Latest on Argentinian interest in Josh Windass

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Cheers - as I say, I'd not seen that before.

I suppose it comes down to semantics, as I'd definitely view him as an effective number 10 / second striker. I wonder what he views himself as if asked, then?

Him playing off Gregory in a 3-5-2 would work well, in my opinion. I also wouldn't be overly surprised to see us using a 4-2-3-1 at times, if the players recruited allow us to do so.

I assume we must have given permission for Windass' agent to talk to Talleres in order to see if a deal can be done, otherwise it would seem very odd for them to be talking about things so openly in the press. This aspect of it all makes me think that there's little prospect of him signing a new deal here, and the club are willing to cash in now rather than let him walk away for nothing...

At least I hope that's the case. The days of running down contracts simply have to end.

He says he’s a 10. But that’s where Bannan played his best stuff last season and Bannan is a better player than Windass. 

I thought in the game against Sunderland they looked alien playing next to each other. Windass drifts wide and drops deep just like a 10 but that leaves Gregory isolated.

In a 4231 I agree he would be good for the 10 , but then Bannan would have to play deeper in the 2 and we end up with him deeper than the CB’s when we do that.

It would be strange if he hasn’t been given permission but stranger things have happened. Either way it’s clear he wants the move, and to be fair I don’t blame him it’s an amazing league and country and a decent opportunity that not many British players get. 

I just don’t think it would be difficult to replace someone with 3 starts and 4 goals all season with £1m in our pockets.

Hopefully it doesn’t drag out. 

12 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

I know it’s a fair offer. But would we be able to replace him with better for £1 million? 

You don’t think we could replace a player with 3 league starts and 4 goals with £1m in the bank? 

We finished 5 points off the automatics without him. Why are so many scared to lose Windass? He hardly set the Championship alive the year before either. 

11 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

I know it’s a fair offer. But would we be able to replace him with better for £1 million? 

Depends on what you mean by better? If he stays there are no guarantees that he’ll be the missing ingredient that we lacked this season? He might find himself on the treatment table regularly?

I just think we might regret it if like many times before that we have held on to a player only to flounder and then lose that player for nothing.

I think Moore would bring in a decent forward to replace him but as before there are no guarantees that he’ll produce? I wonder if we might see more of Sow next season. He was reasonably effective in the time he had on the pitch and could yet prove to be the answer?

8 minutes ago, 0114 said:

He says he’s a 10. But that’s where Bannan played his best stuff last season and Bannan is a better player than Windass. 

I thought in the game against Sunderland they looked alien playing next to each other. Windass drifts wide and drops deep just like a 10 but that leaves Gregory isolated.

In a 4231 I agree he would be good for the 10 , but then Bannan would have to play deeper in the 2 and we end up with him deeper than the CB’s when we do that.

It would be strange if he hasn’t been given permission but stranger things have happened. Either way it’s clear he wants the move, and to be fair I don’t blame him it’s an amazing league and country and a decent opportunity that not many British players get. 

I just don’t think it would be difficult to replace someone with 3 starts and 4 goals all season with £1m in our pockets.

Hopefully it doesn’t drag out. 

Three starts and four goals last season doesn't mean that's what we'll get from him next season, which was my original point. If his injury issues are behind him, then I'd expect him to make a real difference for us at this level. 

Either way, your final comment is spot on: the last thing we want is a protracted transfer saga overshadowing our pre-season or beyond.

Either get him signed up beyond the end of next season, or get him sold whilst there's cash on the table.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

It's not just signing a replacement for a £1million fee though, is it? There are plenty of under 24 players who are coming out of contract and are looking for first team football. These are players that, regardless of Windass' salary, we could almost certainly afford to pay (and probably for a similar wedge). But say you have three equivalent contract offers on the table, are you going to be content signing for the club where you know you're behind in the pecking order of both Gregory and Windass, or are you gonna sign for the club where you're a guaranteed second starter? They want football, not bench time.

So yeah, I doubt we can get better than a fit Windass in the market at League One level, but I also think we can get a better team if we were to reinvest that money across 2 or 3 different positions.

I said the same last pre-season, when fees closer to double the one currently on the table were rumoured to being bandied about. I said we would be better reinvesting it across the squad, because 3 very good league one players are better for the team to have than 1 excellent league one player. And, ya know, it would be hard to argue that Windass was a top contributor last season. 

A fit Windass would be an incredible asset to any promotion campaign, but he's also not a magic key to it. I hope we do the sensible thing

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Three starts and four goals last season doesn't mean that's what we'll get from him next season, which was my original point. If his injury issues are behind him, then I'd expect him to make a real difference for us at this level. 

Either way, your final comment is spot on: the last thing we want is a protected transfer saga overshadowing our pre-season or beyond.

Either get him signed up beyond the end of next season, or get him sold whilst there's cash on the table.

I’d agree with you on the top point if he fit into what Moore played. However he’s not a striker & not a better 10 than Bannan. We scored plenty without him and I never really felt like goals was a massive issue for Wednesday especially post Christmas.

However our unsettled defence could be sorted with £1m and that for me could be the biggest difference from last season. 

3 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I’d agree with you on the top point if he fit into what Moore played. However he’s not a striker & not a better 10 than Bannan. We scored plenty without him and I never really felt like goals was a massive issue for Wednesday especially post Christmas.

However our unsettled defence could be sorted with £1m and that for me could be the biggest difference from last season. 

Good point.

I just look at our current attacking options and feel that we'll need some money spending there, too. Doubly so if Windass (who I do still think is more than capable of playing in a front two) leaves.

If Gregory breaks down next season, we're down to Sow and Paterson as things stand.

😳

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Good point.

I just look at our current attacking options and feel that we'll need some money spending there, too. Doubly so if Windass (who I do still think is more than capable of playing in a front two) leaves.

If Gregory breaks down next season, we're down to Sow and Paterson as things stand.

😳

Don’t get me wrong I still think we need a couple of strikers.  I reckon we have money to spend regardless of Windass’ potential transfer so that would be extra. 

Moore brought in better than I expected last summer and even January. Think with a bit of money at this level it can go a long way. 

• Like 1

So 1m offered or there or thereabouts. We had to bump Windass’ wage up last season to keep him, he’s not played so would we want to do that again to keep him/protect an asset with 12 months left?

At this stage I think it’s deciding whether his goals for a season are worth more than 1m. If we can get a replacement and have cash for maybe another ie 1 out 2 in and break even then maybe we do it. Ideally they just cough up a few more £.

Overall it’s a good position for us as we cash in or we already have a better striking department by keeping him (assuming his injuries are done).

7 hours ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Scored for fun for Wigan??

Yea,  Reyt.

Windass for Wigan:-  Nine goals in 56 appearances. 1 every 6.22 games.

Nuhiu for Owls:-       Fifty goals in in 277 appearances. 1 every 5.54 games.

Even the biggest Atdhe fans would never claim that he scored for fun.lol

I thought all strikers got a lot of fun out of scoring. lol

15 minutes ago, prowl said:

I thought all strikers got a lot of fun out of scoring. lol

I used to, but my wife would get a bit cross now :ph34r:

(what type of scoring are we talking about though, is it the type I was thinking of from my youth in nightclubs?)

lol

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'd say so, yeah.

He's certainly in our best pairing alongside Gregory, at the very least.

All things being equal, I wouldn't put Paterson or Sow in ahead of him.

Neither would I, but I’d strongly prefer getting rid and using the money on a proper striker.

47 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Neither would I, but I’d strongly prefer getting rid and using the money on a proper striker.

Since he joined Wednesday, Windass has had a direct involvement in a league goal every 156 minutes. Under Darren Moore, it's every 124 minutes. In League One, it's every 61 minutes.

For someone who's 'not a proper striker', he's not doing too badly, is he?

The attacking threat Windass carries will be very difficult to replace whilst we're a League One club, and we already have a 'proper striker' (I assume you mean 'centre forward') in Gregory, and can more easily recruit others to play the traditional centre forward or target man role, if that's what we want.

But a player like Windass is a real ace in the hole for a League One club, and not one we should cast aside lightly.

For me, we have three likely outcomes:

a) Windass stays and signs a new deal beyond next summer

b) Windass is sold for a decent fee and we reinvest in the squad

c) Wednesday reject all offers, keep Windass and he leaves on a free next summer

I'm happy with either a) or b). 

c) would be a disaster.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Since he joined Wednesday, Windass has had a direct involvement in a league goal every 156 minutes. Under Darren Moore, it's every 124 minutes. In League One, it's every 61 minutes.

For someone who's 'not a proper striker', he's not doing too badly, is he?

The attacking threat Windass carries will be very difficult to replace whilst we're a League One club, and we already have a 'proper striker' (I assume you mean 'centre forward') in Gregory, and can more easily recruit others to play the traditional centre forward or target man role, if that's what we want.

But a player like Windass is a real ace in the hole for a League One club, and not one we should cast aside lightly.

For me, we have three likely outcomes:

a) Windass stays and signs a new deal beyond next summer

b) Windass is sold for a decent fee and we reinvest in the squad

c) Wednesday reject all offers, keep Windass and he leaves on a free next summer

I'm happy with either a) or b). 

c) would be a disaster.

What about d) Windass stays, signs a new deal and has two more seasons like the last one? That would be a disaster too.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

What about d) Windass stays, signs a new deal and has two more seasons like the last one? That would be a disaster too.

It would.

He's never had a season like last in his career before though, has he?

We've just got to trust the medical team's assessment on that front, I suppose.

If they think there's a long-standing issue, then sell, sell, sell.

If not, then we're back where we started.