£1 million bid for Josh Windass submitted to SWFC

11 minutes ago, owlerton said:

I'd agree with that. i personally see it as a gamble though, he's possibly a managerial sacking away from ending up on the scrapheap. 

Any move is a gamble at any club in all fairness. Worst case scenario for him personally is to end up back in England?

Its an incredible league and country that most don’t get the opportunity. 

26 minutes ago, Miruic said:

My main question about the Windass bids isn’t the amount but more the structure of the deal. How much of it is paid upfront? How much is guaranteed and how much is dependent on his performance and the performances of the club. 1m or 1.5m looks good on paper but are unlikely to be as straightforward as that. 

Thank you we think the same

17 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Fair bid for someone with a year left on his contract....he could sign a pre-contract in January and then get 'injured' so we get very little back

Take it if it includes anything around £1m up front 

We have an option to extend his deal for another year after next, though.

He's a quality player who we should be loathe to lose, but I'd be looking to sell any player who wants out, to be honest.

Whether that applies to Windass remains to be seen...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He's a quality player who we should be loathe to lose, but I'd be looking to sell any player who wants out, to be honest.

Him wanting out is the unknown and what could force the deal through

I wonder if we could set up some sort of reciprocal arrangement for young Argentinian talent.... make this work for us more strategically. I believe a certain team in England had the opportunity to buy Maradonna for £250k 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Agree. To me, it seems one of those transfers which suits all parties. 

Most wouldn't begrudge Windass the opportunity to play in a foreign league, great experience and presumably financially attractive. Likewise, most wouldn't disagree with the club for selling him, for the right money (being reasonably with expectations) and reinvesting in the squad. 

• Like 1

One thing that has surprised me about Windass is how people speak about him almost like he’s a top end Championship player. 

Being brutally honest, he didn’t set the world alight for Wigan! Hence why when they were in administration his best option was a club on -12.

He didn’t set the world alight for Wednesday! Scoring 9! His most productive Championship season. 

He had one good season with Rangers & Gerrard came in and sold him straight away for £2.5m. Which funnily enough Windass said in a podcast he thought he was worth more. 

He’s a good player, but there is nothing to suggest he’s irreplaceable at this level or the one above. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Any move is a gamble at any club in all fairness. Worst case scenario for him personally is to end up back in England?

Its an incredible league and country that most don’t get the opportunity. 

Great league, not so sure about the country. Many years since I was there but I've no desire to return. Probably ok for a young rich lad.

Good luck to him if he decides to go provided we get a decent fee. £2M should be enough.lol

1 hour ago, Miruic said:

My main question about the Windass bids isn’t the amount but more the structure of the deal. How much of it is paid upfront? How much is guaranteed and how much is dependent on his performance and the performances of the club. 1m or 1.5m looks good on paper but are unlikely to be as straightforward as that. 

Exactly this - all depends on the structure of the bid. 

If it’s for example 1m upfront with 500k on appearances then you’d be foolish not to strongly considering. However it could be 100k upfront and the remainder once Windass gets 10 England caps 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Fair bid for someone with a year left on his contract....he could sign a pre-contract in January and then get 'injured' so we get very little back

Take it if it includes anything around £1m up front 

Effectively two years with the club's one year extension  option.

Guest mrbluesky
3 hours ago, owlerton said:

Talleres record of sacking managers is mad - 125 Managers in their 108 year history. Most managers don't last a year. He'd be mad to move over their for a manager. 

:Chansiri:

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Unless we are certain to get promoted, no way can we afford to exercise that option it doubles his salary !  I would also be cautious about this Argentine money, its OK agreeing a deal getting paid it is a very different matter.

4 hours ago, 0114 said:

It’s no mugs league down there.

Disagree with that. From what I understand (notably Jonathan Wilson in his excellent footballing history of Argentina) if you’re in your twenties and playing in Argentina you’re not up to much.

There’s great young talent looking to move to Europe, or 30 somethings returning from Europe. 

You've got to think that he and his people have indicated to this club that they want to move and that it is now up to the clubs to agree a fee. 

If that's the case, then get rid ffs. 

No point keeping him if he wants out. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Disagree with that. From what I understand (notably Jonathan Wilson in his excellent footballing history of Argentina) if you’re in your twenties and playing in Argentina you’re not up to much.

There’s great young talent looking to move to Europe, or 30 somethings returning from Europe. 

You could say that about anyone in their mid to late 20's in League 1 tbf

Edited by Gob_Bluth
  • Haha 1

Not seen him quoting  that he doesn't want to stay, just that he's had his head turned and he would be silly not to look at the offer and weigh up his options.  On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me that he's flattered that wednesday want to stick with him and have turned a good offer down for him. 

I hope stays if he wants to stay and plays to the same standard we have come to expect from him. 

• Like 1