We’re In The Same League Again So Hey

We got our just desserts in the end so we take the grind of League 1 as punishment 

is it really that bad a league? Dreading trying to get out of it as it took Sunderland 4 attempts and Ipswich have yet to even make the playoffs in 3 attempts 😔

4 minutes ago, DCFCOwls said:

We got our just desserts in the end so we take the grind of League 1 as punishment 

is it really that bad a league? Dreading trying to get out of it as it took Sunderland 4 attempts and Ipswich have yet to even make the playoffs in 3 attempts 😔

It's a mixed bag. 

There is something to be said for being in a division where you are winning more often than not. Did make a nice change from being utter sh*te in the Championship for the last two to three seasons. 

There are some decent sides in this division and then you get some of the smaller sides who go out of their way to waste time from minute one. You will need to get used to the latter - we never dealt with it particularly well. 

You will notice that players at this level make little mistakes that you wouldn't usually see at Championship level. It's not comedy errors, just sight errors of judgement which can lead to goals and so forth. I distinctly remember our second goal against Cheltenham. Was just a big old punt from the back and two of their defenders decide to try and head it. One does, but he knocks it down to Gregory and cause mate went for it too, Gregory then had room to steer what was tbf a very good half volley. Still - I'm not sure you'd see most Championship defenders making such an error. 

• Like 1

Ive never seen us play in this division before so kimda looking forward to it in a way. 

all those seasons of missing out on promotion from the championship does worry me, we are a club that chokes in big matches and it doesnt matter what division it is the same problem will persist. 

losing to a Mansfield rather than a Boro will slightly more frustrating though 🤮

One extra positive is Wycombe are still here, we get to goad the utter turds, “cheats” a,ways prosper apparently haha.

Officials down here are of a really poor standard and it can be highly frustrating, time wastings infuriating and the minimal contact free kick are major issues, get ready for some really baffling decisions.

Away allocations can be pretty low, although some clubs will let you in as long as your NOT decked out in club colours, but not Lincoln, they sell you the ticket then kick you out once you enter the ground.

The skill level and technical ability by en large can be pretty poor, but by contrast the work rates can be pretty impressive.

• Like 1

At home you will have great days and a clear advantage. But going away from home is like fa cup 3rd round each week and dropping points there cost us promotion. 

Derby played well at times last season but it was a free hit. It’s a different psychology now and both of us are a target in this league. To get out you have to stand up and beat that.

• Like 1

DM will have learnt a lot over the course of last season about what it takes to get out of this division.

If, and it’s a big if, we get our recruitment done early and can give the new players time to bed in, we can hit the ground running and be a strong candidate for automatic promotion this coming season.

15 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

The natural course for a club that copy everything we do! 😉

The songs, the bouncing, the points deduction & finally, relegation to the pub league.

No doubt, next on the agenda, your biggest rivals will end up in the PL, & then you'll fail in the play offs.

:duntmatter:  Get some ideas of your own ffs.

• Haha 5

Took us at least 4 or 5 months to adjust.

We did have 13 or 14 new players tho.

We were hammered by Plymouth twice and Hartlepool in the Papa John trophy..that was hard to stomach.

Some of the smaller clubs will do anything to ruin your day when they are at home.

14 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

missing out on promotion from the championship does worry me, we are a club that chokes in big matches and it doesnt matter what division it is the same problem will persist. 

Sounds like us. 

I think any novelty will wear off after 2 seasons max… 

A few will try and tell you it’s all good fun in League One…. Until reality hits and you’re losing away at a small town team. 

6 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

The natural course for a club that copy everything we do! 😉

The songs, the bouncing, the points deduction & finally, relegation to the pub league.

No doubt, next on the agenda, your biggest rivals will end up in the PL, & then you'll fail in the play offs.

:duntmatter:  Get some ideas of your own ffs.

Oh thhatll be Forest this Sunday with the next agenda being the biggest rivals in the prem... 

we love you, like a fun uncle 👍👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Sounds like us. 

I think any novelty will wear off after 2 seasons max… 

A few will try and tell you it’s all good fun in League One…. Until reality hits and you’re losing away at a small town team. 

This 

its the reason we got desperate to get out of the championship 

And Ipswich are the example, stagnating in the league above can soon become stagnating in the league below as well

We are a danger or that to happen in league 1 

Will be interesting to see how Rooney does with expectation. He has excelled to an extent under severe adversity, but Derby (and him) will be a huge scalp in L1 and looking in from the outside seems to fall apart a bit when adversity not an excuse?

Ive got a mate who is a massive DC fan and I am struggling to get him to understand what Derby will face next year tbh. I have had this conversation a few times and he keeps telling me that as a mid table Championship side you will walk it.

Fans of clubs like ours can't help but feel entitled to be beating smaller teams comfortably and I think that will be a big issue for you guys at first. Unless you just absolutely power through the league its a grind, with the Pizza Cup - Carabou - two games a week. The start of the season made my head spin with the sheer number of games. 

I don't think you will smash the league either. It isn't easy to win at home and its even harder away. You sometimes have to just battle your way through and be glad of the 3 points, even at home.

The quality is much higher at the top of the L1 than when we were last here in general. We had a far better side than the one we got relegated with and finished fourth. The crap sides all know how to set up not to lose. You have the winning machines like Wycombe who just do anything to get a result. A lot of good Prem loan talent is propping up teams across the division. There are then sides like us, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton who all have the same expectation of automatics and for who playing Derby is just another game between fellow fallen giants.

I have really enjoyed the season personally, especially the fans from other clubs coming here in numbers and some great away trips. One more season will be fine though thanks.

What will shock you is how seriously bad the refereeing is in general. At home you will get plenty of 'Im going to show i can stand up to the crowd and give everything to Smalltown FC' . They dont care about timewasting because they are catching their breath. Its terrible.

But go in with an open mind - its good fun down here.

• Like 1

On the whole I enjoyed last season but obviously you want to get promoted as quick as you can, otherwise like Sunderland & Ipswich 1 season can quickly become 4 and beyond

As other have said refs aren't great and they let teams get away with the Dark Arts, Gillingham at home last year had the right back trotting over to take throw ins from the left back side of the pitch early doors in the first half.

Also if you think the Championship gets little media coverage on outlets like the BBC wait until next season, as you'll be a footnote at best. Might increase slightly for you especially early doors if Rooney is still your manager.

The ref are utterly w@nk. 

I do agree on that. 

Not only do they make poor decisions, but very few actually do anything to stop the blatant time wasting which is going on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

The ref are utterly w@nk. 

I do agree on that. 

Not only do they make poor decisions, but very few actually do anything to stop the blatant time wasting which is going on. 

Top of a vast list for me is when they book a player in injury time for persistent time wasting. What punishment is that?

The latest trick (Sunderland did it) is to wander ten yards forward at every throw. The ref thinks he's being strict telling them to get back, but that's exactly what they want to happen! It's absurd how easily refs are conned.

On 26/05/2022 at 14:17, Nero said:

Ive got a mate who is a massive DC fan and I am struggling to get him to understand what Derby will face next year tbh. I have had this conversation a few times and he keeps telling me that as a mid table Championship side you will walk it.

Fans of clubs like ours can't help but feel entitled to be beating smaller teams comfortably and I think that will be a big issue for you guys at first. Unless you just absolutely power through the league its a grind, with the Pizza Cup - Carabou - two games a week. The start of the season made my head spin with the sheer number of games. 

I don't think you will smash the league either. It isn't easy to win at home and its even harder away. You sometimes have to just battle your way through and be glad of the 3 points, even at home.

The quality is much higher at the top of the L1 than when we were last here in general. We had a far better side than the one we got relegated with and finished fourth. The crap sides all know how to set up not to lose. You have the winning machines like Wycombe who just do anything to get a result. A lot of good Prem loan talent is propping up teams across the division. There are then sides like us, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton who all have the same expectation of automatics and for who playing Derby is just another game between fellow fallen giants.

I have really enjoyed the season personally, especially the fans from other clubs coming here in numbers and some great away trips. One more season will be fine though thanks.

What will shock you is how seriously bad the refereeing is in general. At home you will get plenty of 'Im going to show i can stand up to the crowd and give everything to Smalltown FC' . They dont care about timewasting because they are catching their breath. Its terrible.

But go in with an open mind - its good fun down here.

Theres a part of me that wants us to steamroll it and go straight back up with 95+ points similar to Leicester when they dropped down and had Pearson for example 

but this is Derby County and we simply dont do that never have (brian clough was a total one off and an exception to the rule) not even under Jim Smith did we have it easy we finished 2nd and had to sweat it on the last day 

ive watched a fair bit of league 1 and yes I know where in for a torrid time with the refs, im very open minded about this league and id be shocked if went up this coming season, im expecting a push for top 6 but wouldnt shock me if we finsihed where Ipswich finished this season gone 

anyways Im also looking forward to some good rivalry matches, Wycombe is an obvious one but Burton and MK Dons are good games personally, if Mansfield come up that would be a great day out as I live 20 minutes from there and with Nigel Clough their manager as well it’d be a great game to go to. 

the refs do concern me though as they were bad enough in the championship.

• Like 1

Don’t give a shiney shîte about derby. I really was hoping they went bust. 

Horrible club

horrible manager

Horrible fans 

hope they drop like a stone and get relegated again 

fückin sheep shággin wánkers 

• Love 1