Who are your top 3 Wednesday players of all time?

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Has anyone mentioned Ernest Blenkinsop, Ellis Rimmer, etc. Guess "of all time " is misleading. 

Someone mentioned rimmer......you  can understand why people only go for those theyve seen tho just as in 60 years time lads will be picking players from there era and wouldnt have a clue about  the likes of  hirst waddle etc etc .

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 10:45, Waddles Big Toe said:

Fun police are out again 🙄

I started this thread as I thought it would be a nice little thread to get people talking without any arguments or pulling people down,99% of people who have replied have simply given their favourite players that they have seen in their life time as I did so myself and is what I meant in the title as I’m pretty sure none of us have been around since 1867

end of the day fella we’re all Wednesday fans on here and I don’t really see the need for any petty sniping between each other.

apologies if I’ve missed out any capital letters comma’s and full stops,I must try harder next time.

UTO

No sniping, just teasing, intended but it's all relative. Good comment earlier that if someone asks same question  in 50 years time no one will remember Waddle, Sheridan, Nilsson etc.

I’ve been thinking about this for days.  There’s a difference between who I think are the best players to those I liked.

Top 3 best player in my time:-

1.  Waddle (fantastic player.  I knew he was good when he joined but didn’t realise how good he was week in week out)

2.  John Sheridan (he made Wim Jonk look like a pub league player)

3. Roland Nielsen (pure class).

Had he have stayed more than one season I think Degryse would be up there with the best.

Favourite top 3 at the time,

1.  Bannister

2. Sterland

3. Hirst (David)

Edited by Marro

Mick Lyons has got to be one ,Anyone remember we played Liverpool  got studded and stiched up in the tunnel.  Hirst goal machine ,Lastly got to  be Waddle that game against West Ham  funny but brother in law lifelong Hammer ,After game says do not fetch me here again best all round game i have seen any Wednesday player turn on.

1. Hirst at his cut short peak was the most valuable (Man utd record bid rejected) and exciting player in the country so 100m+ these days

2. Waddle, that 1st season was PFA player of year, ran games

3. Walker, watched him other week for Owls legends vs Donny legends, still can't be beat! Pips Di Canio for me due to how Paulo left, Paulo played 90mins in that game, closed people down and completely ran game tho, Owls won 7-2.

Nilsson and Carlton just outside these in my time going but not many will have same answer.

On 27/05/2022 at 15:13, torryowl said:

Someone mentioned rimmer......you  can understand why people only go for those theyve seen tho just as in 60 years time lads will be picking players from there era and wouldnt have a clue about  the likes of  hirst waddle etc etc .

Way before my time but surely Jackie Sewell would be up there?

On 27/05/2022 at 10:45, Waddles Big Toe said:

Fun police are out again 🙄

I started this thread as I thought it would be a nice little thread to get people talking without any arguments or pulling people down,99% of people who have replied have simply given their favourite players that they have seen in their life time as I did so myself and is what I meant in the title as I’m pretty sure none of us have been around since 1867

end of the day fella we’re all Wednesday fans on here and I don’t really see the need for any petty sniping between each other.

apologies if I’ve missed out any capital letters comma’s and full stops,I must try harder next time.

UTO

Yep most have responded based on what they've seen for themselves. 

A really difficult one to pick a top 3. 

The Golden age of the 91 team happened when as I was a bit older and past that posters on the wall hero worship stage, too easy to pick from that squad. 

Waddle was in a list of his own, the best player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt by a country mile. 

Otherwise...

1. John Sheridan - such an intelligent footballer, bossed the game and had vision even Barry Bannan would be envious of. 

2. Rolan Nilsson - just a phenomenal footballer. The most outstandingly consistent player I can recall.

3. Gary Bannister - the easy decision would be Hirst (probably the better player), but as a kid I wanted to be Gary Bannister and pretended to be him on the school football field every day and cemented my love of football and Wednesday.

Ellis Rimmer, 418 appearances, 140 goals as a winger, 2 league titles, 1 FA cup, 1 charity shield, scored 2 goals in our last FA cup final victory, scored in all rounds of the FA cup, only 12 players have ever managed that in the history of the FA cup. 

I’m going to go against the grain here with everyone choosing players from the 90’s.

1. Ellis Rimmer, 418 appearances, 140 goals as a winger, 2 league titles, 1 FA cup, 1 charity shield, scored 2 goals in our last FA cup final victory, scored in all rounds of the FA cup, only 12 players have ever managed that in the history of the FA cup. 

2. Andrew Wilson, 545 appearances, 216 goals, Wednesdays all time top scorer and the player the most appearances. Won the league twice and the FA cup once. Oldest player to play for us until Trevor Francis.

3. Tommy Crawshaw, Sheffield born lad, 418 league appearances, 25 goals as a centre half, captained Wednesday, won 2 league titles and 2 FA cups.

Fred Spiksley and others from that area deserve a mention.

Edited by ohgoditsjames

1. Tony Kaye (without a doubt)

2. Chris Waddle 

3. Roland Nilsson 

Every team needs a Kaye type of half back (midfielder) hard as nails.

Waddle possibly the best ball player.

Nilsson just a simply brilliant defender.

As a 4th I must put in another fan favourite our very own Terry Curran just a complete showman.