Man City Premier League Dominance

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they win all 5 and their next realistic competition after that is Newcastle.

Klopp’s Liverpool are a remarkable machine but how long can that go on for. This season makes it twice now where they’ve given every drop and played to the edge every week and still not had enough to overcome City. There’s a shelf life for everybody at the club to keep doing that. Klopp’s had one before trying to topple Bayern.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they win all 5 and their next realistic competition after that is Newcastle.

Klopp’s Liverpoo

If that becomes the case (and it goes to a Bayern Munich style league) then Sky and BT will have to tell us how ‘going for the top 4’ is the big new aspiration. 

(already the case the somewhat)

Thing with City is that their team — possibly even the entire club — is very much moulded for Pep and his brand of football. His contract is up next season I think, what happens when he leaves? There doesn’t seem to be a natural successor to replace him because he’s so uniquely brilliant.

The only other genuinely transformative, world class manager out there is Klopp — Ancelotti, Nagelsmann, Conte etc are all good, but not the same level as those two 

I don’t mind City. Much prefer them winning it to Liverpool. United will be some years before they challenge. Same with Arsenal. No idea what the future holds for Chelsea would like to see them fall away.

Spurs will always find a way not to be genuine contenders. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

I don’t mind City. Much prefer them winning it to Liverpool. United will be some years before they challenge. Same with Arsenal. No idea what the future holds for Chelsea would like to see them fall away.

Spurs will always find a way not to be genuine contenders. 

I kind of see City as a necessary evil.

If it means we don't have to endure Liverpool winning the title every season then so be it.

The thing is they've only come to really dominate since Pep got there. Before that, it was a couple of title wins and a decent haul of cups.

What's going on with City atm is they've effectively got the best in class throughout the club and that is been reflected on/off the pitch.

Once Pep leaves, they will still be successful, but I'm not convinced we will have a Bayern type scenario where it seems whoever is in charge will win the league.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2022 at 00:01, SiJ said:

Pretty sure I could say our kit is blue and white and Sally would find a way to disagree with it.

Anyway, I respectfully suggest that sweeping statements such as the current City/Liverpool teams would "wipe the floor" with the great Arsenal, Man U teams is utter horsesh*t but then I'd not expect anything less. 

Both teams would beat them comfortably. The game is quicker, more technical and with better quality than it was 20 years ago. 

This City and Liverpool side are the best we’ve ever seen in the Prem.

It’s really not much of a sweeping statement. 

• Like 1

On 28/05/2022 at 09:37, SiJ said:

I kind of see City as a necessary evil.

If it means we don't have to endure Liverpool winning the title every season then so be it.

The thing is they've only come to really dominate since Pep got there. Before that, it was a couple of title wins and a decent haul of cups.

What's going on with City atm is they've effectively got the best in class throughout the club and that is been reflected on/off the pitch.

Once Pep leaves, they will still be successful, but I'm not convinced we will have a Bayern type scenario where it seems whoever is in charge will win the league.

I agree and it’s the same with Liverpool. 

I do have a theory though that the league as a whole is weaker. I think we see these monster points totals because almost every team from 8th down seem to only aim for survival. In the last two seasons the bottom 3 or 4 sides have been woeful. The pigs season when they hadn’t won for months they still were not cut adrift and same this season. This season Leicester, Brighton and Wolves all had terrible runs at stages and still finished in relatively high positions.

That being said City and Liverpool are excellent sides who play incredible football. Even in comparison to Chelsea, United, Spurs and Arsenal they are miles ahead.

On 27/05/2022 at 13:10, Kopparberg said:

If that becomes the case (and it goes to a Bayern Munich style league) then Sky and BT will have to tell us how ‘going for the top 4’ is the big new aspiration. 

(already the case the somewhat)

Why the phuck is Liverpool having a parade for winning 2 cups the main story in BBC sport. 

Absolute whoppers 

• Like 2

On 28/05/2022 at 15:51, SallyCinnamon said:

Both teams would beat them comfortably. The game is quicker, more technical and with better quality than it was 20 years ago. 

This City and Liverpool side are the best we’ve ever seen in the Prem.

It’s really not much of a sweeping statement. 

Spoken like someone who watched naff all football 20 years ago.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

More fool you for thinking these two sides aren’t the best to ever grace the division.

They’re outstanding. Better than the Man Utd and Arsenal teams of the early 00s.

How old were you when the great Man U and Arsenal teams were playing? 

Also - saying they are better is not the same as wiping the floor with them.

Oh, and you still haven't addressed whether the likes of Henry, Cole, Bergkamp etc., would get in the current City and Liverpool teams.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

More fool you for thinking these two sides aren’t the best to ever grace the division.

They’re outstanding. Better than the Man Utd and Arsenal teams of the early 00s.

But what you are not accounting for is the fact that the players in past eras were the best at the time - if they could adapt to the intensity demands of the modern game (not really many that wouldn't) then of course players those players would be able to compete in the top teams today

You cannot tell me that players from the past like Waddle, Giggs, Barnes, Overmars etc wouldn't turn the Liverpool FB's inside out

They'd be untwisting themselves for weeks afterwards

An adapted Roy Keane would get into any PL side - City and Liverpool included

16 minutes ago, SiJ said:

How old were you when the great Man U and Arsenal teams were playing? 

Also - saying they are better is not the same as wiping the floor with them.

Oh, and you still haven't addressed whether the likes of Henry, Cole, Bergkamp etc., would get in the current City and Liverpool teams.

They’d wipe the floor with them, then. Like I’ve said, doesn’t need much further explaining. The game is faster, quicker and better than it was 20 years ago! This Liverpool and City team are just better. They’re unbelievable. 

They might do, but what’s your point? We’re talking about which side is better. Not individual players. 

16 minutes ago, scram said:

But what you are not accounting for is the fact that the players in past eras were the best at the time - if they could adapt to the intensity demands of the modern game (not really many that wouldn't) then of course players those players would be able to compete in the top teams today

You cannot tell me that players from the past like Waddle, Giggs, Barnes, Overmars etc wouldn't turn the Liverpool FB's inside out

They'd be untwisting themselves for weeks afterwards

An adapted Roy Keane would get into any PL side - City and Liverpool included

Why should I take that into account? I’m just making the point that these two teams are the best to play in the Premier League and would beat the great Premier League teams of the past.

37 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They’d wipe the floor with them, then. Like I’ve said, doesn’t need much further explaining. The game is faster, quicker and better than it was 20 years ago! This Liverpool and City team are just better. They’re unbelievable. 

They might do, but what’s your point? We’re talking about which side is better. Not individual players. 

They wouldn't though.

You're talking guff, sorry.

You were probably about four when the invincibles were playing in their pomp.

That was a team who went a whole season undefeated and amassed 90 points. They played some of the best attacking, fast paced, technical football the PL has ever seen.

Campbell, Cole, Viera, Henry, Pires, Bergkamp would walk into the current Liverpool side.