Football Finances

Can anyone explain to me how Chelsea are worth 4 billion pounds? 

I presume we're valued somewhere around the 30 million mark, but unsaleable as Chansri would want double that, at least, to consolidate his losses.

Top 6 in the Premier League must have a similar worth as Chelsea. 

What are Forest worth after promotion? A very similar club to us overall, valued at 50m before promotion maybe, double after getting back to the Prem? What are Brighton, Bournemouth worth? 

Any links / articles to read would be appreciated.

I genuinely don't get football anymore. The top few teams need to go ahead with that Superleague thing they all wanted. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Yea the prem top 4 is a done deal for the next ten years at least.

I don't agree

i can see Arsenal making a move on the top 4 - West Ham may get closer

Who knows what will happen with Newcastle

Man U will definitely come back at some point

• Like 1

The PL is quite a distasteful league when you get down to it. 

It's money and US investors trying to make more money.  Top 6 trying to distort the game any way they can to gain advantage.  More subs for example... Helps when you can have a bench full of superstars.  

In hindsight, they should bugger off and form their superleague and leave English football to itself. 

VAR is a disgrace imo, just another level of insulation for the top clubs. 

I read other day that Leeds now have 22nd highest turnover in world football.... Its just mad. 

• Like 2

£4.25 billion takeover by an American from a Russian Oligarch who only had to sell because of his links to a Russian dictator after his invasion of Ukraine.

All feels too far away from my life to feel it is 'Our Game' anymore.

Chelsea (and Football) is a world away from Ken Bates buying the club for £1 in a crumbling stadium and erecting an electric fence to put off troble makers.

• Like 1

I’m no accountant, but these are my thoughts.

To a mega rich purchasers using leveraged funding, the actual cost is a bit irrelevant! Because the purchaser, rather than dipping into his own savings, rather than risking his own money, borrows from a bank and transfers the debt to the club. A debt free club now owes £4bn. A rich American now owns a top football club.

Rich American pays himself a consultancy fee or salary or dividend (whichever is most tax efficient).

But the bank wants a return on their lending, so (some of) the premiership riches get diverted from investment in the club and to the bank. 

If the cost of the club was £5bn, a bit more of the club’s income would be diverted to the bank. And vice versa. Based on Chelsea being a near certainty for the EPL and Champs League, the extra payback on another £bn is neither here nor there provided the rich American gets his new status symbol / cash cow. The price was essentially set via auction: what’s the highest price that some billionaire could “make the figures work”. Nothing (little) to do with land values, all to do with TV money, commercial revenue streams, etc. and how they are perceived to trend into the future.

The leveraged purchase is great for the owner as it’s near risk free. But for the club, much of its income is lost (to the owner and to the bank) and this can signal a lack of future competitiveness: see 10 years at Man U and the imminent fire sale at Burnley.

Of course I might be wrong. The rich American might just be raiding his savings and using his own money to buy the club and might run the club without taking any fees, like Abramovich. Then again…

When a club who’s been rubbish for years (Everton) has far greater revenues than one of European footballs most iconic clubs (Ajax) you know there’s something wrong.

Half a billion to avoid relegation as opposed to a club that not only produces incredible talent but also recognises talent from lesser clubs to buy, improve and sell on for huge profits.

The amount of world class players who either started with them, or arrived there before going onto bigger things is staggering. 

But what does that matter, they can’t even compete with Brentford when it comes to paying wages.

• Like 1

TV money. Simple. I predicted Sky would ruin football, it has. The top 4/6 could even do without competitions, just play exhibition games v each other in Asia, USA etc. All those "fans" want to do is photograph the players. I love Wednesday but not football any more .

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

TV money. Simple. I predicted Sky would ruin football, it has. The top 4/6 could even do without competitions, just play exhibition games v each other in Asia, USA etc. All those "fans" want to do is photograph the players. I love Wednesday but not football any more .

Completely agree. If Wednesday disappeared tomorrow that would be me done with football. 

Its a shame because I love the sport itself and the history but so much of the modern game is repulsive.

• Like 1

My lad eats sleeps and breathes football. He plays at a decent level, trains regularly and we have season tickets at Wednesday. I watch him and I watch Wednesday and my emotions are there, on the surface, crackling away and reminding me that life is good. 

Then I watch Premier league and champions league and there's no emotion. However, I appreciate the game and the skill and the artistry. It's so far removed from the first paragraph though that its almost a different sport. 

If Wednesday folded I'd follow a phoenix club. If there wasn't one I'd follow Handsworth as my lad plays for their U15s. I couldn't follow another league club. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Same could be said for so many sports now that is on TV now.
F1 - If you have no money, don't ever dream or making it. Let alone who you know is better than what you know. Monaco this weekend was appalling, and souless, the further away from motor racing as possible.
Football - It's a tv show
Rugby - Creeping towards football, about a decade behind
Cricket - The Hundred, IPL

For me I can only watch a few now:
Winter sports (actual life on the line stuff still),
Golf - Individual talent will always trump the day,
Snooker (see golf)

• Like 1

There’s a good article on The Athletic currently about the Chelsea purchase. Maguire is saying that it’s over the odds in many ways, but the opportunity to buy an elite club is very rare, and the value of such clubs is expected to increase over the next decade. They’re also comparatively cheap compared to American sports franchises.

One way it’s predicted to grow is through virtual reality experience of the games😩

D6FBD6D5-3D46-47B9-A549-690FA3FF1A50.png

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

My lad eats sleeps and breathes football. He plays at a decent level, trains regularly and we have season tickets at Wednesday. I watch him and I watch Wednesday and my emotions are there, on the surface, crackling away and reminding me that life is good. 

Then I watch Premier league and champions league and there's no emotion. However, I appreciate the game and the skill and the artistry. It's so far removed from the first paragraph though that its almost a different sport. 

If Wednesday folded I'd follow a phoenix club. If there wasn't one I'd follow Handsworth as my lad plays for their U15s. I couldn't follow another league club. 

Handsworth don’t have the greatest reputation in grass roots/junior football tbf. In many ways aren’t they trying to be the big fish at that level, like the Premier league boys are at the top end?

Might have read it on here but for every 14 people registered on the Man City website, 13 are based overseas. The Premier League is just a franchise, and English in name only. Foreign owners, money, players, fans, sponsors. 

I’m in the US at present and had the usual ‘where are you from’ chat with the Uber driver. He knew Sheffield United straightaway, but had genuinely never heard of Wednesday. Thought he was taking the p tbf. He was mid 50’s so would have been around when we were decent. The power and reach of the Premier League is immense. 

• Like 1