Latest on Argentinian interest in Josh Windass

14 minutes ago, andypandy said:

From Twitter.

josh.PNG

Negotiating tactic perhaps.

Not in any way desperate to see Windass leave, but fees in football (below EPL/parachute clubs) few and far between. 

Money in the bank and wages saved allows us to invest in perhaps two or more other players. It's a judgement call based on what Windass offers, when fit, which is far from guaranteed and evolving the squad longer term based on Windass' potential contribution next year as he's out of contract after that 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/professional-football-league/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/AR1N/plus//galerie/0?saison_id=2021&land_id=alle&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&leihe=&w_s=&zuab=zu

I know transfermarkt  has a high measurement uncertainty, but according to that, the largest purchase in the Argentinian League was for £2.6m for a former Argentinian international, also previously of Marseille.  Most of the big money signings are going to Boca, River Plate and Racing (the three clubs I've heard of).  

The idea we're going to get £2.5m+ for Windass from one of the smaller Argentinian clubs is 100% fantasy.  CS Lewis is spinning in his grave right now.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, striker said:

Negotiating tactic perhaps.

Yep.

His agent is already in Argentina supposedly, that would be strange if the deal wasn’t likely to happen. Think that would also indicate Windass fancies the move. 

Not to mention their President announcing on a radio they have interest in Windass.

All signs point to everyone wanting this deal to get done. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Manwë said:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/professional-football-league/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/AR1N/plus//galerie/0?saison_id=2021&land_id=alle&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&leihe=&w_s=&zuab=zu

I know transfermarkt  has a high measurement uncertainty, but according to that, the largest purchase in the Argentinian League was for £2.6m for a former Argentinian international, also previously of Marseille.  Most of the big money signings are going to Boca, River Plate and Racing (the three clubs I've heard of).  

The idea we're going to get £2.5m+ for Windass from one of the smaller Argentinian clubs is 100% fantasy.  CS Lewis is spinning in his grave right now.

I would also want to see us receive the cash up front to protect ourselves

• Like 1

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's just this season, really.

He played 44 times for us last season.

Just sod's law he barely kicked a ball in anger for us in League One, where he could have made the world of difference if he'd played a similar amount.

44 times?

I thought it was far less than that. Very strange he’s been buggered all this season then. 

• Like 1

Not particularly bothered either way TBH. If we keep him he might do well but it’s not a certainty by any means. Still think signing Windass and Paterson to play up front in the championship was daft and a big reason we went down when we did.

• Like 3

I could easily see a scenario where multiple offers come in for Windass once other clubs see there is serious talk of us letting him go. Loads of clubs historically have been linked with him and might take a bit of a gamble on his fitness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

More likely 1 mill plus future add ons.

I think it’s very reasonable to say Windass would’ve made the difference between playoffs and autos last season. So in that sense I’d be disappointed to see him go.

On the flip side he turns 29 during next season, only has one year left on his contract, will be on a pretty high salary, has just missed a whole season through injury and might not suit our style of play. 

As with most player sales it comes down to the fee and the replacement. If we get a million pounds and replace him with an exciting free transfer or premier loan leaving the rest of the money to be invested elsewhere then happy days. If we get £250k and bring in a replacement of clearly inferior quality then I’d rather he stayed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Alfie May is among the best attackers in the division based on last season. He probably wouldn't be cheap? But if we did sell someone like Windass, then we could potentially reinvest it on someone like that, at this level, below or via top flight or 2nd tier loan. It would be daft to throw money around again, after the years of decline and off the pitch trouble it as caused us in the past. I personally hope we learnt our lesson this time and carry on the smart business and progress achieved last summer and last season. Whereas Ipswich threw money at it and didn't even make the play offs. 

I would like us to go for him too based against us and the reviews

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Lets look / Cringe  for one last time at that final league table where we had a fit and a "playing" Josh Windass .....

Makes you think is it really worth the risk? ......

2plmy2fmhwx61.png.3ca1f10c525d36b76830e476c272078a.png

Note the very last line re points deduction. Nothing to do with Windass being fit or not.