£1 million bid for Josh Windass submitted to SWFC

15 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Not sure, a championship standard striker with 2 years left on a contract who we don't need to sell....1m + should be the least we would accept. About time we made some returns on transfers.

We signed him 20 months ago, reputedly for 500k. Assuming his salary plus bonuses are less than 22k per month and assuming full cost of employment is 114% of salary and bonuses. We will make a nett positive return by selling for a million. Of course we make a higher return the higher the fee. If we don’t sell we start to make a loss in July. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2022 at 23:25, The coach said:

Argentina..who have been exporting world class players all over the world..and one of their top flight teams want josh windass..and want to pay money they haven’t got to get him.garymegson........reyt...let’s see how this plays out 😂

So you're saying take the £1M first offer, as they haven't got any money?

If they've got no money then we may as well hold out for £20M pounds worth of nothing lol

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2022 at 08:51, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

So as a a renowned business guru you are aware that for there to be a “market value” there has to be a buyer and a seller wishing to exchange? DC and previous owners have a long and damaging track record of overvaluing players. Result we can’t sell, players run down contracts and leave for nothing. Therefore we make a huge loss. In Windass case,  💯 mark up on something would be better than 150% of nothing if no one is prepared to meet your arbitrary market value.

Of course I haven’t listed who we would replace him with and at what cost you silly sausage. I am not a football agent. I have no visibility of who’s available or the demands of their clubs and agents. What I can do, to continue your property analogy is “list recent sales of similar properties in your area” 

Will Keane free transfer

Ross Stewart 300k

Alfie May free transfer

Cole Stockton free transfer

Scott Twine free transfer

Matt Taylor free transfer

Michael Smith undisclosed 

I've been running my business for many years, although I wouldn't suggest I am some guru. However it is obvious to my Accountant that I can run a successful business, otherwise he wouldn't be employed. And nor would others. Therefore I know and appreciate that there are many other factors to consider than purely profit, because how is profit quantified in football?

You argument is purely based on the cost of the player versus what we could get for him. You don't know his wages, replacement player costs, their wages and fees etc. Nor do you know where we are with the negotiations. It could well be that we don't sell, or sell for £1M or sell for more. We aren't privy to that information, but in DC's shoes, I wouldn't be accepting the first offer through the door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

So you're saying take the £1M first offer, as they haven't got any money?

If they've got no money then we may as well hold out for £20M pounds worth of nothing lol

No I’m saying there is no bid and he won’t be goin to Argentina...believe you me

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2022 at 08:51, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

So as a a renowned business guru you are aware that for there to be a “market value” there has to be a buyer and a seller wishing to exchange? DC and previous owners have a long and damaging track record of overvaluing players. Result we can’t sell, players run down contracts and leave for nothing. Therefore we make a huge loss. In Windass case,  💯 mark up on something would be better than 150% of nothing if no one is prepared to meet your arbitrary market value.

Of course I haven’t listed who we would replace him with and at what cost you silly sausage. I am not a football agent. I have no visibility of who’s available or the demands of their clubs and agents. What I can do, to continue your property analogy is “list recent sales of similar properties in your area” 

Will Keane free transfer

Ross Stewart 300k

Alfie May free transfer

Cole Stockton free transfer

Scott Twine free transfer

Matt Taylor free transfer

Michael Smith undisclosed 

Micheal Smith is out of contact.

4 hours ago, The coach said:

No I’m saying there is no bid and he won’t be goin to Argentina...believe you me

The bid has been confirmed by numerous different parties, and the bid has been rejected. Why on earth would anyone make this up?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-josh-windass-update-as-reports-state-last-bid-incoming-3717068

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

The bid has been confirmed by numerous different parties, and the bid has been rejected. Why on earth would anyone make this up?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-josh-windass-update-as-reports-state-last-bid-incoming-3717068

To be fair, they are quoting the Argies chairman and what he says the bid is. Hes also said Windass wants to go.

Wednesday havent said what the bid is to the press. Windass hasnt said he wants to go. 

Its weird. I cant believe that of all the players in all the world, the first English player to be transferred to the Argentinian Premier league in history, will be League 1 Josh Windass for a million quid.

It stinks like a rotten kipper.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 28/05/2022 at 11:41, Inspector Lestrade said:

Will cost double that to get a player of the same calibre.

What is point in his calibre if he spend most of his time on treatment table. 

Any injury prone players need offloading and younger stronger faster and more skilled athletic players brought in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

What is point in his calibre if he spend most of his time on treatment table. 

Any injury prone players need offloading and younger stronger faster and more skilled athletic players brought in. 

Is he injury prone or has he just suffered one really bad injury (with associated setbacks)?

He's managed a decent number of appearances until last season:

20/21: 44

19/20: 25

18/19: 45

17/18: 41

16/17: 27

15/16: 35

14/15: 39

The injury he had last season has clearly been by far the worst of his career, but if the medical team believe it's behind him, then we'd be daft to cast him aside lightly based on one bad injury.

• Like 2

On 02/06/2022 at 16:16, Nero said:

To be fair, they are quoting the Argies chairman and what he says the bid is. Hes also said Windass wants to go.

Wednesday havent said what the bid is to the press. Windass hasnt said he wants to go. 

Its weird. I cant believe that of all the players in all the world, the first English player to be transferred to the Argentinian Premier league in history, will be League 1 Josh Windass for a million quid.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying - I'm not suggesting we've received a £1M bid, just that we've received a bid. I've not got a clue what it is, but like the rest of us I am basing it on £1M with regards to my comments. It could be a tenner for all we know.

There are connections with the manager as he managed Windass at Rangers. Also ICM - Windass's agents - have an Argentian branch. Allegedly.

On 02/06/2022 at 11:16, Nero said:

100% agree.

Caixinha addresses Windass reunion

Pedro Caixinha has lifted the lid on his hopes of a Rangers reunion with Josh Windass in Argentina with new club Talleres.

The former Ibrox boss moved to Argentina in March and now he wants to bring Windass to South America too after revealing he keeps in touch with him regularly. When discussing the state of play and discussions with Sheffield Wednesday, he told Le Voz:

I've kept in touch with Josh since when I had him at Rangers. He is a player that we know and that we always follow. He has the profile we are looking for for one of the extremes. He is straight, but he can also play behind the '9' and also from outside to inside. He was a player that we proposed to Andrés when we were analysing player options for that position.

He, his representative and the club his pass belongs to (Sheffield Wednesday) have been contacted. Now it is a matter of negotiations, which is not up to me to carry out. What I can say is that an offer has been made and that it may be a possibility, but nothing is defined.

• Thanks 1

If Windass and Gregory stay, along with the likes of Luongo, that will be a boost, and will give us more continuity and less players to have to bring in. If they go, it will give us a better chance of strengthening. Either way we still need to strengthen, especially in goal, defence and upfront.

Although I like Windass as a player, we still made the top 6 despite how little he played last season. Without so many key players out at various times last season, we possibly could've went up. We weren't far off.

Personally, I'd let Windass go for the right price and look to replace him, with a more reliable attacker, someone like Alfie May would be my ideal choice and I'd also look to bring in a target man too, for that role Michael Smith sounds ideal to me. Even if we don't get those, there are other possible players worth considering and targeting such as the likes of Dom Telford; Harry McKirdy, James McAtee, Cole Stockton and Jayden Stockley, etc.

Hopefully we'll build on from last season and strengthen efficiently enough to go up this time.