Man City Premier League Dominance

Just now, scram said:

There still hasn't been a better left back in world football since Cole was in his pomp

The thought a player like Vieira or Henry wouldn't be at the pinnacle of the game now is beyond laughable

For me, Henry is the greatest PL player of all time.

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

They wouldn't though.

You're talking guff, sorry.

You were probably about four when the invincibles were playing in their pomp.

That was a team who went a whole season undefeated and amassed 90 points. They played some of the best attacking, fast paced, technical football the PL has ever seen.

Campbell, Cole, Viera, Henry, Pires, Bergkamp would walk into the current Liverpool side.

Liverpool finished on more points than the invincible side this season.

Fantastic side that Arsenal team don’t get me wrong, but they’re not as good as the side Klopp has put together over the past few seasons at Liverpool. Three Champions League Finals winning one of them. Premier League winners, runners up twice with 97 and 92 points (more points than Arsenal in their invincible year). 

And don’t get me started on what Pep has done at City. 

Football has changed immensely in 20 years. The players are faster, fitter and stronger. They’d beat the Arsenal invincibles team comfortably. 

Sorry. 

Problem with comparing eras.

Too many automatically assume that newer is better.

Great teams of the past are readily dismissed. The usual lines thrown about whether they could play in the modern game. You'd think Arsenal, Man U were just lumping the ball forward. Nothing could be further from the truth. Worth remembering that around the time of the mid to late 00s the top PL sides were regularly getting to European finals too. In fact, I think the big 4 as they were then all got to at least one Champs League final around that time. These were top, top sides and they were arguably competing at a time when the other European leagues weren't quite so weak.

Heck, I think the Liverpool 08 team probably has a better midfield than the current side!

6 minutes ago, scram said:

There still hasn't been a better left back in world football since Cole was in his pomp

The thought a player like Vieira or Henry wouldn't be at the pinnacle of the game now is beyond laughable

The role of the modern fullback has changed. Cole was excellent, but don’t recall him being a bombing on full back who chipped in with loads of assists and goals.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Liverpool finished on more points than the invincible side this season.

Fantastic side that Arsenal team don’t get me wrong, but they’re not as good as the side Klopp has put together over the past few seasons at Liverpool. Three Champions League Finals winning one of them. Premier League winners, runners up twice with 97 and 92 points (more points than Arsenal in their invincible year). 

And don’t get me started on what Pep has done at City. 

Football has changed immensely in 20 years. The players are faster, fitter and stronger. They’d beat the Arsenal invincibles team comfortably. 

Sorry. 

You should be apologising to yourself.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

The role of the modern fullback has changed. Cole was excellent, but don’t recall him being a bombing on full back who chipped in with loads of assists and goals.

He did at Arsenal.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

He did at Arsenal.

Cole got 31 Premier League assists in his entire career.

Robertson for Liverpool at 27 (I think) has 49. 

Game has changed completely. Past great teams I just don’t think would be able to cope with the pace of the game nowadays. The standard has jumped another level.

Anyone who tries to argue that Andy Robertson is a better left back than Ashley Cole needs to go and seek professional help.

Yes, Robertson has a very high number of assists, but then he plays in a team where the fullbacks are effectively the main creative outlet for the entire side.

The game has changed, but that does not automatically mean it is better.

Thierry Henry and a few others would likely have Robertson, Trent and co on toast.

Robertson can't defend

Like i said - you don't wanna allow for context and how teams from previous could extremely simply adapt to the demands of todays game

Defenders who can't defend (ie a lot of PL defenders) would get shredded by the tricky players of the past

Imagine Salah with Steve Bould literally snapping his ankle in the first few "welcolmers"

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Anyone who tries to argue that Andy Robertson is a better left back than Ashley Cole needs to go and seek professional help.

Yes, Robertson has a very high number of assists, but then he plays in a team where the fullbacks are effectively the main creative outlet for the entire side.

The game has changed, but that does not automatically mean it is better.

Thierry Henry and a few others would likely have Robertson, Trent and co on toast.

You are completely missing the point.

Football is a team game played by 11 players. Elite teams nowadays have goals and assists all over the pitch and play the game at a different level. It’s only natural for the game to improve.

You’re right, tricky to compare different eras. But Klopp and Guardiola have taken their respective teams to a completely different level. They are the two best Premier League sides of all time.

7 minutes ago, scram said:

Robertson can't defend

Like i said - you don't wanna allow for context and how teams from previous could extremely simply adapt to the demands of todays game

Defenders who can't defend (ie a lot of PL defenders) would get shredded by the tricky players of the past

Imagine Salah with Steve Bould literally snapping his ankle in the first few "welcolmers"

Head to head match.

City under Guardiola vs Arsenal under Wenger. City beat them easily. 

That’s the point I’m making. 

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Head to head match.

City under Guardiola vs Arsenal under Wenger. City beat them easily. 

That’s the point I’m making. 

You really didn't watch much of the great Wenger teams did you.

Imagine Liverpools defenders "bombing on" against Arsenals attack - carnage

imagine Slah and Mane being in row Z after getting the good cop/bad cop treatment from Bould/Keown/Campbell/Adams

Imagine lightweights like Kieta and Henderson against Vieira and Petit

The more i consider it the more i think Liverpool would barely lay a glove on them

1 minute ago, scram said:

Imagine Liverpools defenders "bombing on" against Arsenals attack - carnage

imagine Slah and Mane being in row Z after getting the good cop/bad cop treatment from Bould/Keown/Campbell/Adams

Imagine lightweights like Kieta and Henderson against Vieira and Petit

The more i consider it the more i think Liverpool would barely lay a glove on them

Scram, come on you’re better than this. You think Salah and Mane are quaking in their boots at the thought of Martin Keown and Sol Campbell

lol

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Scram, come on you’re better than this. You think Salah and Mane are quaking in their boots at the thought of Martin Keown and Sol Campbell

lol

Sol Campbell was a world class CB.

Are you for real? 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

He was excellent in his era. But we seriously acting as if he would keep Mo Salah quiet? 

Yes.

He's a better defender  than many of the CBs currently plying their trade atm.

You seem to think anyone who played 20 or so years ago was a pub league player. Bizarre attitude.

I mean a CB who competed against forwards the quality of Shearer, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Drogba, Torres and so on and so on wouldn't be able to have a good game against Mo Salah?