Latest on Argentinian interest in Josh Windass

I'd hope we would accept but only if it's s good deal for the club and if it helps us to reinvest in the team upfront and at the back are key areas we need to strengthen. If he does go I'd like us to consider going for the likes of Alfie May, Vadaine Oliver or Dom Telford from the lower leagues. 

50 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

I'd hope we would accept but only if it's s good deal for the club and if it helps us to reinvest in the team upfront and at the back are key areas we need to strengthen. If he does go I'd like us to consider going for the likes of Alfie May, Vadaine Oliver or Dom Telford from the lower leagues. 

I think they would be our choices if skint or having limited funds. If we generated some income I’d like to think we could bring in better. I’d sign Oliver though as we need a physical presence off the bench/squad player and he’s likely cheap

The bit I don’t like about the comment I read is that their manager has already made contact with Windass. Didn’t think that was allowed? Maybe things are further down the line than we first thought. Also think Windass may have been given assurances he could leave if we don’t go up as this has materialised quickly at the season end.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, El Toro said:

The bit I don’t like about the comment I read is that their manager has already made contact with Windass. Didn’t think that was allowed? Maybe things are further down the line than we first thought. Also think Windass may have been given assurances he could leave if we don’t go up as this has materialised quickly at the season end.

Read further up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daizan10 said:

We need to get more than that. We paid peanuts cos we were negotiating with an administrator. 

Whose gonna pay more than that for a guy whose just missed 35 league games through injury 

High chance he is Injured again next season and we will have people moaning saying what a waste of wage and should of sold him 

500k for a average striker with major injury problems is a good price 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

Given how much he earned for so little game time, i think he owes the club another season. However there isnt much loyalty in football

another season on the treatment table?

:duntmatter:

Think usually when our local journalists tweet stuff and I know joe crann been on here there usually “legs” in the rumers ? Might be wrong but usually if agent travel for talks then fee will have been agreed? Let’s hope we have better lined up? Someone who will play most of the season and be genuine partner for Gregory 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluesteel. said:

I think they would be our choices if skint or having limited funds. If we generated some income I’d like to think we could bring in better. I’d sign Oliver though as we need a physical presence off the bench/squad player and he’s likely cheap

Alfie May is among the best attackers in the division based on last season. He probably wouldn't be cheap? But if we did sell someone like Windass, then we could potentially reinvest it on someone like that, at this level, below or via top flight or 2nd tier loan. It would be daft to throw money around again, after the years of decline and off the pitch trouble it as caused us in the past. I personally hope we learnt our lesson this time and carry on the smart business and progress achieved last summer and last season. Whereas Ipswich threw money at it and didn't even make the play offs. 

I suspect when the club say no bid had been received they mean no official bid in writing.  

There's quite likely been a verbal bid in principal and we've allowed Windass and his agent to speak to the Argentinian club in good faith pending agreement between the 2 clubs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Get rid. Never warmed to the lad. 

Having a quick read through this thread, this was, word for word, exactly my thoughts!

Never really understood how highly he's rated by some. 

Would be very surprised if we got over half a million for him though, and part of me wants to see how we would do in League 1 over a season fully fit. 

Never really seen more than a bang average Championship player (at best) though.

• Like 2

It looks like there's definitely something in this, then.

I'm not surprised there's interest in a player of Windass' quality, but I can't say I expected it to come from Mexico!

I suppose the manager having worked with him at Rangers makes sense, though.

On the one hand, I'd be loathe to lose him, especially if the medical team think his injury issues are finally behind him, but if we can bring in a decent fee, then we may well have to take it when he only has 12 months left on his current deal.

The days of letting our better players run down their contracts and walk away for nothing simply have to be a thing of the past.

52 minutes ago, Otley Owl said:

Having a quick read through this thread, this was, word for word, exactly my thoughts!

Never really understood how highly he's rated by some. 

Would be very surprised if we got over half a million for him though, and part of me wants to see how we would do in League 1 over a season fully fit. 

Never really seen more than a bang average Championship player (at best) though.

Harsh. I think he has showed he is a good championship player.

• Like 1