Defending set pieces cost us massively

Thanks for those stats @areNOTwhatTHEYseem really useful.

Looks like we didn't concede any goals on the counter attack even though our only defender with genuine pace (Iorfa) was out for most of the season.

To me it shows that height and physicality in defence are more useful than pace in this league. ( Different to championship) Similar to when we were last promoted.

Would be interesting to see what the stats were for goals conceded when caught in possession in your own half.

• Like 1

A staple in league one is for teams to launch high balls into the box towards giant forwards and/or CB's. When Dunkley was playing before his injury we coped well in the main. This changed with his injury absence and subsequently falling out of favour. Even Dean , who was also hampered by injury, didn't have the same aerial presence. Storey was ok but not great in the air.

All well and good having 'footballing' defenders but we must recruit at least one CB who can dominate in the air for next season. Similarly  up front.

15 hours ago, room0035 said:

The benefits of playing a right back and a left winger at centre back, when you had centre backs available.

It was noticeable how much better we got when Storey, Hutch and a n other were in the back 3.

Had we played 3 centre backs from the start of the season instead of square pegs in round holes we would now be a championship team. Its really that simple.

Signing a couple of centre backs did make a difference. Hutchinson, Palmer and Johnson frequently appeared there and the Donny stories of playing people of position still continued as Palmer was put in as cb as a sub in the fateful second leg.

13 hours ago, SiJ said:

We had a load of injuries at CB, hence why we ended up shoehorning people into the back three for a period. 

And we were still conceding goals from set pieces even after we had 3 CBs playing regularly. 

Indeed yet hutch got injured in the play off and instead of bringing on a centre back in Dunkley. Moore brought on a right back in Palmer, so even when fit they didn't play. What happens we concede a late goal that costs us a chance at Wembley 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Indeed yet hutch got injured in the play off and instead of bringing on a centre back in Dunkley. Moore brought on a right back in Palmer, so even when fit they didn't play. What happens we concede a late goal that costs us a chance at Wembley 

Agree in principle but on topic of set piece goals, that goal was from open play and ironically it was conceded from an attack down our right flank. Agree as I say in principle though; I was a bit perplexed on occasions when non CBs were preferred to genuine CBs.

Guest Musttryharder
6 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Screenshot_2022-05-27-06-58-04-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.b04dd41049633587075040332a0ecdea.jpg

So it's no coincidence the 3 promoted are in the bottom 4 of conceding from set plays. It was abundantly clear these all have a game plan. Here lies our problem. It's not rocket science. At set pieces our players don't have a clue on what their responsibilities are. 

15 hours ago, camffiti said:

The reason I suggested Flint & Hector 

I dont know how financially realistic those 2 would be tbf, but you get my point 

I think we've got no chance of getting Hector. 29 years old, proven top Championship player. 

Flint is a possibility.

• Like 1

The Oxford loss really boiled my pee. 
Storey sat on the bench and Johnson gets outmuscled back post. Not really his fault but come on DM hope you’ve learned from that one. As has already been said it’s a key part of the game in L1 and took us a while to get to grips with it. 

It’s not just down to the centre backs, or lack of them.

To defend set pieces you need a keeper to command his area. How often did we see the ball drop to the ground in a busy goal area? BPF did not inspire confidence at set pieces and his inability to dominate his area cost us.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, edwinowl said:

The Oxford loss really boiled my pee. 
Storey sat on the bench and Johnson gets outmuscled back post. Not really his fault but come on DM hope you’ve learned from that one. As has already been said it’s a key part of the game in L1 and took us a while to get to grips with it. 

To be fair, that was the only time Moore left a senior centre back out in favour of an out -of-position stand-in.

That was the one game all season where I was thoroughly p*ssed off with him, as we conceded headed goals with Storey sat on the bench.

55 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

To be fair, that was the only time Moore left a senior centre back out in favour of an out -of-position stand-in.

That was the one game all season where I was thoroughly p*ssed off with him, as we conceded headed goals with Storey sat on the bench.

Agree fully Mate 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 09:51, Bulldog said:

So Toytown conceded ONE goal all season from a set piece, just look at that again, ONE! and people keep saying we had one of the best squads in the league. Evidently not the case.

Its unarguable that we had one of the 'best' squads......we started the season with 7 Championship regulars,from the previous season,brought in a keeper from the PL, storey,dean on loan(from Championship Clubs) etc etc..............

Name me another side with that sort of recruitment or 'quality' in the Division?....(aside from the 2 sides relegated with us)...

Its than how said players are managed,what tactics ,subs & game mngt are used,that dictates how well a side does in ANY Division...

On 27/05/2022 at 14:34, Tamworthowl said:

It’s not just down to the centre backs, or lack of them.

To defend set pieces you need a keeper to command his area. How often did we see the ball drop to the ground in a busy goal area? BPF did not inspire confidence at set pieces and his inability to dominate his area cost us.

Yeah if ONLY we hadnt sent Cameron out on loan......that wouldnt have happened....OH WAIT!

On 27/05/2022 at 00:35, owl84 said:

38% equates to 19 goals. 

Are there any statos on here that can tell us how many points that cost us. 

Eg 2 at Bolton. . 

Also how does that compare to previous seasons appreciate we are in a lower league but we seem to have had issues defending them for a while now. 

And compare that to the 18 goals which Rotherham had conceded in the league when they came to Hillsborough on 13th Feb.

11 hours ago, parajack said:

Its unarguable that we had one of the 'best' squads......we started the season with 7 Championship regulars,from the previous season,brought in a keeper from the PL, storey,dean on loan(from Championship Clubs) etc etc..............

Name me another side with that sort of recruitment or 'quality' in the Division?....(aside from the 2 sides relegated with us)...

Its than how said players are managed,what tactics ,subs & game mngt are used,that dictates how well a side does in ANY Division...

You've got to be able to defend set pieces in the Third, as it's a major source of goals for many teams.

Moore can't get it right, so we need a defensive coach bringing in.

On 26/05/2022 at 20:34, Swfcsi said:

Shocked me this season did this especially with Moore , Smith ,and Williams (when he was with us ) were all defenders 

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink and all that. I'm sure DM hammered home what to do, they just didn't do it in some games. However, it's the extra pressure incorrect team selection and tactics had on the defence that also went against us... So.. Its a squad thing. Collective responsibility all round. 

• Like 1