What a photo

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Hillsborough Throwback 1978 .just how I remember it when I was a lad takes me back to my childhood looking at this 

CE41D8B0-F030-463B-B549-07D487938D9B.jpeg

I think that this season, seeing the genuine appreciation of the fans coming to SWFC, many for the first time, has reminded me of what a jewel we have in Hillsborough. I have been pretty ambivalent about moving but I think we get caught up in our own history too much. 

Its just a fantastic stadium to watch football in and we are lucky to have it.

And yes what a sign that was -  what a pity we cant get the neon back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silkstone Owl said:

Is this taken from Herries Road?  Can’t get my bearings with it being so dark

Yes and the uncovered Kop with the scoreboard. And the state of the art floodlights…..for 1956. 

When I was a kid in the mid 80's I along with my brother went to see my Dad at the weekends. He still lived in Shiregreen and we lived in Sharrow. If we had been good that weekend he would make two separate journeys on his motorbike via Hillsborough so that me and my brother could see the newer Hillsborough sign. If we had been bad we just got drove home via Pitsmoor.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kirksandallowl said:

Imagine the meltdown on here with the state of those floodlights lol

They were fine in those days-each lamp working, not just a random 50%. Let’s see if they are replaced with new LED lighting this summer as promised. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Aingarth said:

They were fine in those days-each lamp working, not just a random 50%. Let’s see if they are replaced with new LED lighting this summer as promised. 

Lighten up mate it was a bit of fun, you'll have stroke if you're not careful.

On 25/05/2022 at 14:01, Swfcsi said:

I never get why people slag and moan about Hillsborough I've been going since I was 7 and I'm 37 know and still get Goosebumps and excited when I walk on the the kop 

Because many of our fans didn’t go to the ground in the 70s and 80s. So i can see why people slag it off when it’s really not up to scratch by today’s standards. I’m not talking large scale renovation You don’t even have to spend that much money to do it up just a little, clean up the roof and get rid of the presto sign on the away end, and chop down all the overgrown foliage around the kop. 

• Like 1