can’t see it being to drastic 

would smith drop down a division? Maybe for the right contact and club but unlikely but he’d be a great addition to our squad and gives us that Ariel presence weve lacked in both boxes. Plus when you take Gregory out of our front line we really are lightweight 

at only 30 I’d offer smith a nice contract 3 year deal

I can’t see us spending big at all this season maybe a few signings under the 1million mark which are more with the potential to kick and for that reason that would Rule stockley out 

I can’t imaging after that season he’s just had with a further two years on his contract charlton would entertain anything under 1.5 million more likely over 2 million