Different look at Goalkeeper thread.

I've read all the comments on the other keeper thread and no one has mentioned the obvious, we have a goalkeeper coach, Adrian Basso, is he good enough, should we try and get a better qualified coach, we have had some great keepers in the past, but I think Rotherham have always had good keepers, they have two excellent keepers now and I think a lot of it is to do with the coaching, we need a better coach imo.

29 minutes ago, mogbad said:

BPF improved after a few months with Basso, which is more than can be said for Dawson and Wildsmith with other coaches.

Good point, Dawson may improve further then under Basso but Wildsmith has been coached by him ?

15 minutes ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Good point, Dawson may improve further then under Basso but Wildsmith has been coached by him ?

He has but we didn't see enough of him in the second half of the season to know whether he's improved or not.

DM and Basso have obviously seen enough of him in training to warrant offering him a new contract when most of us expected him to be released.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

OT posters have two scenarios with goalkeepers the first is it's the defence left him exposed.  Westwood

The second he's rubbish doesn't control his defence.  Wildsmith Dawson

The third, rubbish goalies and rubbish defence.

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2022 at 14:14, mogbad said:

BPF improved after a few months with Basso, which is more than can be said for Dawson and Wildsmith with other coaches.

Wildsmith and Dawson went backwards when Rhodes left. Probably because they had been under him for a long time and a new coach comes in and tries to change the fundamentals which you should not do with keepers this far into their development, should just be tweaked to accommodate the new coaches methods.

Our GK department was the best it had been for a long time when Andy Rhodes was here. Westwood as #1 and a couple of exciting young deputies in Dawson and Wildsmith. 

It may just be a timing thing now that we don't have an established #1 and that Dawson and Wildsmith didn’t establish themselves to the same level as Westwood and maybe they never would have had Rhodes stayed.

As a club we did well to get in BPF last season and wouldn’t have finished 4th otherwise in my opinion.

Thinks it’s unfair to label Basso as unsuitable though. He’s kept out #1 at the top of his game this season hasn’t he? As for Wildsmith, maybe he’s as far as he can go in his development?!

Eh, these goalkeepers have worked under several goalkeeper coaches starting with billy mercer who has gone on to coach for years in the premier league 

add Andy Rhodes, Nicky weaver and now I’ve season basso into that I think it’s strange to pin their development on the coach 

now the other side would be what on earth do any of us know about the credibility and effectiveness of our keepers coaching it’s an impossible thing to comment on unless we are privy to the watching the training 

bit harsh in basso if you ask me