Pitch Invasion trend recently

Now the EFL seasons are finally over think it’s about time we talked about the pitch invasion “trend” going on recently. To be honest at times it’s embarrassing. I’m all for fans enjoying the moment but attacking and abusing opposition players is just poor to be honest. Not only that but watching Everton the other night from a neutral perspective was just embarrassing too. Fans running on the pitch before full time and when they escape relegation they are celebrating like they have won the champions league. Despite that enough action is not being done I’m not against pitch invasions but I think there’s a time and a place. There’s needs to be a rule regarding point deduction for pitch invading in low priority games it’s the only way to stop this. Again I’m not saying ban them but they needs to be a systems in place to stop the pointless invasions. 

thoughts people? 

Edited by Joe.swfc
  • Like 1

I don't mind pitch invasions at the end of a game to celebrate... But taking it to a whole new level by abusing players verbally and physically is getting out of hand.

Also those that use it as an excuse to vandalise anything and everything - goals posts, corner flags etc etc. It's pathetic really. 

I don't find Everton fans embarrassing for celebrating avoiding relegation like they've won the league. It's a long old season and when battling relegation you finally get that relief that your team has done it and avoided the drop. Why not celebrate? 

But to goad the opposition manager, who the result had no bearing on at all is ludicrous and just shows the intentions of some are not to celebrate, but to cause trouble. 

• Like 1

No harm at all in fans letting off steam and celebrating their good fortune at the end of a season IMHO.

However, people who attack and intimidate opposition players, match officials, stewards, opposition fans, or damage property etc should feel the full force of the law and be dealt with severely - otherwise the problem will only get worse next season.

Find them incredibly boring.  These big matches are about the only time you ever get to see a slight bit of emotion from the players you pay a lot of money to go watch every week, but instead of seeing that they mostly run off the pitch as quickly as they can and do all that in the changing room.  Why not stay in the stand and actually give the players the chance to celebrate with you?

And that's before we've even got into the realms of football herd mentality, and fans doing it purely because they've seen someone else do it the week before.

Title wins, promotion and a last day relegation survival are acceptable reasons to invade a pitch. 

Staying up with room to spare, play off semi finals etc.,is the absolute definition of tinpot. 

Regardless, going on the pitch with the intention of abusing or physically assaulting the opposition players, coaching staff is the absolute high of tw@ttery. 

2 hours ago, thesouthowl said:

After watching these in the last week or so-it looks the must tin pot thing ever!

Don't get why anyone feels the urge to run on the pitch anyway-maybe it's just me?

Yeah agree mate apart from city winning the league on the final day all the pitch invasions have just seemed pointless and tinpot. Like fans want to pitch invade just for a bit of popularity on social media to hide the tinpot clubs they really are 

1 hour ago, Mickjj said:

Everyone having a go at fans celebrating staying up should think back. 

20220523_170832.jpg

Not having a go and fans celebrating just saying abusing players and running on during pointless games is just stupid 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a pitch invasion for a big moment (e.g - Everton, City etc).

Forest's was tinpot as they still have the big game to come.

However, nothing as tinpot as us back in the day. I remember running on the pitch at the end of the season to celebrate nothing in about 2002 or 2003 when we probably finished about 19th in the league. 

• Haha 1

Pitch invasions have always been a thing, and I have no issue with them. 

What isn’t immediately obvious to me is why people on the pitch are now taking cracks at players. 

Lots of media blame laid at the Covid door, but I can’t get my head around the idea that ‘people have forgotten how to behave’ and somehow think it’s now ok to start swinging.

Is it societal? Is it a seemingly ever rising number of coked up fans being idiots? Is it a copy cat thing now a few people have got the trend going? Or is it that the media (and social media) are making it more obvious? Don’t get what has changed. 

Edited by TheBoyBeevers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

Pitch invasions have always been a thing, and I have no issue with them. 

What isn’t immediately obvious to me is why people on the pitch are now taking cracks at players. 

Lots of media blame laid at the Covid door, but I can’t get my head around the idea that ‘people have forgotten how to behave’ and somehow think it’s now ok to start swinging.

Is it societal? Is it a seemingly ever rising number of coked up fans being idiots? Is it a copy cat thing now a few people have got the trend going? Or is it that the media (and social media) are making it more obvious? Don’t get what has changed. 

I think the Coked up bit plays a big part in people attacking players.

• Like 1